• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thule roof box on Yakima rack?

Bumpsis

Does any one know if a Thule roof box can be used with a Yakima rack?

The box locks on to the bars with U shaped brackets. They are square as to fit the square bars of a Thule rack, but I thought they may fit the round Yakima bars as well. Thule doesn't make a roof rack for my other car which is a 2009 Dodge Journey with a "naked roof" - no factory rails.

I have the box and Yakima actually has rack for the Journey. I'm just wondering if someone on here has tried that combination.

ctenidae

They have adaptors- probably less than $200 a set...

Seriously, should fit if the claws on the box will close far enough. They'll grip the Thule square bars, which I think are skinnier than Yakima's pipes, so should be fine.

bvibert

Staff member
How old is the box? Several years back Thule started making the brackets on their bike carriers so they would fit on either a Thule or Yakima bar. I imagine the same is true for the boxes. Even if it doesn't work there may be different brackets available. If not you should be able to make something work if you're crafty.

Bumpsis

The box is a bit on the older side. I'll take some measurments today and see if the Thule U bolts will go around the Yakima tubes so the bolts still lock inside the the box. I'm getting the rack from a local REI so in worst case scenario, I'll be able to return the rack.

wa-loaf

If it's a newer (+/- 5 years) they are designed to clamp onto all kinds of factory racks so it should fit the Yak bars fine. I know my 6 yrs old Yakima box fits on pretty much anything.