• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown sat 2/11 night?

powhunter

I was like one of pavlovs dogs salivating over that forcasted 2 inches..Im out for tonight..Did it snow at all?

Steveo

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Just saw ALLSKIING lurking around...
I was lurking over on Toms Treat for most of the day teaching....You had to have eyes in the back of your head on that trail today...People flying all over the place on the rails jumps ect. Not the best place for that with all the noobs skiing. Good seeing you B!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I was lurking over on Toms Treat for most of the day teaching....You had to have eyes in the back of your head on that trail today...People flying all over the place on the rails jumps ect. Not the best place for that with all the noobs skiing. Good seeing you B!

BTW somebody said a kid jumped from the chair a broke both of his legs...Is this correct???

gmcunni

sorry i missed seeing you. i agree about Toms. it is listed as the easiest way down but with the features installed it attracts a very active crowd.

planb420

Not the best place for that with all the noobs skiing. Good seeing you B!

I completely agree with this, there is nothing I hate more than coming around the corner and seeing 10-15 noobs stacked up ACROSS the top of the trail blocking the entire thing, or seeing them snaking their way side to side along the entire trail. First is this not teaching the kids BAD habits by having them:

1. Block the trail (like they own the whole damn thing)
2. Stand in front of/on features
3. and WORST of all taking their kids on a "Snake" style run through the bottom of the park inbetween all the rails (SUPER DANGEROUS PRACTICE IMO with small/short kids):-o

and then while patiently waiting behind the MASS of kids the instructor looks back and sees the line of snowboarders stacking up and says "Go on ahead guys", to which I would have liked to have replied "Maybe if you would move your students to one side of the trail or the other we could all co-exist, and everyones dayy would go on uninterrupted". Their really was no way to snake inbetween all these kids and strap in...not that any were gonna move for us to get through anyway. All I'm asking is that the instructors use these classes to not only teach skills but also to reinforce good habits/etiquette rather than setting these bad examples. RANT OVER

BTW somebody said a kid jumped from the chair a broke both of his legs...Is this correct???

And seriously...REALLY...SOMEONE TRIED TO JUMP OFF THE LIFT???:oops::dunce:

bvibert

Staff member
I completely agree with this, there is nothing I hate more than coming around the corner and seeing 10-15 noobs stacked up ACROSS the top of the trail blocking the entire thing, or seeing them snaking their way side to side along the entire trail. First is this not teaching the kids BAD habits by having them:

1. Block the trail (like they own the whole damn thing)
2. Stand in front of/on features
3. and WORST of all taking their kids on a "Snake" style run through the bottom of the park inbetween all the rails (SUPER DANGEROUS PRACTICE IMO with small/short kids):-o

and then while patiently waiting behind the MASS of kids the instructor looks back and sees the line of snowboarders stacking up and says "Go on ahead guys", to which I would have liked to have replied "Maybe if you would move your students to one side of the trail or the other we could all co-exist, and everyones dayy would go on uninterrupted". Their really was no way to snake inbetween all these kids and strap in...not that any were gonna move for us to get through anyway. All I'm asking is that the instructors use these classes to not only teach skills but also to reinforce good habits/etiquette rather than setting these bad examples. RANT OVER

Tom's Treat is a beginner trail. Part of teaching kids to ski in control is to have them make big turns to control their speed. When you put a park on the only top to bottom beginner trail on the mountain this sort of thing is to be expected. Don't forget that instructors have been taking lessons down Tom's since long before a park was ever put there. Keeping a group of beginners to the side of the trail simply isn't going to happen.

Madroch

I heard rumurs of a lift fall... But won't add to it without any knowledge. Despite a long lecture to my kids about responsibility code - right of way, control, and defensive skiing- my son reports almost being taken out while in JRD by a park skier who flew over his head-not sure how accurate his report is- but I gotta take him through the park again and give him another lecture about line of sight and landing Zones....just when I think he understands line of sight and blind spots.. Confirms otherwise...he was a little surprised that I came down so hard on him without even asking about whether the park kid followed the code... I told him being in the right is little solace if you are dead.... He was all smiles a little later as he was recognized for having the overall fastest time in the JRD for the previous weeks race... Drove his older sister over the edge...

2knees

How was it 2knees? I texted you Friday night and you never replied :sadwalk:

you did? I didnt receive anything from you.

Didnt ski this weekend. when i woke up saturday and saw the sun shining, i bagged it. i didnt see one flake at my house. BS!!!!

gmcunni

Boy falls from chairlift at Ski Sundown
REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

NEW HARTFORD -- A 7-year-old boy fell from a chairlift at Ski Sundown but escaped serious injury, according to a representative from the ski mountain.

The boy, who was not named by officials because of his age, was taken by ambulance to Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford after a call to Life Star was canceled.

even tho cancelled i think the life star chopper did a fly over.

o3jeff

Boy falls from chairlift at Ski Sundown
REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

NEW HARTFORD -- A 7-year-old boy fell from a chairlift at Ski Sundown but escaped serious injury, according to a representative from the ski mountain.

The boy, who was not named by officials because of his age, was taken by ambulance to Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford after a call to Life Star was canceled.

even tho cancelled i think the life star chopper did a fly over.

Good to hear they escaped serious injury!