• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Feb 27 to March 3 -- 2012

Tooth

Winnchill,

Im hearing mean is still better than1 inch of qpf with good ratios gets 12+. Hope we get .75 of that. Looks strong.

What do you think?

WinnChill

Winnchill,

Im hearing mean is still better than1 inch of qpf with good ratios gets 12+. Hope we get .75 of that. Looks strong.

What do you think?

Generally thinking .7 to about 1.0" QPF, maybe a bit more...those have been fairly steady past few days. Yeah, snow ratios bouncing around 10'ish southern resorts, 10-15:1 for northern resorts. So tough part is good moisture/lower ratios southern resorts, slightly less moisture/slightly higher ratios for northern resorts. Fun to figure out.

That first wave just gave us about 3" here in S NH!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Newbury NH

427028_285707444831754_158494544219712_708170_1858351811_n.jpg

BenedictGomez

Could it be? A Powder Daize, didn't think they'd have one this year.

They already posted that they're "saving" whatever falls for fresh tracks on Friday. So someone could hit Hunter tomorrow and get fresh tracks again on Friday @ Platty.

Wavewheeler

I'm two miles from Gore Mountain right now. Hit snow right over the NY state line and it really started coming down around Albany. I-87 was nicely cleared/plowed. No problems driving up.

6" on the ground now of fresh stuff. :snow:

It's stopped right now as of 11 pm but it's supposed to pick up after midnight and snow right until tomorrow (Thursday) evening. They are expecting almost a foot total!

75% of Gore is open. The combination of last weekend's snow and this one makes for the best conditions all year (I was told this by the hotel owner). Forecast for tomorrow looks great and very little winds predicted. One reason I decided not to head out to Killington was because of the fierce winds predicted there..on the order of 20-25 mph with 35 mph gusts! Ouch! :-o

I'd def try and get up here on Friday because that sounds like a great day but it's not looking TOO bad for Saturday. Some snow and rain mixed in it seems. Sunday looks better. Probably looking at spring like conditions because it's supposed to be warmer.

I'm leaving Saturday morning in any case so I got my two days of Heaven ahead. Have fun wherever you are but CALL IN SICK TOMORROW and head out!:daffy: :spread:

John W

Wavewheller, I am going to drive up to gore tomorrow morning. Leaving NYC around 4... Plan on being up there around wish.. Killington on friday. If anyone is playing hookie these next 2 days get in touch on here. I will wearing blue NF jacket, black helmet with a single Zermatt sticker.. I will be solo.... So I might not be too hard to find... Killington on friday in the same outfit!!

John W

Cornhead

They already posted that they're "saving" whatever falls for fresh tracks on Friday. So someone could hit Hunter tomorrow and get fresh tracks again on Friday @ Platty.

That'd be cool, if I wasn't in VT I'd consider doing this. I have Platty tix I bought for $18.75, I ski Hunter midweek for $29, so for under $50, I could have back to back powder days. I'd probably spend more than that to stay overnight somewhere Thursday night in order to accomplish this. Two powder days at two different hills for $47.75 would be outstanding.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Last edited:

WinnChill

Saddleback reporting all lifts on wind hold.

Surface winds in Maine are not bad right now but just a bit higher above 2000ft are strong out of the east/northeast.

SKIQUATTRO

39 cold raw rain here on LI, but as long as its dumping in the mtns, i'm good with it....

WinnChill

39 cold raw rain here on LI, but as long as its dumping in the mtns, i'm good with it....

Nice muffin-tops on everything here in SNH--about 9" from last night and still falling. Northernmost resorts are catching up today to what southern areas already picked up.

abc

That is an awesome idea, are you going to Platty on friday, great place for powder runs for sure.
Friday is actually one of Platty's "$15 for first 100 skier" day!

Wonder how early one need to be there to get that $15 ticket? Anyone ever tried and know?

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
Watch the winds on Sat!

Headed up to Sugarbush tonight. On the mountain tomorrow. Gotta get it while the gettins good. It's about to go from near epic to dogsh!t real quick.

For sat: On top of the rain, MASSIVE WINDS. No way lifts will be spinning.

From NOAA:

Saturday: Rain showers before 5pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. High near 42. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 55 to 60 mph becoming south 30 to 35 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

BenedictGomez

That is an awesome idea, are you going to Platty on friday, great place for powder runs for sure.

I was @ Platty on Sunday (great day), but I'm about as confused as to "where" I'll be skiing this weekend as I've ever been in my life.

Options I'm considering:

1) Hunter Friday, and that's it

2) Drive to n.VT on Friday, skip Saturday due to 80% chance of rain and 30mph wind, and ski Sunday and Monday up there instead.

Frankly, I'd rather miss a day of power in the Cats to ski 2 days in northern Vermont, IF the skiing will still be solid in VT.

What makes it SO confusing, is that while I know VT has got a TON of snow lately, how will 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain on top of it, QUICKLY followed by plummeting temperatures effect conditions? Will trails be ice and will the woods be scraped off and icy? Or is there just so much recent snow in northern VT that even if they get 1/2 inch of pure rain, will the skiing on Sunday and Monday still be great?

I'm not afraid to admit that I have serious analysis paralysis at the moment, amplified by the fact that this might be the "last best" opportunity to ski 2011/12 given the LT models are showing "ski death" temps. :dontknow:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I w

What makes it SO confusing, is that while I know VT has got a TON of snow lately, how will 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain on top of it, QUICKLY followed by plummeting temperatures effect conditions? Will trails be ice and will the woods be scraped off and icy? Or is there just so much recent snow in northern VT that even if they get 1/2 inch of pure rain, will the skiing on Sunday and Monday still be great?

If it plays out as you describe, my experience suggests mt. ops will let the water drain out, the freeze will produce a crusty surface, with lots of good stuff below, which the groomers will mash up into a nice consistency of snow and ice to make for something a bit better than FGR.
The woods, well, that will be another story. :(
That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!