• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How fat is fat?

Puck it

I ski on nothing less then 90mm underfoot now unless I need a Cannon grind then I break out the Monster 88's.

Actually probably selling off my old iRaces (2 pairs) and Supershapes. Running out of space.

Any interest from anyone? I will post in the grear forum.

Hawkshot99

I have 66, 84, and 94 in my quiver.

The Watea 94 is in no way an every day ski in the East. Maybe if you don't like changing directions very quickly, I might see it, but advances in ski tech don't change physics. Wider is slower, no way to get around it.

I see people, and have friends that only ski on fat skis. They say how they handle just as good as the skinny stuff and there is no need to go skinnier. I have skied on the same skis they say are "great" in hard pack, and disagree. Yes they can be skied, but no, they are not nearly as good as my skinnier skis.

For me personally I have a 70, 82, 88, and a 108 option for waist widths. My main everyday ski in 88mm.

wa-loaf

There are some really sweet skis around the 100mm range these days. Two I skied today I would be happy to have as an everyday drive except on really hard days. I could see going down to two skis.

Atomic Alibi is 98mm and rips, has a lot of rocker but a 18m turn radius. This was a blast today in the crud and bumps and with a sheet of metal has a nice GS feel but still light and fun. Similar in size the Scott Dozer 100mm was just as fun but pretty different. It's got a 13m radius and has a carbon beam construction similar to the Watea's. It took me 1/2 a run to dial into the tight turn radius and then I was having a great time with them. Tracks pretty good in GS turns, but it's more a short to medium turn ski. It made them really easy to swing around in the bumps.

I'd probably lean toward the Alibi since I like the larger turn radius in most conditions.

wa-loaf

theory and alibi have similar dimensions, did you happen to ask the differences between them?

Yes, last years theory was just a wood core and it's 95 at the waist. The rep said they added carbon to the construction for next year that he claimed would make it livelier and have better torsional stiffness. I thought it was pretty lively last year, but I imagine this would improve edge grip too.

The Alibi is 98 at the waist and has a sheet of titanium in it making it a stiffer ski. So it's wider and stiffer than the Theory.

gmcunni

Yes, last years theory was just a wood core and it's 95 at the waist. The rep said they added carbon to the construction for next year that he claimed would make it livelier and have better torsional stiffness. I thought it was pretty lively last year, but I imagine this would improve edge grip too.

The Alibi is 98 at the waist and has a sheet of titanium in it making it a stiffer ski. So it's wider and stiffer than the Theory.

you suck, now i don't want the 2012 theory anymore but will be to cheap to by the 2013 theory or alibi.

gmcunni

i take it you didn't ski the new theory today?

Hawkshot99

Atomic Alibi is 98mm and rips, has a lot of rocker but a 18m turn radius. This was a blast today in the crud and bumps and with a sheet of metal has a nice GS feel but still light and fun.

This statement right there shows just how important demoing is. I skied the Alibi on Monday at a Demo, and could not get them off my feet any faster. I thought they skied ok at slow speeds with short turns, but as soon as I tried to open it up and GS the turns they scared me horribly. The first big turn I made they did not hold and came completely around on me. The person I was skiing with wanted to know why in the middle of a high speed turn I would swing them around switch....

wa-loaf

This statement right there shows just how important demoing is. I skied the Alibi on Monday at a Demo, and could not get them off my feet any faster. I thought they skied ok at slow speeds with short turns, but as soon as I tried to open it up and GS the turns they scared me horribly. The first big turn I made they did not hold and came completely around on me. The person I was skiing with wanted to know why in the middle of a high speed turn I would swing them around switch....

What were conditions like? It was all soft corn when I skied these.

Hawkshot99

What were conditions like? It was all soft corn when I skied these.

Firm, but edge-able. Im not saying that you are wrong in your thoughts of the ski at all. I am just saying that what you may feel is good, may not be for the person reading it. It sounds like you truly liked the ski, while I personally really did not like the ski. Maybe we are just used to different styles of skis, or ski way differently and have different requirements of the skis performance.

wa-loaf

Firm, but edge-able. Im not saying that you are wrong in your thoughts of the ski at all. I am just saying that what you may feel is good, may not be for the person reading it. It sounds like you truly liked the ski, while I personally really did not like the ski. Maybe we are just used to different styles of skis, or ski way differently and have different requirements of the skis performance.

Just curious if the conditions were similar. Definitely a fun soft snow ski. Firm but edgeable I'd want something else anyway.

bigbog

Hmmm, now I'm beginning to think seriously about the theory...
1) Isn't Atomic's bevel angle rather bland on wider skis?

Was thinking about how a 3deg bevel for edge but tips & tails might give a little more/"enough" edgegrip..y/n? Any guesses... Certainly nice weight to skin up with......although LINE...as well has a lightweight version of one of their skis with some width...