• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Observatiions

catskillman

What is going on - things are getting sloppy

The board at the base of the 6 pack hasen't been updated in weeks, it is still advertising the "anything red" sale that was over on Feb. 14

The courtesy patrol is anything but - the big douffy Jeff guy insulted an 80+ skier while boarding the quad on the west side. He said to the guy " Nothing intimidates you except ----" The ---- is he made the sign of a womans privates by using his thumbs and forefingers. This guy was an instructer there for over 50 years, skis fine for having 2 replacement knees. In fact he is much better than this guy.

Ski patrol was noting picking up someone with a head injury and he wasen't wearing a helmet. I agree he should have the choice, but I still kind of feel he should set an example.

At the summit lodge, a friend went to turn on the water in the ladies room and the entire faucet moved.

Copper Tree bar has closed for the season. Really miss this, understand that the crowds are down, but they were busy and what could it posibbly cost for 1 bartender?

D lift was not running on Saturday. Ran on Sunday though. ??

We will never be able to figure it out, but there just seems to be a lack of attention to details this season.

I will still ski there every day I can.

Your thoughts?

JimG.

Staff member
The snow at Hunter has been great all season despite the lack of any real winter weather this year.

It sucks that the ambassador dude made fun of Bert, but what can you expect from a group of below average skiers who think they run the hill?

The other stuff I don't care about.

TropicTundR

It's a hard knocking life 4 us.

Instead of treated, we get tricked..
Instead of kisses, we get kicked.

It's a hard knocking life

goldsbar

Whatever happened to that DMC guy who used to always defend the place?

Actually, in my eyes it's a lot better than it used to be. The lifties were generally friendly and the "a fist fight can happen at any moment vibe" is no longer present. Actually feels family oriented. Snowmaking is great, grooming only OK and they groom way too much.

kingslug

I have only one complaint about the place, the bathrooms...hellIi could fix the doors in an hour..wonder why they don't..i even have the parts...might bring some and just do it my self..bet that would confuse them...other than that..they do the best job with the snow..and the lack there of...

JimG.

Staff member
Whatever happened to that DMC guy who used to always defend the place?

Actually, in my eyes it's a lot better than it used to be. The lifties were generally friendly and the "a fist fight can happen at any moment vibe" is no longer present. Actually feels family oriented. Snowmaking is great, grooming only OK and they groom way too much.

DMC is still sliding around the mountain.

I have been impressed with the lifties, especially the way they are looking out for the kids. And they do their jobs with a smile and a hello.

Grooming in general has been OK; this season it has saved a few weekend days that would have been fairly unskiable without it. We have had quite a few whopper freeze/thaw/freezes.

catskillman

The conditions haven't been that differant from previous years, just got off to a late start and shounds like it will be an early finish.

Notice they never responded to the Challange questions - no surprise there...........

Let me know when you want to repair them, I will gladly help. I'll bring the air freshners

JimG.

Staff member
The conditions haven't been that differant from previous years, just got off to a late start and shounds like it will be an early finish.

Exactly why I'm a season passholder...consistency.

The start and finish dates will be comparable to other areas considering the lousy winter we had this season.

ScottySkis

I think Hunter management use to me much better, but I only ski their a few times in the last years.

catskillman

I hope it is the 8th, which is Easter Sunday. However, the buzz is that it will be the 31st, pond skimming.

The mountain cancelled the band they had scheduled for April 7th.

JimmyPete

I wonder if they will make the 8th, some heat coming this week. My biggest complaint was several Thursday and Friday nights very cold and no blowing. I know it was a tough season but if it's 10 degrees out get one trail covered with fresh. Top of Clairs could always use some attention with grooming, in conditions like this year. Again I understand thedesire to leave it alone but it was actually dangerous at times. Bathrooms do suck. Overall Hunter is still the standard for the Cats.

JimG.

Staff member
I wonder if they will make the 8th, some heat coming this week. My biggest complaint was several Thursday and Friday nights very cold and no blowing. I know it was a tough season but if it's 10 degrees out get one trail covered with fresh. Top of Clairs could always use some attention with grooming, in conditions like this year. Again I understand thedesire to leave it alone but it was actually dangerous at times. Bathrooms do suck. Overall Hunter is still the standard for the Cats.

I don't hold it against them that they didn't blow snow at every opportunity in February. They had a horrible Christmas week and President's week was not much better. I doubt they will do any better than break even this year.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

Refurbishing the bathrooms should be a priority, but I doubt it will happen over this summer with the poor numbers...:-?

ScottySkis

Hunter use to make lots of snow to make trails get that nice machine Powder in the 90s but it was much much cheaper then to do that.