• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineReplay

JeWo

I've used it on my phone twice this weekend and I'm on Sprint. I didn't have any major issues, but it did took awhile to acquire a GPS signal. My friend's phone was the same and he's on Sprint too. My girlfriend have a T-mo phone and it got a GPS signal right away.

What we had to do was hit the play button and it would say trying to "acquire a GPS fix". While the app is running, we had to toggle GPS on the phone off/on and it would then get the green light with a GPS fix.

My friend's phone tracked all the jumps he had, but mine wasn't able to. I think that was user error on my part since I had the phone's accelerometer disabled.

On the first day, I had the app, bluetooth, and music running from around 9:30 to 12:45 lunchtime and the battery went down to about 48% from around 90%. This is with 3g turned off as well. I probably could have lasted the entire day, but I charged the phone during lunch.

Cannonball

I've used it 7 days so far. The first day or two days the novelty was pretty fun. But the more I've used it the more I've noticed that:
- It's not very accurate
- The features are not that compatible with the type of skiing/riding I do. If you're the type that sticks to groomers it'll give you some fun facts about speed, calories, vertical, etc. If you like to ski trees and other challenging terrain the stats it generates aren't very representative of reality. I guess it makes sense for them to gear it towards a more mass appeal. So no fault there, just a comment.

All in all it's kind of fun to check out. I skied with my 10 and 13 year old nephews and they thought it was fun. Although they couldn't care less about vertical, calories, etc. The battery drain isn't worth it for the info I get so I probably won't use it again. In the future I'm more likely to use a more "geo-centric" app that will be more helpful for BC and side country excursions. Google tracks, GPS essentials, SportsTracker, Everytrail, etc are all free and work better than AR for tracking "off map" stats.

octopus

i've tried to use it 3 times on 3 different mtns, it just doesn't work. iphone3s, at$t.mtns were sunday river, bretton woods and magic.

40Berg

Have used it four consecutive days at Park City and I think it's great. It has missed a run or two - and I can't figure out why - but I love the concept.

Wife has also downloaded it and loves watching her slope time increase, which is great for me... more time on the mountain for her means more time for me on the mountain.

Have had no battery issues as I limit the amount I use the phone while it's running. Have had no problem with the gps signal either.

A few additional things that would make it even better (admittedly, I haven't used the online version yet, only mobile, so ignore if these items have been addressed):
- A way to layer maps on top of each other to see how much of the mountain was covered over multiple days.
- A breakdown of greens vs. blues vs. blacks per day (I.e., 20% of runs were greens, 60% were blues, 20% were blacks).
- Incorporate trail names into run summaries.

Overall, fantastic app that I'm looking forward to using even more.

emmaurice2

Today was the first time I've seen any glitches in the app. I skied Plattekill today, but it says I skied at Belleayre. The map was correct for Plattekill but didn't recognize the area.

It definitely missed at least one run and part of another (I suspect it was probably a GPS issue more than an App issue?).

MrZ123

Would be nice to be able to see all the info Live, not just after the day is complete...

BenedictGomez

I'd like to pick one of these numerous GPS apps to use this season. Anyone have any addition thoughts and comments on:

Alpine Replay
My Tracks (GOOG)
GPS essentials
Phresheez,
SportsTracker
Everytrail
or any others not listed?

Most accurate, most useful, battery issues, etc............

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Glenn

I downloaded the paid (99 cents) version of Ski Tracks. I used it this weekend on my iPhone5. I was really impressed with the app. It gives you detailed information on each run...both up and down. It'll also give you average speed, top speed, total distance, total vert. You can really geek out on the data. No issues with the battery, I turned the tracker on, hit the home button and let it chug along in my pocket. You can pause it, so if you take a break, it won't record you sitting in the lodge, having a snack. You can share your day on Facebook. It'll post the summary chart (totals for the day), the map and another screen. I tried e-mailing my day to a buddy, but it just brought up an e-mail to support...and a file extension I wasn't familiar with. So FB it is for now.

dlokshin

Hi All,

My name is David, co-founder of AlpineReplay. There are a handful of apps out there, but I think that most of you will find that AlpineReplay is both the most accurate and has the most comprehensive set of features.

I think that what makes AlpineReplay unique is that it's not just about your stats. We have leaderboards so you can compare against other people all around the world; groups so that you can combine stats with your friends and run competitions; we have site wide competitions where we team up with manufacturers like K2 to give away cool prizes; there's the video feature where we super-impose stats right on video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IijLC9R-xRI&feature=plcp&hd=1); and much more. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have for me.

Best,
David

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hi All,

My name is David, co-founder of AlpineReplay. There are a handful of apps out there, but I think that most of you will find that AlpineReplay is both the most accurate and has the most comprehensive set of features.

I think that what makes AlpineReplay unique is that it's not just about your stats. We have leaderboards so you can compare against other people all around the world; groups so that you can combine stats with your friends and run competitions; we have site wide competitions where we team up with manufacturers like K2 to give away cool prizes; there's the video feature where we super-impose stats right on video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IijLC9R-xRI&feature=plcp&hd=1); and much more. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have for me.

Best,
David

David - is there a way to make the groups page a permalink so that it can be accessed externally? If I try to share a link, it shows up as your landing page, not the group page. It would be awesome to make the group page accessible and then if someone isn't a member they could "sign up now to join this group" or similar.

http://www.alpinereplay.com/groups/alpinezone

dlokshin

@nick, not as of now, but we should probably implement this. We'll put it on our dev list.

jrmagic

Hey David
When you share info with a group such as the one Nick setup, is the map data avaialble for all to see? Or can that be disabled? I'm more than happy to show people around but I don't want my (and Im sure others don't want their) secret stashes mapped out in the internet. Aside from that concern, I used the app several times lst season and liked it.

dlokshin

@jr, no, not at the moment. I understand your concern, but realistically, I think it would be very hard for someone to actually figure out how to navigate to your secret spots. We give a map that's North Up and satellite view, which makes things even more difficult.