Automotive GPS

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive GPS

Automotive GPS

my 7 year old TomTom doesn't work so well any more and i'm thinking about getting a new one.

While i've had great luck with the "brains" of 2 tomtoms (wife has one also) i have found that both models we own have crappy windshield mounting apparatus. my son has a Magellan but i've never really liked the way it operates. And while i don't begrudge a company's need to make a profit the idea of buying updated maps every couple of years rubs me the wrong way.

What Automotive GPS do you have and would you recommend it?

is a smartphone with a data plan an adequate replacement for a traditional GPS for driving?
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

I've had a Magellen for a couple years and last Christmas updated to a Garmin. I like the Garmin better for the fact that it is a lot quicker recalculating the route. Makes a big difference especially if you travel a lot in NYC, Boston or bigger cities. The Magellen would take a minute to realize you missed the turn and then recalculate but be a few blocks behind.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Google Maps and Navigator (Verizon) works pretty well for traditional GPS driving. You get free traffic and Google pushes free updates. The drawbacks I can think of are that you can't set driving preferences (fastest time, shortest route, etc.) and there is no stored map so you will always need a data connection to receive the current map of your route/location.

I have an older Garmin NUVI that I rarely use. It requires map updates and a traffic subscription which I never purchased. It does offer the advantage of being able to add 1 via point in case you don't want to go directly to your end point.

If I didn't have a smartphone and a data plan already, Garmin would be my standalone choice.
    Quiver:
    Rossignol Experience 88 - 172cm (All Mountain)
    Rossignol 9SL - 161 (SL carver)
    Rossignol WC GS - 181cm (GS carver)
    Rossignol Z10 - 162cm (Bumps, crud & park)
    Rossignol Super 7 - 180cm (Powder)

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    my 7 year old TomTom doesn't work so well any more and i'm thinking about getting a new one.

While i've had great luck with the "brains" of 2 tomtoms (wife has one also) i have found that both models we own have crappy windshield mounting apparatus. my son has a Magellan but i've never really liked the way it operates. And while i don't begrudge a company's need to make a profit the idea of buying updated maps every couple of years rubs me the wrong way.

What Automotive GPS do you have and would you recommend it?

is a smartphone with a data plan an adequate replacement for a traditional GPS for driving?
    I am on my second Garmin...first one was decent but got worn and slow. The second one has a crappy touch screen and the voice is worse. Not impressed.

For mounting, I have large enough dashboards to use the friction base. Works much better than the suction cup mount.

Yeah, I use my Android navigation all the time, completely blows away any standalone GPS unit in my opinion. just make sure you have a car charger as it's hell on power usage.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Google Maps and Navigator (Verizon) works pretty well for traditional GPS driving. You get free traffic and Google pushes free updates. The drawbacks I can think of are that you can't set driving preferences (fastest time, shortest route, etc.) and there is no stored map so you will always need a data connection to receive the current map of your route/location.

I have an older Garmin NUVI that I rarely use. It requires map updates and a traffic subscription which I never purchased. It does offer the advantage of being able to add 1 via point in case you don't want to go directly to your end point.

If I didn't have a smartphone and a data plan already, Garmin would be my standalone choice.
    that's another feature i wish i had, the ability to map something out in google maps then download to my device. i've seen it as an option from the google side but none of my devices support it.

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    that's another feature i wish i had, the ability to map something out in google maps then download to my device. i've seen it as an option from the google side but none of my devices support it.
    I can do that with my android phone, but I've found it doesn't always work smoothly. I haven't tried it in a while though, so it may have been fixed in an update.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I can do that with my android phone, but I've found it doesn't always work smoothly. I haven't tried it in a while though, so it may have been fixed in an update.
    I have no trouble with it on my iPhone.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

We have 2 of the Garmin NUVI's and they have been flawless.
    -----------------------------------
    insert non-sequitur here

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    I have no trouble with it on my iPhone.
    what app do you use for GPS on the iphone? (i don't have an iphone so perhaps this is a stupid question)

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Thread Information