• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Without Looking

JimG.

Staff member
yo jim if your are 6'3"your poles are not to long, i can tell in your picture you are bent to far foward, you need longer poles, try lighter ones.:blink:

Not sure which pic you're referring to, but bending at the waist is always my biggest technique issue. It seems to get worse when someone is taking pics.

Anyway, the bend isn't because of my shorter poles...I had the same issue with the longer poles, even as long as 52".

Greg

Staff member
That and the fact that the Speed four with the foam grip is nearly impossible to cut down. The grips are basically imposible to remove without destroying them.

Interesting that you mentioned this as I was coming into this thread to say that I just successfully cut down my 4-speeds. The hair dryer on the grip worked well and I was able to twist the pole out of the grip which was in a bench-top vice with two pieces of wood to protect the grip. I thought the poles were 48" but they were actually 50" so I whacked them down to 47".

The last few times that i have been skiing, I've been quite cognizant of my poles/hand positions/yada-yada. I've come to realize that if I want my pole to be perpendicular to the ground, I have to keep my hands up near my face to prevent them from snagging on anything but groomers. I've been lowering my hands and holding the poles in a more parallel to the ground. I think I'm going to cut down my 4 speeds this weekend. Any other tips, Greg?

Not really. It was pretty easy. Just be sure to heat them up sufficiently. I like my poles at 47".

Just wanted to follow up here. Last night, one of my cut 4-speeds busted through the top of the grip. Just something to be aware of if anyone cuts them down. You might want to file the end of the pole to remove the jagged edge and/or cover with duct tape before reinstalling the grip. Or perhaps I'm just planting too hard.

JimG.

Staff member
Just wanted to follow up here. Last night, one of my cut 4-speeds busted through the top of the grip. Just something to be aware of if anyone cuts them down. You might want to file the end of the pole to remove the jagged edge and/or cover with duct tape before reinstalling the grip. Or perhaps I'm just planting too hard.

Or maybe your poles are still too long.

I now have my adjustable poles down to around 43" and my poles simply never get in my way anymore, I can keep my hands up and in front of me really nicely, and it's almost to the point I don't even think about it anymore. Really feels great in bumps. And it hasn't seemed to affect my skiing on flats, I just don't rely on my poles very much anymore. The hidden benefit is that to get any pole touch I need to exaggerate my angles so much it's helping me carve better too.

eastcoastskiier

with the new shapes skis, poles are quite useless for generally skiing.. You no longer need to plant and slide through your turns like you would on the straights.. for with shaped skis a simple transfer of weight to your inside leg and your golden... now with the bumps, lift lines and the hiking; welt those task are made easier with sticks

Greg

Staff member
That and the fact that the Speed four with the foam grip is nearly impossible to cut down. The grips are basically imposible to remove without destroying them.

Interesting that you mentioned this as I was coming into this thread to say that I just successfully cut down my 4-speeds. The hair dryer on the grip worked well and I was able to twist the pole out of the grip which was in a bench-top vice with two pieces of wood to protect the grip. I thought the poles were 48" but they were actually 50" so I whacked them down to 47".

The last few times that i have been skiing, I've been quite cognizant of my poles/hand positions/yada-yada. I've come to realize that if I want my pole to be perpendicular to the ground, I have to keep my hands up near my face to prevent them from snagging on anything but groomers. I've been lowering my hands and holding the poles in a more parallel to the ground. I think I'm going to cut down my 4 speeds this weekend. Any other tips, Greg?

Not really. It was pretty easy. Just be sure to heat them up sufficiently. I like my poles at 47".

Tonight I yanked the grips off my Lekis and cut another inch off the 4-speeds and put the Leki grips (which are harder and more durable) on the 4-speeds. The old aluminum Lekis had a bit bigger diameter than the 4-speeds so I made up the difference with some eletrical tape. I'm down to about 46 1/2".

wa-loaf

Got some 10+ yr old Lekis that are 44" I think. Another pair of backups in the same length that I bought at Killington in '94 when after I broke a pair. No idea what company.

Greg

Staff member
Tonight I yanked the grips off my Lekis and cut another inch off the 4-speeds and put the Leki grips (which are harder and more durable) on the 4-speeds. The old aluminum Lekis had a bit bigger diameter than the 4-speeds so I made up the difference with some eletrical tape. I'm down to about 46 1/2".

I lopped off another inch today. Down to 45 1/2"...

Mildcat

I lopped off another inch today. Down to 45 1/2"...

If you didn't spend most of your time in the bumps would you still go that short?

I'm 5'6" and use 46" poles. I think those are too long but one thing I like about that is it keeps my hands in a good position. If I start dragging my poles I know I'm dropping my hands. I don't spend a lot of time in the bumps but when I do I wish I had shorter poles. Maybe I'll chop off an inch or two for a happy medium.

BTW, without looking I have Scott Triton poles. I always buy cheapies.

o3jeff

I'm 5-8 and just got to test out yesterday the 44" poles I bought last week and I really liked them. Now I just have to work on moving my arms when I plant them.

Greg

Staff member
If you didn't spend most of your time in the bumps would you still go that short?

Probably not. I'm trying to find that happy medium of pole length that work well in the bumps, but are still long enough that I can plant them in the flats.

Mildcat

Probably not. I'm trying to find that happy medium of pole length that work well in the bumps, but are still long enough that I can plant them in the flats.

I'm sorry, I was too lazy to read all of the posts. I just read them all and realized you answered that already. I am thinking now though I might be better off chopping one inch off my poles. I'm a little nervous because I can't make them longer if I cut some off but they are cheap poles anyways so I guess it can't hurt to try.

Greg

Staff member
Interesting how preferences differ.

Once I tried composites I could never get into using aluminum poles again. And what you don't like is what I like best about composites...the feeling that they aren't really there. The flexibility is another key feature...keeps me from cheating by trying to balance on my poles. Ensures that light pole touch, punishes the heavy pole plant.

Right on. Right on. My old Lekis were taken away by the garbage man this fall. I'm on the composite K2 4-speeds full time this season. Love the light weight and "softness" of the pole.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm sorry, I was too lazy to read all of the posts. I just read them all and realized you answered that already. I am thinking now though I might be better off chopping one inch off my poles. I'm a little nervous because I can't make them longer if I cut some off but they are cheap poles anyways so I guess it can't hurt to try.

Fear of cutting.

Buy adjustable poles.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm 5-8 and just got to test out yesterday the 44" poles I bought last week and I really liked them. Now I just have to work on moving my arms when I plant them.

Just think about moving your elbows up & away from your torso and maintaining that stance. It's not flying, so don't go overboard.

Make sure your poles are plumb to the surface of the snow.

Use your wrists to make them move.

This is not gardening...no planting here. Touch instead.

I'll bet if you try all that your poles will seem too long still.

Mildcat

Fear of cutting.

Buy adjustable poles.

I went out to my garage and dug out an old pair. I think I'll cut those to try them out.

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I've been thinking about this for a little while. Thanks for the advice.