• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Feb 27 to March 3 -- 2012

ScottySkis

I was @ Platty on Sunday (great day), but I'm about as confused as to "where" I'll be skiing this weekend as I've ever been in my life.

Options I'm considering:

1) Hunter Friday, and that's it

2) Drive to n.VT on Friday, skip Saturday due to 80% chance of rain and 30mph wind, and ski Sunday and Monday up there instead.

Frankly, I'd rather miss a day of power in the Cats to ski 2 days in northern Vermont, IF the skiing will still be solid in VT.

What makes it SO confusing, is that while I know VT has got a TON of snow lately, how will 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain on top of it, QUICKLY followed by plummeting temperatures effect conditions? Will trails be ice and will the woods be scraped off and icy? Or is there just so much recent snow in northern VT that even if they get 1/2 inch of pure rain, will the skiing on Sunday and Monday still be great?

I'm not afraid to admit that I have serious analysis paralysis at the moment, amplified by the fact that this might be the "last best" opportunity to ski 2011/12 given the LT models are showing "ski death" temps. :dontknow:
Platty will hold the powder longer then Hunter on Friday, but you know that, I would just see what happens because the weather is so if but half inch of rain I think will dent the North VT hills but I think the base will be okay,( but I have not been to North VT this season

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sweet pow at Coles Pond, NEK

netcamXL.jpg

stoked yet?

Warp Daddy

Just Plowed about 6 inches of champagne and still coming down steady here along the St Lawrence ! Gotta go wax the Queens skis and mine we're outta here first thing in the am . I can ONLY imagine what is happening on the mtn right now . they had 6 in overnite and more today

Tomorrow s gonna be saweeeeet

Glenn

Saturday's outlook is a realy pissah. I'm not happy about that at all. Especially since I can't get out until Sunday. Ugh! Sunday may be a reverse half day. If the winds are bad...may not bother.

psyflyer

6 inches plus so.far at burke. Pretty nice riding with very light POW and no lines. Top to bottom POW runs with more stashed in the woods from wind drifts. Good fun.

BenedictGomez

Saturday's outlook is a realy pissah. I'm not happy about that at all. Especially since I can't get out until Sunday. Ugh! Sunday may be a reverse half day. If the winds are bad...may not bother.

Saturday's winds in some places are now forecast to be over 100mph*. :puke:

If Sunday's winds are bad, I'm certainly not going to Vermont, but I dont think wind will be a problem on Sunday. Of course, now it also makes one wonder what 80mph winds on Saturday are going to do to the conditions for Sunday and Monday.

Oh noez, even more analysis paralysis!!!!!

For Jay Peak:
Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 75 to 80 mph decreasing to between 35 and 40 mph. Winds could gust as high as 115 mph.

ScottySkis

Saturday's winds in some places are now forecast to be over 100mph*. :puke:

If Sunday's winds are bad, I'm certainly not going to Vermont, but I dont think wind will be a problem on Sunday. Of course, now it also makes one wonder what 80mph winds on Saturday are going to do to the conditions for Sunday and Monday.

Oh noez, even more analysis paralysis!!!!!

For Jay Peak:
http://www.liftopia.com/resort_detail.php?ResortId=54&StartDate=2012-03-02&NumberOfDays=1 you cant beat that deal $12 dollar for friday at Platty and you get powder and their chairs are still go up when others can not

tipsdown

It's hovering around single digits at Saddleback with 8-9 inches already on the ground and it's low density blower.

BenedictGomez

you cant beat that deal $12 dollar for friday at Platty

That is an absolutely badazz deal, AND it will be all powder since the mountain is closed today. Most likely 8" to 11". A no-brainer if you're NY/NJ and can ski tomorrow.

ScottySkis

That is an absolutely badazz deal, AND it will be all powder since the mountain is closed today. Most likely 8" to 11". A no-brainer if you're NY/NJ and can ski tomorrow.

Just saw on FB over a foot of powder at Platty I hope some Alpine members get the good stuff, I need to see pictures of it please/:snow::snow::snow:

Wavewheeler

Awesome conditions today at Gore. Snowed all day. Lots of powder and fun! There has to be almost a foot total. They are saying they are 100% open now. If you like glades now is the time! They are primed and ready to go. Tomorrow should be a great combination of groomers, bumps, glades, powder...you name it. I would think it holds true everywhere up here in the Daks, Green and White Mountains, Catskills ,etc.

Saturday..well..let's just say I'm glad I'm heading home. :sadwalk: With the temps they are calling for I don't know where you can go to avoid the rain. They are even calling for T-storms! :cry:

I skied in similar conditions at Killington a few years back. Had a decent day before and then it rained all day, then very windy then got cold overnight and we got a little snow, which saved it somewhat. My daughter and I went skiing but it was "challenging". There was an icy crust on the slopes and they tried to break it up resulting in lots of icy bits and pieces. We got thru it but it wasn't easy. My daughter wasn't used to skiing on that kind of hard ice and complained constantly.

Try and ski something/somewhere tomorrow because anywhere you go will be better than this weekend. Gore is calling tomorrow "best day of the season" on their website. :spread: I'm eating breakfast at the Lodge and want to be there when the lifts and gondola opens.

Good luck wherever you are. Maybe they will be wrong on Saturday. One can only hope. Damn shame because it's so nice now. :sad:

Tooth

All Maine TV mets calling for almost all snow in the mountains with sleet for a bit then ending in snow again. Luck. Calling 4+ inches. South of Route 2 will see more of a mix to nfp late. Just watched 10pm newscast WGME. wabi and wcsh reported same earlier.