• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

BackLoafRiver

Right now, the only thing I am eyeing is an upgrade to the DT -Swiss 350's. I'd like to throw in something with better engagement, an I9 torch is the frontrunner right now.

snoseek

Any more details on the fork, steerer size and length, travel, pics, etc..?

Parts are in friends basement back east but he will ship for me.

Details:
1 1/8 straight steering tube. It's cut at 8 inches even. 20 mm thru axel (keep in mind if you don't have a matching wheel I'm selling one)
160 mm travel
I can text a pic as soon as buddy sends me one
Buttery soft travel

not 2013 but 2012-my bad

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/d...=1561&IdFolder=113&idMY=59618&IdOggetto=59711

That exact model. Fork is mint...not for weight weenies but great all mtn performance in new england

bvibert

Staff member
Parts are in friends basement back east but he will ship for me.

Details:
1 1/8 straight steering tube. It's cut at 8 inches even. 20 mm thru axel (keep in mind if you don't have a matching wheel I'm selling one)
160 mm travel
I can text a pic as soon as buddy sends me one
Buttery soft travel

not 2013 but 2012-my bad

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/d...=1561&IdFolder=113&idMY=59618&IdOggetto=59711

That exact model. Fork is mint...not for weight weenies but great all mtn performance in new england

I'm definitely no weight weenie. I have a 20mm conversion kit for my current front wheel, I've just been waiting to get a fork.

I'm interested, I just need to check on my steerer tube length, my bike has a huge head tube, so I have to run a longer than typical steerer. I'm pretty sure I'm still running with an uncut steerer at the moment, so 8" might be too short. I'll check tonight.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm definitely no weight weenie. I have a 20mm conversion kit for my current front wheel, I've just been waiting to get a fork.

I'm interested, I just need to check on my steerer tube length, my bike has a huge head tube, so I have to run a longer than typical steerer. I'm pretty sure I'm still running with an uncut steerer at the moment, so 8" might be too short. I'll check tonight.

8" steerer is too short for me. I would just be able to get the stem on, but I need some spacers underneath to get my handlebars where I want them.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm gathering up the parts to finish off my 1x conversion that I mostly did this last summer. Since my drivetrain was due for a replacement anyway I decided to spend a little extra and go from 9 speed to 10 speed in the back while I was at it.

When I first converted to the single ring up front I just used the 32T ramped chain ring that I already had on there, and left the front derailleur (limit screw set to lock it in the middle) to act as a chain guide. I also had a 11-32 rear cassette, which obviously only gave me a 1:1 climbing gear. That actually worked out a little better than I thought it would, but still I wanted a little bit better climbing gear. Since I'm almost never in need of higher gears I decided to go with a 30T Race Face Narrow Wide ring. The NW rings are supposed to aid with chain retention, so no more front derailleur. To further ensure that I was able to keep the chain from falling off in rough terrain I upgraded to a clutch rear derailleur, a Zee Shadow+ short cage to be exact. Top it all off with a 11-36 10 speed cassette and Saint shifter. With 30:36 I'll have a better climbing gear, while still retaining the ratios that most often use. I can't wait to see how it all works out when I get it together.

I'll also be checking out the pivots in the rear suspension, which probably need new bearings at this point, and whatever other normal maintenance is needed.

Anyone else have any projects going on?

Took my first ride on the 1x10 over the weekend, it worked great, as expected! I was a little worried that the gearing would be too low for the road, but it wasn't a big deal for the riding that I do. That's probably the only road ride I'll do this year anyway. I setup the gearing to be optimal in the woods, and I'm still confident it will be. I'll be getting out on the dirt with it this afternoon, so I'll know soon enough.

Never did get around to going through the rear pivots.. :-?