• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Question

Tin

There is a $65 bus trip coming up on a weekday and I was thinking about doing. After looking at the map and some reviews it appears to be a challenging mountain but according to their report all of their expert trails they have groomed and only one has moguls on it. Anyone been there recently? I enjoy bumps and glades so any insight will be helpful. Thanks

oakapple

There are Stratton advertisements in the New York subway system, and they show skiers cruising down relatively flat perfectly groomed corduroy. Rightly or wrongly, that is the perception of Stratton.

GolfingOwl

There is a $65 bus trip coming up on a weekday and I was thinking about doing. After looking at the map and some reviews it appears to be a challenging mountain but according to their report all of their expert trails they have groomed and only one has moguls on it. Anyone been there recently? I enjoy bumps and glades so any insight will be helpful. Thanks

Stratton has some really nice glades at all levels (green to double black) but I have no idea what the conditions are. Most trails tend to be groomed but they usually leave bumps on World Cup, which is where they hold bump competitions. The wide trail under the Gondola (forget its name) is sometimes half groomed with half bumps. When conditions are prime, they may let one or two more go au natural.

Stratton isn't the most challenging but it is a fun mountain and probably gets an unfair rep.

gladerider

was in the glades about 3 weeks ago. was great but that prolly was bcoz they got like 6" fresh that day. Wasn't deep, but deep enuf that day. Now that was 3 weeks ago. Weather didn't help over the last couple of weeks plus don't think they got any new pow, so I'd be surprised if you can safely go in there. Good luck.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You are not going to find good bump skiing any where in New England this weekend so go where ever you want and enjoy the groomers. If you are dead set on skiing scraped hard pack bumps, go further north.

skiersleft

Stratton is very fun and has impeccable grooming. However, it is not challenging at all. Its double blacks ski like easy blacks or hard blues at places like Stowe, Whiteface or Killington.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stratton is very fun and has impeccable grooming. However, it is not challenging at all. Its double blacks ski like easy blacks or hard blues at places like Stowe, Whiteface or Killington.

true......but it's tree skiing is vastly underrated.

that said, you won't find tree skiing or bumps at Stratton right now. But, for $65, that sounds like a good deal to me. I'm sure the groomers at Stratton are skiing as good as anywhere in the Northeast right now. It's actually a pretty good place for groomers. Better than Killington IMO.

skiersleft

true......but it's tree skiing is vastly underrated.

that said, you won't find tree skiing or bumps at Stratton right now. But, for $65, that sounds like a good deal to me. I'm sure the groomers at Stratton are skiing as good as anywhere in the Northeast right now. It's actually a pretty good place for groomers. Better than Killington IMO.

I agree, but as you say, trees are not open there, so it's not part of the equation right now. What he's going to get is fun cruising, but no challenge on the open terrain.

Cheese

Skied Stratton on Saturday (2/11) and Okemo Sunday (2/12). Okemo definitely blew Stratton away in the grooming category. Stratton's groomers took a very thin bite so the groom was very thin and the crowds wiped away what little they had for easily carvable snow by 11am. Okemo's groom was deeper so actually felt like corduroy on a good snow year. Yes, Stratton has more uphill capacity but on the way down they have more crowded slopes, dangerous intersections and mountain safety employees posted all over the mountain reprimanding anyone who they feel is traveling too fast. I have no affiliation with either mountain but given the choice to go to either mountain tomorrow, I would return to Okemo.

Highway Star

So, you've learned about all the secrets of Stratton by now? Good for you!

mriceyman

So, you've learned about all the secrets of Stratton by now? Good for you!

Its not like its a difficult mountain to discover. Just one peak and not a sprawling layout. We skied every inch of the mountain in the 6 days we were there last year and probably could have done it in 3 if we tried. Liked stratton alot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Highway Star

I had a pass there in '00-'01 and skied all of the big powder days. I know where all the off the map stuff is.

mriceyman

I had a pass there in '00-'01 and skied all of the big powder days. I know where all the off the map stuff is.

You should start a pay website where people cAn get all your secrets.. You seem to know alot about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

I've always liked Stratton as a mountain and on non-crowded days it is a lot of fun. It has some great glades too.

However, this is utterly false:

"What's funny is that you think Magic has better tree skiing than Stratton."

You obviously have not skied the un-marked glades at Magic. Or is there some sarcasm going on here that I am not picking up on?

But Magic glades vs Stratton glades is pro ball vs single A.