• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback 3-10-2012

oakapple

I took a bus trip to Camelback from NYC on Saturday. The bus company runs a "twilight" package, which leaves the city at 10:30 a.m. and leaves the hill at 8:00 p.m., taking advantage of Camelback's night skiing (which is actually open until 9:00).

Despite its modest vertical (800'), Camelback is very spread out, and they get a lot out of what they have. There are about a half-dozen legitimate single-blacks, though true experts will probably find that they aren't long enough and have long blue (or green) runouts. Most of the blacks are groomed; only one (Asp) was heavily bumped. One trail, Cliffhanger, is rated double-black, for reasons that utterly eluded me. It was perhaps the third or fourth-hardest trail on the hill.

Camelback's terrain parks are isolated from the rest of the mountain, served by a separate lift, and you need a "park pass" to use them. I haven't seen any other ski area with this "feature". I don't spend a lot of time in the parks, but I do like to try them occasionally as a change of pace. The liftie explained that the separate pass is required "for liability reasons," but I don't see why, as most other ski areas don't feel compelled to do this.

Camelback's website said that they had made snow the night before (ahem, Killington). I don't know of many places that are still making snow in March. Snow quality was some of the best I have seen this season. Temperatures were very comfortable, around 40F. Like everywhere else, they've had almost zero useful natural snow, but the mountain was nearly 100 percent open, with the odd exception of Pocono Raceway. (It had good snow cover, so I can't imagine why they closed it.)

I skied pretty much every trail that was open, other than a couple of beginner slopes, and many of them two or three times. Lift lines were minimal, except for my first run of the day. Night skiing felt a bit eerie, as there were very few people out there, and almost every trail remained open, so you could spread out and hardly see a soul. The lights don't quite cover everything, so you find yourself in near darkness at times, heading for brightness that is some distance away.

4aprice

Nice report Oakapple. I was there Wed and it was good spring skiing and at that point 100% open. I'm not surprised to see Pocono Raceway and Near East closed. That trail requires a ton of snow and though they tried they never really got that much on it. I'm gonna try to get 1 more day there this week but with this weather their days are numbered.

I like the seperate terrain park. I can see as a day tripper how it would be inconvient to you but as a pass holder I get a free park pass and its a great place to hide when it gets really crowded.

I have really enjoyed my time there as a pass holder and will continue to be one for the next several years. At 45 min from my house its IMO the best area in the area. Blue has more vert but is further away, Elk is too far to day trip. Camelback has good elevation and is able to make snow when other Pocono areas can't. Yes the runs are short but as you mentioned it is spread out across the ridge with plenty of ways down. I like to start at one end and ski every possible way down to the other end. Makes for an entertaining day. When they supply us with bumps it make the mountain ski a little bigger.

Finally I want to give the management full props for the job they did this past season. It was not easy but they got the mountain entirely open and gave us bumps when they could. Next year hopefully winter will return and I would gladly suggest to anyone in this area to give the mountain a visit. Its not the Rockies or the Green Mountains but they do a great job with the snow and its definately worth a visit.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

oakapple

I like the seperate terrain park. I can see as a day tripper how it would be inconvient to you but as a pass holder I get a free park pass and its a great place to hide when it gets really crowded.
I am just wondering why their lawyers seem to think they need a separate pass "for liability reasons," when no other ski area I'm aware of has reached the same conclusion.

The fact that the terrain parks are isolated is not, in itself, a liability. Mount Snow is the same way; but at Mount Snow anyone with a lift ticket can head over there, if they want to.

4aprice

Of skier visits to the Poconos well over 50% are "never evers"........hence the park pass.
h

I like the seperate park. While not the biggest the people who use it seem to like it. It's served by its own lift, they blow a ton of snow in that pod (with some of the best equipment on Rodo Glade (no longer a glade)). I think to non pass holders its a one time $5 charge and required video session. 2 years ago they put up some really huge takeoffs on Rodo. I'm not a park guy (though I use the lift quite a bit) so I don't know what makes good features and what dosen't. Blue uses Sidewinder which was a good trail before but I'm not sure its the best layout for a park with its switch backs. Big Boulder is totally park now. They do have a smaller park (progression) over under Bailey Lift.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ