Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta - Page 9

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it

41 45.05%
  • Don't like it

18 19.78%
  • Don't care

32 35.16%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Your phrasing of the that (your skill is not allowed) made me think of this a different way. How about a mountain that says "advanced skiers and riders" only. If your skill doesn't put you in this category you are not allowed to slide on our resort. I wonder how that would play in terms of niche marketing and general acceptability.
    Mount Bohemia uses this "expert only" marketing ploy. http://www.mtbohemia.com/
    Timothy

Hunter 1
    Magic 2
    Berkshire East 1
    Gore 1
    Bromley 1
    Pico 1
    Butternut 1
    Belleayre 1

2012-13--26
    2011-2012--16
    2010-11--30

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Why are you and Snoseek carrying on a private conversation about Tahoe in a Northeast ski forum?
    Because this is the perfect thread to derail

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Why are you and Snoseek carrying on a private conversation about Tahoe in a Northeast ski forum?
    Whats up with the name Gilligan??

Steveo

Quote Originally Posted by powhunter View Post
    Whats up with the name Gilligan??

Steveo
    When I am here I feel lost.

don't understand a mountain that pushes a family agenda and bans boarders, not very family friendly,{Deer Valley}

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Your phrasing of the that (your skill is not allowed) made me think of this a different way. How about a mountain that says "advanced skiers and riders" only. If your skill doesn't put you in this category you are not allowed to slide on our resort. I wonder how that would play in terms of niche marketing and general acceptability.
    Works great at Silverton Mountain, Colorado... And places in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    How I feel.

And as a skier, MRG has lost out on my dollars on more than a handful of occasions over the years as I was skiing those days with snowboarders.
    Yeah but you also need to keep in mind that there are people who ski there because it is skier only, who otherwise might not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by mlctvt View Post
    One thing I noticed when we were at Park City earlier this year was the lack of snow boarders compared to skiers. I'd estimate the ratio of snow boarders at 10%-20% or less. It really surprised us as here in southern VT I'd estimate it's closer to 40-50% snow boards.
    We skied Sunday through Friday and there were lots of retired folks at the mountains. Maybe that made a difference? Or maybe Deer Valley and their anti-boarder mentality is rubbing off on PCMR and Canyons too?
    I haven't been to any of the Park City areas, but I thought PCMR was known for its terrain parks. Maybe that's where all the boarders were.
    The places I have skied out there..Alta (obviously) Snowbird, Solitude and Snowbasin all seemed to have a fairly low percentage of boarders. Especially in areas that require traversing. I know Brighton is very popular with snowbarders.

Quote Originally Posted by eatskisleep View Post
    Yeah but you also need to keep in mind that there are people who ski there because it is skier only, who otherwise might not bother.
    oh yeah?

what would they do if snowboarders were allowed? Hop a plane to Deer Valley or Alta?

I'm sure you are right; I just don't understand why some skiers STILL discriminate against snowboarders
    Killington 11/11; Crotched 12/1,12/15, 12/19, 12/27, 12/31, 1/2, 1/8, 1/10, 1/22, 1/28, 2/5, 2/17 Attitash, 12/12, 1/9; Wildcat 12/30, Suicide Six 1/13; Smuggs, 1/14; Cannon, 2/2; Sugarloaf 2/7, 2/8, 2/9
    07-08, 08-09 09-10 10-11
    11-12 12-13

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I just don't understand why some skiers STILL discriminate against snowboarders
    What's not to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by rocojerry View Post
    As long as the shareholders-owners are 100% skiing and brainwashed on keeping it that way, I don't think they will flip. A better chance of it going out of business eventually and opening with new ownership that allows both.

Can't speak for Alta -- but you can at least already get over there from Snowbird if you want to.
    Last time I saw a count of votes at MRG posted there were over 30% of the members that voted to allow snowboarding. It was about 5 or 6 years ago. Don't remember where I read that. I think it was in one of the ski or snowboard magazines and it was from a member. Eventually the old duct-taped miserable and angry members will die off and new more modern thinking people will join and snowboarding will be allowed at MRG!

The skier vs boarder stuff is ridiculous!

Thread Information