Thule roof box on Yakima rack?

AlpineZone

Thule roof box on Yakima rack?

Does any one know if a Thule roof box can be used with a Yakima rack?

The box locks on to the bars with U shaped brackets. They are square as to fit the square bars of a Thule rack, but I thought they may fit the round Yakima bars as well. Thule doesn't make a roof rack for my other car which is a 2009 Dodge Journey with a "naked roof" - no factory rails.

I have the box and Yakima actually has rack for the Journey. I'm just wondering if someone on here has tried that combination.
    Live for today

They have adaptors- probably less than $200 a set...

Seriously, should fit if the claws on the box will close far enough. They'll grip the Thule square bars, which I think are skinnier than Yakima's pipes, so should be fine.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

How old is the box? Several years back Thule started making the brackets on their bike carriers so they would fit on either a Thule or Yakima bar. I imagine the same is true for the boxes. Even if it doesn't work there may be different brackets available. If not you should be able to make something work if you're crafty.
    Brian

The box is a bit on the older side. I'll take some measurments today and see if the Thule U bolts will go around the Yakima tubes so the bolts still lock inside the the box. I'm getting the rack from a local REI so in worst case scenario, I'll be able to return the rack.
    Live for today

I'd certainly give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.
    Brian

I use the Thule box on the square Thule bars and on factory bars they are flat and it works fine. I can't see it being a problem on Yakima bars.

If it's a newer (+/- 5 years) they are designed to clamp onto all kinds of factory racks so it should fit the Yak bars fine. I know my 6 yrs old Yakima box fits on pretty much anything.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Thread Information