• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Without Looking

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I have a pair of 45 inch Scott Riots (last years version). They started out at 48's and eventually got trimmed down inch by inch until they felt comfortable in the bumps. I'm 5'11... These are my everyday poles, and tend to get bent. Feels like I go through a couple pairs of poles a season.

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=8622

Also have a pair of Blackdiamond flip lock adjustables... well two pairs. I sheered one in half skiing some slackcountry at the loaf last season, but these things are pretty cheap on sale, so I don't feel to bad. Nice to have the adjustability for touring.

kbroderick

I went from three pairs of poles down to one after I quit racing (and my GS poles mysteriously disappeared at some point)--a pair of 52" Scott WC racers. I'm 5'9", and I have no desire whatsoever to go any shorter.

JimG.

Staff member
I went from three pairs of poles down to one after I quit racing (and my GS poles mysteriously disappeared at some point)--a pair of 52" Scott WC racers. I'm 5'9", and I have no desire whatsoever to go any shorter.

I have a friend who now lives in CO in Summit County who swears by long poles too. Frank is a bit shorter than you and uses 52" poles. And he's mainly a bump skier and an excellent one at that. He has a unique style and holds his hands way up around his upper chest/neck.

I can't make that style work for me, but I can't argue that it works really well for him.

2knees

I have a friend who now lives in CO in Summit County who swears by long poles too. Frank is a bit shorter than you and uses 52" poles. And he's mainly a bump skier and an excellent one at that. He has a unique style and holds his hands way up around his upper chest/neck.

I can't make that style work for me, but I can't argue that it works really well for him.

well i just went out and bought 44" poles on your advice. World domination will be mine.

Grassi21

I just grabbed a pair of 46" Scotts. I tried to find 44s but had no luck. I was gonna return those 48s but my wife is 5' 10" and can use the Lekis.

Hawkshot99

I just grabbed a pair of 46" Scotts. I tried to find 44s but had no luck. I was gonna return those 48s but my wife is 5' 10" and can use the Lekis.

Well if you relly want 44" poles they are easy to make. Take a hair dryer and heat up the grip to loosen the glue. Use a vise(or something to hold the grip) and pull on the shaft. The handle should pop right off. Then cut down the shaft 2". Use a rubber mallet and hit the grip back on.

Grassi21

Well if you relly want 44" poles they are easy to make. Take a hair dryer and heat up the grip to loosen the glue. Use a vise(or something to hold the grip) and pull on the shaft. The handle should pop right off. Then cut down the shaft 2". Use a rubber mallet and hit the grip back on.

I might give it a try. I used 48s last year. The seemed fine but I wasn't really using them effectively until late in the season. I'm gonna try the 46s and see if I need to do some cuttin'.

BeanoNYC

I know they're K2's ... that's it. The funny thing is that I never took them out of my car from last year and I see them all the time.

eastcoastskiier

last season i picked a pair of the K2 public enemy poles.. they were a nice pair of composite shafts with a good grip for freestyle. plus they matched my skis.. but after rockin them in the park a little bit if my edge would ever touch the shaft doing a grab or something it was hell. it turns out that the graphic is basically a giant sticker, so when my edge would hit the shaft it would just start peeling away. this year im looking at a pair of some new Scott composites, i loved their pro graphite model last year, wish i had jumped on the offer. composite poles are DEFINETLY the way to go though, they are great for absorbing some of the shock, and if you fall on them they wont snap!.. different companies make their composites a variety of stiffnesses, some composite shafts will bend like crazy whereas other are right up there with te S2+S4 alluminum poles.. they are worth the money.. and many of the new poles have straps that DONT open all the way which allows you to pass your lock through them when securing your skis for lunch

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
composite poles are DEFINETLY the way to go though, they are great for absorbing some of the shock, and if you fall on them they wont snap!.. different companies make their composites a variety of stiffnesses, some composite shafts will bend like crazy whereas other are right up there with te S2+S4 alluminum poles.. they are worth the money.. and many of the new poles have straps that DONT open all the way which allows you to pass your lock through them when securing your skis for lunch

Sorry hombre, I completely disagree. I really dislike composite poles and they way they feel like they are going to give away right when you need them most. For the amount I snap regular poles, it is still worth it to me to have a solid feeling as opposed to the wet noodle composites!

JimG.

Staff member
well i just went out and bought 44" poles on your advice. World domination will be mine.

I made a big time score on the pole front yesterday. Picked up a pair of adjustable Goode composites...42" to 50" range. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got 'em on sale too.

JimG.

Staff member
Sorry hombre, I completely disagree. I really dislike composite poles and they way they feel like they are going to give away right when you need them most. For the amount I snap regular poles, it is still worth it to me to have a solid feeling as opposed to the wet noodle composites!

Interesting how preferences differ.

Once I tried composites I could never get into using aluminum poles again. And what you don't like is what I like best about composites...the feeling that they aren't really there. The flexibility is another key feature...keeps me from cheating by trying to balance on my poles. Ensures that light pole touch, punishes the heavy pole plant.

Greg

Staff member

Aha! The hair dryer is a good idea. :idea: I tried to yank my grips off my old Lekis with no luck.

zook

Without looking I'd say I have 50" Carbon Goode. I don't think I could go back to aluminum poles now - or at least I would not enjoy it - but to each his own.

JimG.

Staff member
Without looking I'd say I have 50" Carbon Goode. I don't think I could go back to aluminum poles now - or at least I would not enjoy it - but to each his own.

Zook, how tall are you?

I'm 6'3" and I use 46" poles, and I prefer 44" poles when skiing bumps. Granted I prefer a shorter pole.

50" poles sound too long for you unless you're 6'5" or taller.

zook

I'm 6'0. Just started skiing two years ago and that's the length that most of the guides suggested, it also fit the 90-degree-angle rule.

They are adjustable though, so no problem cutting them shorter if I decide to go shorter. So far they've been OK.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm 6'0. Just started skiing two years ago and that's the length that most of the guides suggested, it also fit the 90-degree-angle rule.

They are adjustable though, so no problem cutting them shorter if I decide to go shorter. So far they've been OK.

Very good.

Once you start to ski bumps you will probably want to try a shorter length.

eastcoastskiier

Different companies makie different types of composite poles, Goode for instance makes a SUPER SOFT pole, that i would feel uncomftorable using, considereing the amount of pressure that i need to release my Axial bindings, Rossignol on the other hand created a composit pole that the lower and upper of the shaft was normal, but the center of the shaft was square, making it super stiff in the core, this allowed the vibrations to be absorbed in the top and bottom, while having almost no give in the center, actually it felt more solid then a standard alluminum pole. Everyone has a different view on what feels good though

eastcoastskiier

Different companies make a wide variety of poles. Goode and i know Kerma make their composits SUPER SOFT, you need to be a really small person to use them without having them really bow out. Rossignol i know made a composite pole that the tip and grip ends were standard, but the center was square shaped. This allowed thje vibrations to be dampened in the top and bottom of the pole, where the center was stiffer then most alluminum poles, if you really like the stiff poles but want something a little more forgivingthen somethign like that would be a great idea. When looking at poles compare a few, and you will quickly see how each model differs from the previous.. Everyone likes a different style, for me is a Med. stiff composite.