• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

bvibert

Staff member
I think most of us are also skiers/boarders, but does anyone have any cycling related projects going on the for the winter; bike builds, rebuilds, new parts, trail scouting, etc??

For myself, I need to remember what wasn't working on my bike when I stopped riding it so long ago, then I need to fix it. I'm pretty sure my rear derailleur is effed up, so that's on the list. I'll do new cables, chain, and cassette while I'm at it. Also need to think about a new rear wheel. I suppose getting into shape so the first ride in the spring doesn't completely suck would be good too. Last year I was rushing to put my bike together after the ski season ended for me, this year I want to be ready to go as soon as things dry up.

o3jeff

My bikes are exactly how I left them after their last rides, was a pretty pathetic second half of bike season for me. I think everything worked decent on the last rides.

I do want to get a stationary bike set up to keep the legs in shape.

TheBEast

Doing spinning at the gym 1-2 days a week with a morning or two a week on the trainer in the garage. Most of my biking now a days is of the road variety since it's the easiest to do right out of the house and requires less time. Not much in terms of bike maintenance. Just need to get the new tires I bought for the road bike put on after the snow is gone, but I'm not wishing that away (although this weather event will have me back to grass in all of my yard.....grrrrrrr)!!

BackLoafRiver

3 off-season projects for me:

1) I want to upgrade both shifters to XT. (LBS has a great sale going on now) Would love to install them myself with some guidance from the shop.

2) Looking at testing out some of last seasons road bikes. I want to get into road biking. There are some great rides right out of my door but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. So clueless about what to even consider.

3) Get into riding shape via spinning. Still not where I need to be physically.

AngryHugo

Website
www.facebook.com
I only have a new frame for my road bike planned at the moment. Depending on what sponsor our team goes with, it's probably going to be either a Cannondale SuperSix or a Fuji Altamira. My wheels are pretty beat, so they'll probably get replaced late spring.

prophet0426

Well since I think I've only skied three times so far this season, my bikes have been getting a lot of use. I just finished tearing both bikes down (GT Froce1 and Raleigh XXIX SS) and rebuilding in a week’s time. Cleaned everything and new grease to everything. Bought a new set of hydro brakes, grips, and chian guide for the GT, now running a 1x9 setup. The Raleigh I basically kept the same, and just cleaned it up since I dropped a lot of new parts on the last year. Thinking of sending out my Fox front and rear shocks on my GT to get pushed, but don't want to be without the bike that long so I'll probably wait till next winter.

Well at least the riding is still good, since the skiing isn't....

I have a pair of Mavic CrossRides laced to Mavic hubs with certerlock rotors for sale if anyone is interested. Also have a brand new pair of Stratline levers (white) for Shimano pre 2009 hydro brakes to let go of as well.

WoodCore

Haven't got around to it yet but would like to have the fork on my 29er pushed and also need to replace the pivot bearings on the Blur. Of course I'll need the usual........new rubber, drivetrain and cleats for my shoes. Might also pick up a new Hydrapack.

Other than the bikes I'll be busy with a few trail projects I scouted in the fall come springtime.

MR. evil

New frame in transit, should be in my possession next Monday or Tuesday.

MR. evil

Nope.

I did consider getting a 29r, but while a 29r would be sweet for trail rides, it wouldn't be so hot for x-stuntry. But my fork is 650b (27.5" wheels) compatiable and It's possibly to fit a 650b on the rear with a smaller volume tire. May give that a try.

bvibert

Staff member
I used to love mountain biking in the winter... dress up warm. Even in the snow, although it can get sketchy

I don't even have enough time to get in the skiing that I want to in the winter, MTB can wait until the warmer months.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I agree Nick. Plus, at least for me, they kind of serve different purposes. You can keep fit on the mt. Bike in a good hard hour ride in the local woods during winter. My buddies and I had a pretty nice 2 hour ride yesterday morning. But myu fork needs to get pushed, I am leaking some oil on on side.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Need to start hitting the trainer a bit. Would be nice to get the legs ready for the spring. Besides, I'm definitely putting on a few extra pounds.

Considering changing my cassette. I have a 12-27 on a triple. Last season I started weening myself off the bottom two cogs even on climbs. Thinking about going 13-25. I hardly ever use the 12 except when spinning out and coasting down hill. 50/13 would get me 27 MPH on flats with no wind doing 90 RPM, a slight 2 MPH penalty compared to the 12 cog. I'm thinking I'll more enjoy 7 one cog jumps with no gaps and only two space gaps on the three largest cogs... that is something I could enjoy every ride vs those one or two group rides a year I might not be able to keep up with a ride ending sprint. Hmmm...

Been drooling over Lynskey's and Di2 lately. Don't think that will be happening any time soon. Definitely feel like I want a bit more since I started out with some fairly sub-par gear. 105 shifters and derailers but the rest of the bike is not the best, especially the frame (standing efforts are eye raising, I usually stay in my seat!). Already did my wheel upgrade last season.

MR. evil

New Frame arrived today. :beer:

I placed an order for some parts to finish the new build with the LBS on Jan 21st. Just called to see if my parts are in, only to be told that my order was actually placed yesterday Jan 30th (9 days later) WTF! Not only do I pay more ordering parts from the LBS, but now I also have to wait several weeks for an order to arrive. That’s just BS. I am on the verge of call up the shop and cancelling the order.

I was hoping to start building it up tonight, but kind of hard to get even the basics started with out a head set.

5spot-raw.JPG

Last edited:

o3jeff

New Frame arrived today. :beer:

I placed an order for some parts to finish the new build with the LBS on Jan 21st. Just called to see if my parts are in, only to be told that my order was actually placed yesterday Jan 30th (9 days later) WTF! Not only do I pay more ordering parts from the LBS, but now I also have to wait several weeks for an order to arrive. That’s just BS. I am on the verge of call up the shop and cancelling the order.

I was hoping to start building it up tonight, but kind of hard to get even the basics started with out a head set.

5spot-raw.JPG

Thats the same thing you had, just with the paint stripped off!

Who's sample window is that blue thing?

MR. evil

Thats the same thing you had, just with the paint stripped off!

Who's sample window is that blue thing?

That's not a sample window. It's a very large custom wood window (1 of 4) between my bosses office and my work station so he can make sure I'm not slacking off on AZ all day.

The frame is a 2011 5spot, the one I just sold was a 2008 5 spot. Big difference in the frame geometry as this one is much slacker and can handle up to a 160mm fork. The biggest difference is this one has a DW Link rear suspension.