• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I'm fed up and I've had enough of the Northeast

skiNEwhere

I'm tired of it being 50 degrees every other day
I'm tired of any precipitation always coming in the form of rain.
I'm tired of seeing the snow melt away the same day we get it.
I'm tired of hoping and praying for some snow only to get rain.
I'm tired of not being able to ski glades because even Northern resorts don't get enough snow.
I'm tired of trying to figure out how I can afford a 2000+ sq ft house that costs $500,000+.

I'm single and don't have any "attachments", so I have picked up and moved to Colorado.

jaja111

+1 but moving to Washington area. Taxed to death, fickle weather, hills instead of mountains, the cynical distrusting attitudes, ski areas becoming more concerned with golf courses, water parks, alpine slides, and ropes courses over anything done on the snow, etc. etc.

I do live in NY though. I wonder of my attitude would be different if I was in New England.

Warp Daddy

Yeah well not so soon boys m y sis moved to Colorado has a brand new home looking at Pikes Peak which BTW had NO SNOW even on the Peak in her latest pictures . There FIRST measureable snow was last week a whopping FOUR inches out of the dump that hit Denver :D:D

jaja111

Yeah well not so soon boys m y sis moved to Colorado has a brand new home looking at Pikes Peak which BTW had NO SNOW even on the Peak in her latest pictures . There FIRST measureable snow was last week a whopping FOUR inches out of the dump that hit Denver :D:D

Just returned from Bellingham, WA and got calf to knee deep everywhere at Baker. PNW is the only place aside form BC and Alaska that has better than average snow.

snoseek

Yeah tough year in Colorado but Pikes Peak doesn't sit in a very good area for snow really. That's why its two hours to the closest ski area from there.East of the divide is sheltered...

snoseek

As a side note I think this may be my only winter in Tahoe....We'llsee but I think I would rather be in the rockies.

I'm all set with winter in New England, rain followed by cold fronts that drop two inches to just cover the rocks-no thanks, I've had enough of those days/weeks/years

OP-where in Colorado? If you pick the right area houses can be had pretty cheap.

skiNEwhere

As a side note I think this may be my only winter in Tahoe....We'llsee but I think I would rather be in the rockies.

I'm all set with winter in New England, rain followed by cold fronts that drop two inches to just cover the rocks-no thanks, I've had enough of those days/weeks/years

OP-where in Colorado? If you pick the right area houses can be had pretty cheap.

Winterland. It's part of Idaho Springs nestled nicely at 10,000+ ft elevation in the rockies

snoseek

Winterland. It's part of Idaho Springs nestled nicely at 10,000+ ft elevation in the rockies

Nice location! Close to skiing, close to the city, cheap, quiet. You have great access to june/july skiing practically in your backyard.

mlctvt

Just moved to Utah from vt. You will like it.

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Utah. We loved it. My wife was so smitten she couldn't stop talking about it. She skied all day for the six days we were there, something she hasn't done in years. The mountain views, sun, enormous resorts just create an incredible experience.
As my wife said, this ruins it, every time we ski our home mountian now (Mount Snow)we'll be thinking of Utah.

Several friends retired there and we are seriously considering either spending winters here when we retire or possibly moving there altogether. I think our first step would be to rent a place for 1-2 months and talk to as many locals as possible.

Trailboss, do you live in Salt Lake City or one of the small towns surrounding it?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If it wasn't for family, I'd move out West in a heartbeat.

However, family is far more important than everything else in life combined, so here I stay.

ScottySkis

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Utah. We loved it. My wife was so smitten she couldn't stop talking about it. She skied all day for the six days we were there, something she hasn't done in years. The mountain views, sun, enormous resorts just create an incredible experience.
As my wife said, this ruins it, every time we ski our home mountian now (Mount Snow)we'll be thinking of Utah.

Several friends retired there and we are seriously considering either spending winters here when we retire or possibly moving there altogether. I think our first step would be to rent a place for 1-2 months and talk to as many locals as possible.

Trailboss, do you live in Salt Lake City or one of the small towns surrounding it?

You can rent a room in hostel for like 350 a month just check craiglist.org. people rent rooms in ski house fro months all time, i just saw ad for one last week. http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/roo/2815239953.html so cheap

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

I'm renting out a place for 800 a month to make sure I like the area, I've been talking to locals and everybody here is really nice, no ego problems or anything, which made me pull the trigger. I'm closing on a house as we speak. Not to mention I hear there is great backcountry skiing where I live and there has even been serious talk about Coors building a small ski resort. WIN!

snoseek

I'm renting out a place for 800 a month to make sure I like the area, I've been talking to locals and everybody here is really nice, no ego problems or anything, which made me pull the trigger. I'm closing on a house as we speak. Not to mention I hear there is great backcountry skiing where I live and there has even been serious talk about Coors building a small ski resort. WIN!

Been talking that up for years now. They just need to figure out the access road. The trails are already in place, It's good stuff to ski down low when avi dangers are an issue. Do you live up that way? If so that's awesome!!!!! Really good June skiing up that way, some crazy good stuff actually. Enjoy!