• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Automotive GPS

Cannonball

One thing that Google Maps, Waze, and GPS units don't do (I think) is tell you what the speed limit is right where you are. On some backroads it's constantly changing. It's hard to obey the speed limit if you lose track of what it is. Are there any services or units that do that? Doesn't seem too complicated.

gmcunni

One thing that Google Maps, Waze, and GPS units don't do (I think) is tell you what the speed limit is right where you are. On some backroads it's constantly changing. It's hard to obey the speed limit if you lose track of what it is. Are there any services or units that do that? Doesn't seem too complicated.

my TOMTOM (first GPS i owned) knew the speed limits and would show my speed in RED if i was going 10MPH over

Cannonball

my TOMTOM (first GPS i owned) knew the speed limits and would show my speed in RED if i was going 10MPH over

That's what I need. I'm surprised Google maps has integrated that. There are probably DOT data layers that could just be imported into the Google base map. Or maybe I'm just not seeing that feature.

yeggous

That's what I need. I'm surprised Google maps has integrated that. There are probably DOT data layers that could just be imported into the Google base map. Or maybe I'm just not seeing that feature.

I can speak with authority on this one. Google has no idea what the speed limit is. TomTom and Here maps based systems do know the speed limit. My truck tells me the speed limit on my dash. If you want a phone app that does it, download the Here Maps app. It'll even let you download the full map pack so you can get directions without a Internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Cannonball

I can speak with authority on this one. Google has no idea what the speed limit is. TomTom and Here maps based systems do know the speed limit. My truck tells me the speed limit on my dash. If you want a phone app that does it, download the Here Maps app. It'll even let you download the full map pack so you can get directions without a Internet connection.

Thanks, this app is great. Just tried it on my way to work and found the speed limits to be very accurate.

I also like that you can choose to keep it in dark mode. I've always wanted that feature in Google maps.

yeggous

Thanks, this app is great. Just tried it on my way to work and found the speed limits to be very accurate.

I also like that you can choose to keep it in dark mode. I've always wanted that feature in Google maps.

You're welcome. You'll notice a significant difference in map quality between Google and Here. Everything that Google creates is designed to sell ads. That is their bread and butter. They don't have speed limit data because they don't care. They are focusing on finding what businesses you are near or frequently pass so they can target their ads. Ever use Waze and notice the pop-ups or icons for sponsored businesses? With Google you are the product and advertisers are the customers.

Here has a completely different business models. They are a mapping company. They make their money selling maps to enterprise and automotive customers. They don't even have an advertising side as they are owned by automotive manufacturers.

Some differences worth noting:

1) Here's estimated drive times are often longer than reality on long trips. This is because it assumes you are driving the speed limit the whole time. Google's highway times are more accurate since it only knows the typical traffic speeds since it tracks everyone using the app. For the same reason you can often beat Here's routes using backroad shortcuts where you feel comfortable risking the speeding ticket.

2) Here's routes are more biased to highways. Google likes to route onto back roads. Which is better is often a coin flip. Where I live, Here gives better routes since I loose a lot of time to traffic lights, stop signs, etc on back roads. The highway might have more traffic, but it ends up being quicker since those little delays at every intersection add up. Google does not take into account little backups at each intersection which is a real problem if you're on a road with lots of stop signs or traffic lights.

3) Google's traffic data is more accurate on small back roads. This is a result of a them having a larger data volume from all the Android phones out there. On the highway there is not much of a difference.

Funky_Catskills

GPS used to do the same at Hunter...
Would take you down Platt Klove Road which is seasonal..

And opens FRIDAY!!!! WOOOOHOOO!!! (Cuts off 20 minutes on my drive to Woodstock NY)

gmcunni

disappointing.

The new speed limit warnings feature is rolling out first to Waze users in Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Czech Republic, El Salvador, France, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad, Tobago and Uruguay alongside today’s announcement. But the company says it will arrive later for users elsewhere.

Cannonball

disappointing.

Yup. Guess I should have read the large fine print. 'HERE' still seems like the best option for that feature.

Since using 'HERE' for the past few weeks I've learned that I mostly never speed. Without knowing the posted speed limits I apparently tend to drive almost exactly what the limits are anyway. No wonder I always have tailgaters.

Last edited:

yeggous

You should try Garmin GPS. It's very durable and quality GPS gear, Used it for a while and it's really good. Personal thought tough

From a functional point of view the HERE app achieves the same thing. Garmin used HERE maps.

gmcunni

i still think about my hiking GPS. i like that it would record the path i took so i could look back at it, much like the skiing apps do. waze and other automotive gps that i have used just get you there but don't record history.

gmcunni

looks like Waze in US has some speed limit coverage. on my recent trip to airport while driving on Merritt Parkway in CT i got the warning about exceeding the posted speed limit (showed both my current and posted #s). however on other highways i did not so it seems they have partial coverage.

benski

looks like Waze in US has some speed limit coverage. on my recent trip to airport while driving on Merritt Parkway in CT i got the warning about exceeding the posted speed limit (showed both my current and posted #s). however on other highways i did not so it seems they have partial coverage.

Sounds dangerous. People could expect to get a warning and not look at the speedometer, leading to them not realizing there speeding. Dumb thing to do but I expect someone will reach that level.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone