• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do chairlifts have to be so high?

Bene288

I'm sure there's some math involved. Slope, run and pitch probably factor in somewhere, but I'm not certain.

BenedictGomez

I suppose you could have lower lifts, but then you would need more stanchions, so it may come down to $$$$$. Cant say I've ever though about this!

speden

The lifts have to be high enough so that if the cable derails at one tower, the chairs will be held off the ground by the adjacent towers and won't crash into the ground.

zakyr

Good ideas... But still not convinced as to the true reason, especially in new England, as to why they have to be so high.

MadMadWorld

Good ideas... But still not convinced as to the true reason, especially in new England, as to why they have to be so high.

Some mountains like Smugglers, took off the top of their lift towers and lowered the cable to protect it from wind. It ended up being a great move for them. When Stowe's lifts are on wind hold, Smuggs lifts are spinning. It did make skiing Lift Line that much harder though!