• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Observatiions

JimmyPete

The Slutsky's vision and dedication to the mountain and early recognition of snowmaking as essential for an Eastern resort is legendary, but the guys are getting up there, I also noticed somewhat less attention to detail, It may well be simply the crappy weather which never allowed the place to get some rhythm. Maybe a need for some change in middle management. I'm still looking for someone to cut one more blue from the top would take pressure off of the whole mountain.

ScottySkis

Most of the family does not run Hunter anymore, ya management has taken a down fall, and that is another reason I only go a couple times in a season to Hunter.

The Slutsky's vision and dedication to the mountain and early recognition of snowmaking as essential for an Eastern resort is legendary, but the guys are getting up there, I also noticed somewhat less attention to detail, It may well be simply the crappy weather which never allowed the place to get some rhythm. Maybe a need for some change in middle management. I'm still looking for someone to cut one more blue from the top would take pressure off of the whole mountain.

There is no place to cut a blue from the top.

Most of the family does not run Hunter anymore, ya management has taken a down fall, and that is another reason I only go a couple times in a season to Hunter.

Not true, Paul, David and CB are invloved as well as 2 of the grand kids now. More than ever, its family.

goldsbar

There is no place to cut a blue from the top.

Yeah, tend to agree. The only place I can think of is that trail they planned on top of the ridge along Annapurna which would lead to the westside lift. Might be good for the mountain but I like the fact that the lift is relatively uncrowded compared to the rest of the mountain.

JimmyPete

Blue from the top of Hunter

Yeah, tend to agree. The only place I can think of is that trail they planned on top of the ridge along Annapurna which would lead to the westside lift. Might be good for the mountain but I like the fact that the lift is relatively uncrowded compared to the rest of the mountain.

What about way over to the left of K-27 and under the zip line??

JimmyPete

Btw look at the map the zipline is on Hunter property, why can't a blue trail be cut around there, would take an incredible amount of pressure off of Belt Parkway???

JimmyPete

I am sure there are serious costs, but Hunter has put up two new lifts with greater uphill capacity than it had in the past. Everyone who skis there on the weekend knows that Belt gets way too crowded and that there are many intermediate skiers on the trails where they shouldn't be. Frankly by noon this creates dangerous situations on Belt and on the face of the mountain. Just one more blue from the top would make the mountain much more enjoyable for all.

The terrain heading under the ZIP is very steep. Several years ago, Dave sent a bulldozer and they cut a zig zag goat path that starts from the trail sign heading to the fire tower. It basically ruined the tree skiing around there (further ruined by all the recent logging and debris). But too make a full width Blue trail is not possible towards that direction nor desirable. Plenty of Blue square terrain can be cut from below the Belt heading towards the road to Z lift.