• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

bvibert

Staff member
Seems like all the higher end rings are. I'm not sold on using alloy, but I ordered one anyway. Mine's a Blackspire something or another. Should be here tomorrow.

MR. evil

Thanks guys, looks like I don't have to do a lot of research on drive train parts!

is that sarcasm?

I am too lazy to go back and look, but did you ask a question about drive train parts that we ignored?

MR. evil

Chainrings, chain, maybe cables. You think a rear derailleur is needed after 2 years and about 1000 miles on it?

If it has been 1000 miles I would do a big overhaul. Your very lucky, none of my stuff even comes close to lasting that long

New cassette
New chain rings
New chain
New rear der
New cables AND housing.
Maybe even replace the BB

I would also change your brake pads & rotors. Drain and bleed the hydro lines if you have never done so. I would also spend a little extra $$ and get an XT or X9 (depending on your shifters) rear der as they perform much better than SLX and X7. Seeing how I go through at least (2) rear der’s per season I always get X7 as I can’t justify spending extra on something I know will break soon. But you are much gentler on your bike than I am.

o3jeff

I see on the brake pads for the Avid Elixer they have organic and the organic with alloy back($5 more) what's the difference?

o3jeff

For brake rotors I currently have 180 front and 160 in the rear. Should I bump up the sizes and get the adapters or keep what I currently have? I think I ride too slow for it to matter much!

o3jeff

Think I got all the major parts on order. Brake rotors, organic pads, rear cassette, rear derailleur, front chain rings. Just need to stop at Suburban and order the rear suspension busing kit that is on back order(month or so).

Then just debating on either rebuilding the Fox dhx 4.0 air(which I guess is ok, but sounds like there are a lot of better shocks out there) or just picking up an new Rockshox RT3 for about $50 more and then being able to have it serviced and adjusted by Push since the only ones that will touch that Fox model is Fox.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Can't wait to get out again on my road bike. Got in five rides when it was warmer, it has been pretty brisk up here since.

Just put on a Thompson zero set back seat post. Over the winter, I swapped out to a shorter stem because I felt too stretched out. The repositioning was GREAT but I lost a lot of forward weight that was shifted to the rear. Not having as much weight on the forward wheel just didn't quite feel right even though I was more comfortable. The seat was already all the way forward so I got the zero setback and just put the longer stem back on. Looking forward to seeing if I found my ideal positioning once it gets warm enough to ride.

Decided to try 700-25 tires instead of the current 23. Been reading a lot of stuff online lately that there really is no performance decrease going bigger and at 220lbs, I wouldn't mind a little less PSI using a bigger tire.

Previous had debated going 13-26 on my cassette for fewer big jumps. Glad I didn't. I use my 12t more than I thought I did during the winter when I was thinking about this. I just need to manage the big ring jump better and memorize where that missing tooth is so I can have the gear I want.

bvibert

Staff member
Think I got all the major parts on order. Brake rotors, organic pads, rear cassette, rear derailleur, front chain rings. Just need to stop at Suburban and order the rear suspension busing kit that is on back order(month or so).

Then just debating on either rebuilding the Fox dhx 4.0 air(which I guess is ok, but sounds like there are a lot of better shocks out there) or just picking up an new Rockshox RT3 for about $50 more and then being able to have it serviced and adjusted by Push since the only ones that will touch that Fox model is Fox.

Did you end up sticking with the same sized rotors?

prophet0426

Just got my 10mm thru axle conversion kit for the rear and a new RaceFace Turbine front chain ring in. Hoping to install tonight and ride in the morning. The RF chainring is really nice and I am very interested to see if I notice any increase is read stiffness with the thru axle. The DT Swiss RWS and Hope 10mm kit was a bit pricy. If I had to do again I would have bought the Hadley Thru axle which is much cheaper than the DT Swiss.

I run the same setup on my GT. I have a 10mm through axle setup on a DT Swiss 240 hub. It's amazing the difference from a 9mm and how stiff the read end is now.