• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whitney Houston

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
She was beautiful, she was talented, she was a star. In the end, she was like the rest of us that inhabit this rock, human, nothing more, nothing less..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I remember my mother listening to Whitney all the time in our house growing up. Truly a talent, and a shame to see it ruined by addiction.

ctenidae

It is tragic. Drugs certainly seem more devastating to musicians than most others. I wonder why?

Because there aren't that many musicians and the media focuses on them. Plus the whole party atmosphere. It is a tragedy that a talent like that was wasted, no doubt. But, if she didn't have that talent, she'd be a statistic today, and not a headline. That's pretty tragic, too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
But, if she didn't have that talent, she'd be a statistic today, and not a headline. That's pretty tragic, too.

Pretty much. I bet there were hundreds of obituaries nationwide yesterday for people dying from an overdose (just making an assumption that this was the case with Whitney) and then the one headline for Whitney. all sad

Hawkshot99

Pretty much. I bet there were hundreds of obituaries nationwide yesterday for people dying from an overdose (just making an assumption that this was the case with Whitney) and then the one headline for Whitney. all sad

She was found by her aides with her head below water level in her bath tub. I am guessing OD on something an passed out having the head fall below water and drowned.

If she OD, I do not see her death as tragic. Drugs are a choice. If she had kids that are now motherless then that is a tragedy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If she OD, I do not see her death as tragic. Drugs are a choice. If she had kids that are now motherless then that is a tragedy.

Yes, trying drugs is a choice. Addiction is not. The tragedy is that her death could have been prevented. A drug addict dying to me isn't a whole lot different than a cancer patient dying. You wish they were cured instead.

She does have children and it is tragic that they are now motherless.

and.......

pretty darn moving performance by Jennifer Hudson on the grammys tonight. that took a lot of stones

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

Yes, trying drugs is a choice. Addiction is not. The tragedy is that her death could have been prevented. A drug addict dying to me isn't a whole lot different than a cancer patient dying. You wish they were cured instead.

I have no fear of ever becoming addicted to drugs, as I am smart enough to not take them. I do fear cancer because it can just appear in anybody.

snoseek

I have no fear of ever becoming addicted to drugs, as I am smart enough to not take them. I do fear cancer because it can just appear in anybody.

You should consider yourself lucky as many people are wired to certain addictions. Also if you were raised in a typical suburban American environment then the odds were favored your way. Many are not so lucky as you and I...

deadheadskier

Staff member

Though you say you're smart enough to not take drugs Hawkshot, that's a pretty ignorant statement. You assume all drug addictions are the result of recreational experimentation.

I lost a good friend to an oxy overdose. An old skiing buddy. Got in a major wreck that required back surgery. He was prescribed oxys to help with his recovery and essentially just wasted away. One night he took a fatal amount of oxys combined with alcohol and was dead at 31 years old.

I don't know how Whitney Houston got hooked on drugs. It's a tragedy that she did because she is dead now. It happens to a lot of people. It sucks.

ScottySkis

I don't know how Whitney Houston got hooked on drugs. It's a tragedy that she did because she is dead now. It happens to a lot of people. It sucks.[/QUOTE]
Lots of people experience drugs in life, some make it away, even one's from middle class structure, it has a huge percentage of mental illness victims use drugs to cope way before they seek out help.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Though you say you're smart enough to not take drugs Hawkshot, that's a pretty ignorant statement. You assume all drug addictions are the result of recreational experimentation.

I lost a good friend to an oxy overdose. An old skiing buddy. Got in a major wreck that required back surgery. He was prescribed oxys to help with his recovery and essentially just wasted away. One night he took a fatal amount of oxys combined with alcohol and was dead at 31 years old.

I don't know how Whitney Houston got hooked on drugs. It's a tragedy that she did because she is dead now. It happens to a lot of people. It sucks.

Sorry to hear that dhs

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry to hear that dhs

Thanks

It was many years ago, in the late 90s when I was a ski bum in Stowe. Pretty eye opening experience at a young age for me concerning the dangers of opiates.

Now whenever I know someone who is prescribed the drug, I get a little worried. My boss currently is. He had a tumor surgically removed from his foot about a month ago. It doesn't appear that it will be a problem for him. As snoseek said, certain people are wired for addiction, others are not. It would appear my boss is not.

Addiction is a disease and death from addiction shouldn't be considered the result of an individual's stupidity. People die from alcohol addiction everyday. Does anyone think it's stupid that someone tries alcohol? No.