• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driving in a storm

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
High beams can have a hypnotizing effect. If it's really, really heavy, I just get off the road for a while. The last thing I need is having another car come up on me, especially on a 2-lane road, not seeing where s/he is going.

o3jeff

Yeah, kind of defeats the purpose of the fog lights. I thought my car was like that, until I fiddled around and realized I could pull the dial out to turn on the fogs and the rear high vis light with the dial in the parking lights position.

On my car if I turn the turn signal thingy the parking lights and headlights come on, if I pull it out it's for the fogs but they will only come on with the headlights though.

hammer

On a separate note, ever since my deer strike I've been more prone to putting my high beams on when driving back roads. Just wish they had some kind of sensor system that shut them down when there is an oncoming vehicle.

Puck it

On my FJ, the aux lights on the bumper come with the high beams. This defeated the purpose. It really PO'ed me. So, with a schematic and some wire and lugs. Performed a hack and now I can turn them on the parking lights or low beams.

Glenn

This is usually the best option if your car is equipped to do so. All the newer cars equipped with fog lights that I've been in don't allow you to have just the fogs on without also having the headlights on.

I've tried just parking lights like Glenn suggested above, but they don't light up enough of the road for my liking.

I use the parking lights with my fogs on my Jeep. I've got aftermarket Hella's on a custom bracket that are right at bumper height. So being lower, than the headlights helps quite a bit.

Geoff

A few years ago, I was driving in Killington on Route 4 westbound somewhere between the Back Behind Saloon and Skyeship base in near-zero visibility. I was crawling along at about 20 mph steering by the snow bank. In the distance, I see emergency flashers. As I approach them, I keep pulling left. The emergency flashers keep moving left. I finally get to within 50 feet of it and it's some moron going 5 mph coming at me with his headlights off. If I'd been going any faster, we would have had a head-on collision.

SKIQUATTRO

i've switched all my fogs (suburban/wrangler) to have yellow fogs..

Glenn...where'd you get your Hellas?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
The rear fog light just makes one or both of your brake lights brighter so other people can see you. That's a good thing to have when visibility is poor, but it annoys the hell out of me when someone leaves them on and I'm stuck behind them staring at the bright red light.
My Land Rover had rear fog lights separate from the brake lights and always used them during a storm...Also worked great for the people that liked to tailgate me...Just hit the button and they think im hitting my brakes not knowing the difference between lights and back off as well as blinding them.

Glenn

ctenidae

So, you can't have the fog lights on without having the rear high vis on?

Exactly. When you think about it, though, it makes sense, right? If it's foggy enough to have your fog lights on, probably a good idea to have the high vis on too.

vdk03

I use both high and low during the storms. I will flick my high beams on for a minute every now and again because it helps me see the reflectors on guardrails and helps me see the directional signs on the side of the road.

I've thought about getting some fog lights but just haven't pulled the trigger. The bumper on my Dakota has spots for them, not sure if it needs to get cut or if its just a knockout.

bvibert

Staff member
Exactly. When you think about it, though, it makes sense, right? If it's foggy enough to have your fog lights on, probably a good idea to have the high vis on too.

It does make sense. Sometimes I like to use them to light up the road directly in front of me, even if it's not foggy, though...

wa-loaf

It does make sense. Sometimes I like to use them to light up the road directly in front of me, even if it's not foggy, though...

I keep em on because my car looks tougher with them on ...

actually just kinda got used to the extra light so it feels weird not to have them on.