• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Closings

Madroch

Just saw jay's FB post- If they do it- I'll day trip it next weekend.... Hell of a ride- but desperation....

Zand

Burke is done today per sign at bottom of the lift. I'll be here for last chair.

MikeTrainor

Opted for loon over cannon today. Decent coverage considering. They also plan on blowing snow Sunday night.

SkiFanE

Huge props to SR. Skied Friday, carnage was horrible but still lots of nice soft snow. Some spots were getting to be thin ribbons, worried how it'd hold up to Sat. traffic. But snow was moved in the right places overnight, groomed and it was another great day on the hill. Firm in the AM but softened up nicely. Trash cans of snow going up Locke lift, makes sense if they blow snow on Locke Sunday, heard the lift offramp needs snow. Got Simon Dumonts autograph at apres :beer: I love skiing.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
A quick update looking into next weekend.

Skiing in the Eastern Canada will be limited to Quebec (up to 24 ski areas), Newfoundland (1 or more) and possibly Nova Scotia (1).

In the Eastern US, its down to Vermont (5), New Hampshire (4) and Maine (3).

There is no longer skiing after Sunday in Ontario (Blue didn't open this weekend), New Brunswick and New York.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012...ster-and-winter-hating-heatwave/#comment-1415

Pathetic. Looking to update the list by midweek.

PS. Waterville is offering free skiing until their closing ...they're hoping to make to April 1.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Do you post anything that doesnt spam to your blog?

Do you post anything in which you don't complain?

I got maybe 8000 posts in the last 10 years on various ski forums,,. I just started posting on AZ this year. If you visit, you'll that a minuscule fraction of these are link to my blog.

I joined AZ, because someone linked up to my blog. I decided to register here in order to place things in context.

I don't feel like cutting and pasting a list of 70 ski areas that most people wouldn't care about. If you want to see the list, check the link. I approximately post 15 times a month on my blog, I don't spam unless it related. I don't like copying and pasting the same thing from one forum to the next. Many people I know have migrated away from FTO, but all in different ski forum.

I don't spam my TRs. Generally the only places where I put links to my TRs are on FTO, because that is the place where I used to publish them. Someone asked me that it was better to provide a link than dropping out of that forum entirely.

I hope this answer your question. :roll:

Madroch

Maybe 15 mins further if you're coming up 91. About 2:30-2:45 from Brattleboro.

Cool- I've done Stowe from here outside htfd- Stowe is about the outer limits of a day trip-I can handle 15 mins more....

skidmarks

A quick update looking into next weekend.

Skiing in the Eastern Canada will be limited to Quebec (up to 24 ski areas), Newfoundland (1 or more) and possibly Nova Scotia (1).

In the Eastern US, its down to Vermont (5), New Hampshire (4) and Maine (3).

There is no longer skiing after Sunday in Ontario (Blue didn't open this weekend), New Brunswick and New York.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012...ster-and-winter-hating-heatwave/#comment-1415

Pathetic. Looking to update the list by midweek.

PS. Waterville is offering free skiing until their closing ...they're hoping to make to April 1.

Thanks for the update summary!
I checked out your blog for more info

JPTracker

From Jays Snow Report

Sunday, March 25th @ 6:30a

It looks as though Mother Nature is going to re-commit her priorities back to winter, so why not follow suit?* With cold temps moving in tomorrow through Tuesday we will be looking to take advantage of a 24h snowmaking window.* We probably could have made it without, but with, will ensure better and longer lasting snow deeper into April.* We will touch up the Interstate, Lower Quai and spot gun*our way up the Goat Run.

Looks like they are trying to keep more than just Jet & Haynes open into April.

Be there next weekend for their Annual Beach Party.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Thanks for the update summary!
I checked out your blog for more info
Thanks.

Here is this week's update:

Around the corner : Surviving the Heatwave or the End of the 2012 Eastern ski season?
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012...ve-or-the-end-of-the-2012-eastern-ski-season/

29 still spinning in the East this weekend, none in New York, but elsewhere

Newfoundland : 1 or more
Quebec : 17
Vermont : 4
New Hampshire : 4
Maine : 3

Pretty pathetic if you compare with numbers from previous years. Options are going to be going down after this weekend, at least 7-8 areas have stated that this coming weekend was their last. At it ain't No April Fool. :puke:

deadheadskier

Staff member
MadPatski

How busy are these Quebec Resorts? I'm sure Tremblant, Saint Anne etc do a good business, but it just surprises me to see so many of the ski areas up there still open. Obviously, they have a major weather advantage to preserve snow, but it just seems like a lot of areas to still be open. I didn't realize Quebec had the skiing population to support so many areas remaining open in the spring.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
MadPatski

How busy are these Quebec Resorts? I'm sure Tremblant, Saint Anne etc do a good business, but it just surprises me to see so many of the ski areas up there still open. Obviously, they have a major weather advantage to preserve snow, but it just seems like a lot of areas to still be open. I didn't realize Quebec had the skiing population to support so many areas remaining open in the spring.

Quebec has approximately 84 ski areas in huge geography. Laurentians account maybe for one third of them. The pattern this year is really weird as it isn't the regular late ski areas that are still spinning. Sure, they are the big guns like Tremblant and Ste-Anne (both on fixed date calendars), but many smaller one in region that weren't affected so much by the heatwave. Gaspe was hit hard and the fact that they really uniquely on Natural snow, they melted faster and shutdown. Massif closed down last week then decided to reopen this weekend on limited terrain. Ste-Anne and other areas near Quebec City are fairing much better and its almost business as usual. As for us in Ottawa, all the local shutdown with the heatwave. I wrote a TR on my blog on last Satuday earning turns, not much snow, which normally isn't much of an issue this time of year.

The normal end date for many areas in Quebec is generally Easter weekend, so in place where it's not summer yet, they still have a few folks still skiing. The real story is out is going to be left after Easter Monday? Tremblant, Ste-Anne and St-Sauveur? Who else in Quebec? Same in the NE.

Edit: if I broke down the region (yeah, I'm a geographer):

You have within 90 minutes north of Montreal:

2 areas in the Upper Laurentians
2 in the Lower Laurentians - both in St-Sauveur and owned by MSSI and connected.
2 in Lanaudière with is just east of the Laurentians and less busy. 2 places next to town small towns.

Within 90 minutes East of Montreal:
2 in the Eastern Townships - Bromont is almost suburbia.

Near Trois-Rivières (halfway MTL-Quebec City)
1 ski area

North of Quebec City and Charlevoix
Ste-Anne, Le Relais and Stoneham conditons are pretty good. All are within 45 minutes from the city.
Le Massif is a but further.

The last 4 are in 3 separate regions.
Le Valinouet is in the Saguenay
2 small local hills on the North Shore (north of the Gaspe across the sea like St. Lawrence at the level).
And (no confirmation), Val Neigette which is just outside the biggest town near the Gaspe Peninsula: Rimouski. The bigger hill maybe 45 minutes from town are closed which is exceptional.

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com