• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Edge Tune

Madroch

Sound advice- should have practiced on kids skis I just sold- will have to break out my old straight skis- also just ordered some new stones....

Madroch

Quick question- been working wit hteh TR edge tune-- practiced on some old skis, and it worked great on one of the newer pairs. When I tried to tune another- did not work well at all. I am assuming it is because I had not planed the sidewalls. I now have a sidewall planer-- and still did not work so well after planing sidewalls. I also diamond stone/rough stoened the edges in case they were hardened-- still not a good edge. I have dressed the grinding stone also. Still no luck. Is it possible the sidewalls have ruined the grinding stone. I have others-- and not sure what the life of each stone is-- may try a new stone.

drjeff

Quick question- been working wit hteh TR edge tune-- practiced on some old skis, and it worked great on one of the newer pairs. When I tried to tune another- did not work well at all. I am assuming it is because I had not planed the sidewalls. I now have a sidewall planer-- and still did not work so well after planing sidewalls. I also diamond stone/rough stoened the edges in case they were hardened-- still not a good edge. I have dressed the grinding stone also. Still no luck. Is it possible the sidewalls have ruined the grinding stone. I have others-- and not sure what the life of each stone is-- may try a new stone.

Sometimes I've found that if I manually create a bit more of an angle with the edgetune so that the stone in the dremmel engages the edge a bit more (read as I see sparks ;) ) that i'm fine and have yet to create an edge that way that's too sharp and causing the ski to really hook up and get grabby

Madroch

Thanks-- will try that-- I know that when practicing and I erred by not following the angle guide-- I got a really sharp edge.

drjeff

Thanks-- will try that-- I know that when practicing and I erred by not following the angle guide-- I got a really sharp edge.

My hunch is what happens after a couple of uses of the edge tune on a pair of skis, just like when you use a file guide and do it the "old fashioned" way, is that the 1st few times, as "setting" your new adge angles, relatively speaking your removing a bunch of material (edge + sidewall) to initially create that angle. Then after it's been established, most subsequent tunes at that same angle, unless there's been structural damage to the shape of the edge via rock hits, etc will be more of a polishing event rather than a major sparkfest like we've all seen the 1st couple of times we put the dremmel on the edges.

All I know is that even if the quantity of sparks I'm seeing while the dremmel is spinning that stone along my edge is done compared to the 1st pass with it across that same edge, I still end up with a SHARP edge :)