• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineReplay

laxski

Love the app so far have done 4 days at Mt Snow.Battery is no problem and you can easily use other functions on phone while in use. I have had fun with it will be doing 3 more days there this weekend.Tom M

jimmywilson69

Are we talking over the course of the day? Per run?

-w

It was off for the day which was about 13 runs and 2 hours of tracking.

The max/min elevations were different and were off by about 200 feet. perhaps it was my locaiton??

When I go out later this week I will run them simultanious again and see what happens.

I should've run them at Killington or Okemo last weekend, but never gave it a thought.

I did run phreesheez and it was pretty accurate based on a run all the way down great eastern.

dlokshin

Hi All,

My name is David and I'm one of the co-founders of AlpineReplay. Was checking some of our logs and noticed this referring URL so I thought I'd wander over and introduce myself. Feel free to ask me any questions or email me directly at david@alpinereplay.com. We have pretty good customer support at http://support.alpinereplay.com and will get back to you within the day if you have any problems. I'll try and remember to read this thread periodically, but I have a feeling I'm going to forget : ).

I see the big question on this thread is accuracy, so I thought I'd spend a little time on that. Accuracy for the most part depends on the quality of the GPS chip on your phone. We've done a lot of "research" on this and post occasional articles on our blog that you all might find interesting. Keeping your phone in an outside pocket helps a lot. We first built AlpineReplay to work anywhere, so right now vertical comes from the GPS readings. In about a week, they'll come from our mappings (where they can) which will make things much more accurate. In general position and speed are accurate.

Jumps: you may not be jumping, but your phone is, that's probably what we're detecting. To keep this from happening, make sure you keep your phone in a pocket where it doesn't have a lot of room to move around.

The website is a big part of our product as well, it's not just an app. We started from the idea that personal metrics are awesome, but being able to compare these with other people is much more awesome. We have XGame Gold medalists, Olympic Gold Medalists, and sponsored athletes using the site. You can see what their training looks like. Add your friends and compete in challenges. Sort the leaderboard by virtually any parameter and grouping. We really feel that this adds another dimension.

Sorry that was so long!

Best,
David

Cannonball

Keeping your phone in an outside pocket helps a lot.

David, thanks for all of the in-depth info. I'm digging this app. Here's a little pro/con on the one tip above.....

Pro: outside pocket means better GPS reception.
Con: Outside pocket on a day like yesterday (6degrees) exposes the phone to the cold and sucks the life out of the battery.
Pro of AR over other apps: I was simultaneously running AR and Sports Tracker. The cold did in my phone just as the day was ending and my phone crashed/auto shutoff. When I got home and unfroze/recharged my phone the AR data was all stored successfully (must continually update?). Whereas, the whole days worth of Sports Tracker data was completely lost (assuming because it did shutdown properly). That's the second that has happened with ST.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Used AlpineReplay this weekend, and it did kill my battery in about 2 hours, so it recorded less than half my ski days on Saturday and Sunday. At least I know I can ski 49 mph, which is actually kinda scary.

Stats: http://www.alpinereplay.com/stats/u?uId=17066&vId=45770

Like others, maybe my LG Ally is getting old-battery syndrome after 20 months. I already have an app that throttles the processor back when the screen is off to save battery life. Guess I will try JuceDefender as recommended, if I can fit it on my cheap phone.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hi All,

My name is David and I'm one of the co-founders of AlpineReplay. Was checking some of our logs and noticed this referring URL so I thought I'd wander over and introduce myself. Feel free to ask me any questions or email me directly at david@alpinereplay.com. We have pretty good customer support at http://support.alpinereplay.com and will get back to you within the day if you have any problems. I'll try and remember to read this thread periodically, but I have a feeling I'm going to forget : ).

I see the big question on this thread is accuracy, so I thought I'd spend a little time on that. Accuracy for the most part depends on the quality of the GPS chip on your phone. We've done a lot of "research" on this and post occasional articles on our blog that you all might find interesting. Keeping your phone in an outside pocket helps a lot. We first built AlpineReplay to work anywhere, so right now vertical comes from the GPS readings. In about a week, they'll come from our mappings (where they can) which will make things much more accurate. In general position and speed are accurate.

Jumps: you may not be jumping, but your phone is, that's probably what we're detecting. To keep this from happening, make sure you keep your phone in a pocket where it doesn't have a lot of room to move around.

The website is a big part of our product as well, it's not just an app. We started from the idea that personal metrics are awesome, but being able to compare these with other people is much more awesome. We have XGame Gold medalists, Olympic Gold Medalists, and sponsored athletes using the site. You can see what their training looks like. Add your friends and compete in challenges. Sort the leaderboard by virtually any parameter and grouping. We really feel that this adds another dimension.

Sorry that was so long!

Best,
David

David,

Any plans for creating "Group" features? Would love to have an AlpineZone "Group" where we could compare our stats just for those who are on the site or part of the group.

emmaurice2

Used the app for the first time today for a short trip to Mohawk. Overall I think it's great. Maybe it's my phone, but the tracking of my runs on the map is really off. It shows me going into the woods, definitely did not do this and it looks like it missed a trail that I went on. Can't wait to try it elsewhere.

Max speed was about 31mph, which is kind of what I figured it would be.

I like that you can compare stats with other skiers on the same mountain.

dlokshin

Hi all,

Lots of comments here so I'll try to answer all of them.

* Groups is something we definitely want to make. Probably more of a summer project than something that we can fit in this season.

* A 20 month old Android phone brings us back to Android 2.0. Hopefully your firmware has been updated, because there have been a lot of improvements in memory management, battery management, firmware for various chips, etc. It's no secret that GPS does drain the battery. But the screen drains more battery. My Nexus S (Dec 2010 release) runs a full day without a problem. So a lot of times this will be a phone by phone issue.

* If it has you going through the woods, this could be a combination of location issue + Google Maps issue. In general GPS should be accurate to 20 ft often times more accurate.

* Keep the feedback coming! Love hearing from our users.

Best,
David

zakyr

Says I hit 70 on gunstock today... Kind lost some credibility today... Really doubting the accuracy of this. I'm sure I hit 55ish but 70 seems way off.

If its not accurate, it's useless in my book.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
* A 20 month old Android phone brings us back to Android 2.0. Hopefully your firmware has been updated, because there have been a lot of improvements in memory management, battery management, firmware for various chips, etc. It's no secret that GPS does drain the battery. But the screen drains more battery. My Nexus S (Dec 2010 release) runs a full day without a problem. So a lot of times this will be a phone by phone issue.

I am running Android 2.2.2, rooted.

The JuiceDefender application has fixed the battery issue!

Cheese

Says I hit 70 on gunstock today... Kind lost some credibility today... Really doubting the accuracy of this. I'm sure I hit 55ish but 70 seems way off.

If its not accurate, it's useless in my book.

I was using it at Bretton Woods on Saturday. Another guy on the lift asked me if I was using Alpine Replay and I said yes. He then showed me his top speed of 68mph and said it was from trying to keep up with his son on a snowboard. Bretton Woods has nothing steeper than a blue trail and we were tracking out 1-2" of fresh snow when he showed me the max speed. Later in the day I tried to rip a run for fun. I didn't tuck but just pointed the boards straight down the hill. It didn't take long till wind and surface resistance overcame the pitch of the slope and all acceleration stopped. I recorded a whopping 40mph which I actually believe.

shpride

I've tried it twice at Blue Hills but it isn't picking up any data. It just says "acquiring GPD signal.". My iPhones GPS is working so I don't know what the problem is. I tried another ski tracker which was picking up the GPS signal but I don't think the stats were very reliable.

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
I haven't used this App or any others but I do keep a hand warmer with my phone to help with battery life when I'm taking pictures.