• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Getting connected?

zippy

I was wondering if you get an cellular coverage when skiing? This is going to be my first year downhill skiing and was wonderinf if anyone has ever noticed if they get cellular coverage. I was looking about trying Michigan first before hitting lager slops. Reason I ask is that I do a lot of business on my phone. Any advise to place i should try?:spread:

roark

before hitting lager slops.
I prefer ale slops myslef...:-D

No idea about MI. Most eastern mts. have pretty good coverage. If you must talk stay out of the way - don't block the trail. And don't talk and ski.:uzi:

FRITOLAYGUY

Im not sure about Michigan but i got great service at all the major areas in CO, and have noticed most places in NE i have some sorta service, if you dont get any service at the bottom try the top, might be a little windy for business calls however.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Im not sure about Michigan but i got great service at all the major areas in CO, and have noticed most places in NE i have some sorta service, if you dont get any service at the bottom try the top, might be a little windy for business calls however.

Blech, I'd leave it at home.

One reason I ski is to disconnect.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm a weirdo...I have a rule about cell phones. They never go skiing with me. Unless I'm OB or BC, and then the cell phone is off unless I need it for an emergency.

Wanna hear something really weird? I don't use computers on the weekend, ever. I've never turned a computer on on a Saturday or Sunday. And I've never owned or used a pager.

On weekends, you're better off just yelling my name from wherever you are if you want to get in touch with me.

ctenidae

I usuall forget to turn mine on normally, much less when skiing. On the rare occasion (maybe twice) that I have used the phone while skiing, I've found that I have to go to the top of the mountain to get a signal.

It's also easier to get out of everyone's way at the top.

SKIQUATTRO

it really is a double edged sword...I own my own biz, have a partner so at least one of us is always in the office...we have a blackberrys so we can have the freedom of doing business on a tuesday from the beach, or not mis a pow day and still make money....99% of the time i do not bring my cell, ipod or any other "connected" gear to the mountains/beach/boat, i use those as my escape (its cheaper than therapy!!!) however, if its between staying in the office during the week and hitting the slopes, i'll hit the slopes and use it to check in and put out fires.......other than that, it stays in my pocket.....

Hawkshot99

I bring my phone with me mainly cause I ski alone. Also I am young, and my parents like to know when I drive far that I got there. So when I get there they justwant a call, and usully have to make that from the top of the mountain.

zippy

I understand the disconnect time

I am more curious if need to take a cellular repeater along on my trip. That way i do have have the coverage and won't have dropped calls when talking. I don't plan on skiing with my phone.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I find cell phone reception spotty in Vermont, at least. It's difficult to get or maintain a connection, so I wouldn't rely on it too much.

ajl50

i would hate to ski with my cell phone - but I do know that ALL of the catskill mountains have great coverage. Duh.
And if you are just getting into it- then the are also good places to start.
Unless of course you live in mich. then by all means get thee to the snowbelt.

NYDrew

I am more curious if need to take a cellular repeater along on my trip. That way i do have have the coverage and won't have dropped calls when talking. I don't plan on skiing with my phone.

ahhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooo. I ski to escape the world, no offence but that includes being surrounded by people on phones. I think that is why mountains dont make a big deal about "connecting" their mountains. Last thing we need now is there to be people sitting on their butts all over the trail headwalls with little satellitte dishs set up. Snowboarders take up enough room.

(A bit of a low blow to you boarders, yeah? The image comparing the two however just wouldn't escape my mind)

Joshua B

This is going to be my first year downhill skiing

I just want to say, congratulations! I hope you have some great experiences this season and I hope you become a downhill enthusiast. Let us know how your first few trips turn out.