• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Feb 27 to March 3 -- 2012

BenedictGomez

Just saw on FB over a foot of powder at Platty I hope some Alpine members get the good stuff

My analysis paralysis led to the insane combination of BOTH options above # 1 and #2.

1) I'm going to ski tomorrow at Plattekill

2) Apres-Platty look for someplace safe to ditch my vehicle along I-87 (Walmart parking lot or something?) between Newburgh and Kingston

3) Wait for my girlfriend to arrive from central NJ after work, probably around 7pm.

4) Continue on to Vermont that night, do something other than skiing Saturday, and ski Sunday and Monday

A bit ridiculous, but in the immortal words of Warren Miller, “If you don't do it this year you'll be another year older when you do", and as tomorrow may be the last truly special day of 2012, it would be literally true.

Wavewheeler

If only Maine wasn't so far from NJ. I'd love to get up there. Takes the good part of a day to drive up (and then back).

Have fun for those of you who can take advantage. For those of us down in the metro NY/NJ area here it looks like spring is happening soon. Actually I think it's been here for awhile. I'm hoping winter will carry on more in New England/upstate NY. I'd hate to think that this will be it for skiing for me. :sad:

Ah well..on to hiking, kayaking and camping out...There's always something.

WinnChill

Forecasts are updated. I gotta take my son out for some of this snow! See ya!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If only Maine wasn't so far from NJ. I'd love to get up there. Takes the good part of a day to drive up (and then back).

Have fun for those of you who can take advantage. For those of us down in the metro NY/NJ area here it looks like spring is happening soon. Actually I think it's been here for awhile. I'm hoping winter will carry on more in New England/upstate NY. I'd hate to think that this will be it for skiing for me. :sad:

Ah well..on to hiking, kayaking and camping out...There's always something.

As much as I complain, I really am lucky that my parents let me use their house in NH as a base camp to go skiing. Just about every major New England mountain is within 3 hours (except Sugarloaf and Saddleback).

I'm driving up there tonight after work, then waking up early to go to Sunday River to ski in the rain.

ScottySkis

My analysis paralysis led to the insane combination of BOTH options above # 1 and #2.
O

2) Apres-Platty look for someplace safe to ditch my vehicle along I-87 (Walmart parking lot or something?) between Newburgh and Kingston

3) Wait for my girlfriend to arrive from central NJ after work, probably around 7pm.

4) Continue on to Vermont that night, do something other than skiing Saturday, and ski Sunday and Monday

A bit ridiculous, but in the immortal words of Warren Miller, “If you don't do it this year you'll be another year older when you do", and as tomorrow may be the last truly special day of 2012, it would be literally true.

I'm glad your at Platty today I bet you have powder untouched runs into afternoon, I can't wait for trip report, say hi to older cashier she's part why i love platty.

ScottySkis

A bit ridiculous, but in the immortal words of Warren Miller, “If you don't do it this year you'll be another year older when you do", and as tomorrow may be the last truly special day of 2012, it would be literally true.[/QUO#2TE]
£#2 just leave your car at walmart in Newburgh or at rest stop i did that before, just go in rest stop and tell the supervisor.

BenedictGomez

^Beers going down at Platty now, great day . The NAM, just to make things interesting is colder giving us some hope, but you'd have top go way north I think (Jay) even if that verifies. Thoughts of any of our weather wonks?

WinnChill

^Beers going down at Platty now, great day . The NAM, just to make things interesting is colder giving us some hope, but you'd have top go way north I think (Jay) even if that verifies. Thoughts of any of our weather wonks?

I didn't sleep well last night so I'm too tired for apres beers now after a short day at Pats. But a quick look at the models looks like the mixing still possible even for northern areas but the dry slot works in as the changeover occurs helping to minimie ice/NCP impact. I addressed Jay's situation on our Facebook page.

BenedictGomez

Snowing here in St. Albans and 35.

That bodes really well for JP if it holds. Similar latitude, but zero elevation and yet it's cold and snowing.

Arrived and going to bed. 8 hours total driving today and a full day of skiing right back onto the lifts at Platty. Zonked!