• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre, Leap Day 2012

legalskier

Dust on groomed, becoming fresh powder
Temp: 26 (arrival), 28 (departure)

Originally I planned on hitting Blue or Elk today but the forecast changed early this morning to ice/rain for Pa. so I headed north. Arrived just after 9 & it was snowing already. And it snowed the entire day, dumping a good 4". This was my first true pow day of the season. If they had night skiing, I'd still be there- it was that enjoyable. Sparse crowds, no lines. Started off lapping Superchief, then moved to 7 lift, and on to Tomahawk. No one was paying any attention to the closed signs- there were tracks everywhere. After lunch repeated the same strategy but also decided to venture onto a lonesome trail on the extreme east side- it was awesome. Saved the last couple runs for the bumps of Onteora, which were amazing as they'd been pounded with fresh pow all day long. Forecast calls for more snow all day tomorrow. Get while the gettins good!

Belleayre glades
P1000066.JPG

Looking down Wanatuska berm
P1000106.JPG

Looking down Big T glades
P1000079.JPG

Tongora
P1000102.JPG

Winisook
P1000103.JPG

Winisook, skier's right
P1000097.JPG

Looking up said unnamed trail
P1000092.JPG

Different view
P1000096.JPG

Cayuga
P1000072.JPG

Warming up by the crackling fire
P1000085.JPG

Yes, Nick- I brought my camera this time. :wink:

Last edited:

twinplanx

Hmmm, looks tempting.... What was the weather like there today, How much snow will they end up with and were they able to avoid any mixing? :spin: :fangun:lots and lots of:fangun: please:

legalskier

Hmmm, looks tempting.... What was the weather like there today, How much snow will they end up with and were they able to avoid any mixing? :spin: :fangun:lots and lots of:fangun: please:

Unfortunately I couldn't stay past Wednesday, but they reported 6" total into Thusday- a nice shot in the arm. I've been watching the total snow count on their website and lately it's been increasing steadily.

k123

Anybody been skiing Belleayre in the recent spring conditions? Are they really grooming upper tongora like it says in the conditions report? I've never seen tongora groomed. Is lower onteora bumped up?

skidbump

Anybody been skiing Belleayre in the recent spring conditions? Are they really grooming upper tongora like it says in the conditions report? I've never seen tongora groomed. Is lower onteora bumped up?

Upper tongora by end of today should be almost unskiable as with almost all trails that had no snow making.
Lower onterora is being allowed to bump up as is left side of belleayre run top to bottom/ and top of winnisook