• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta

How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

• Like it

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

snoseek

40 vs. 16. I'd say there's plenty of anti on this site!

As far as a place like MRG, If its truly an awesome mtn (which it is imo) then people will line up regardless. Like I said...Taos, no noticable difference to me. Then again acerage might play a factor.

deadheadskier

Staff member
40 vs. 16. I'd say there's plenty of anti on this site!

Been more than a few folks in this thread that have said once the crotchety old skiers die off, the ban will be lifted at MRG. Going on stats, that means there are 16 forum members who want 40 anti-snowboarding forum members dead. :eek: :lol:

MadPadraic

Been more than a few folks in this thread that have said once the crotchety old skiers die off, the ban will be lifted at MRG. Going on stats, that means there are 16 forum members who want 40 anti-snowboarding forum members dead. :eek: :lol:

39 actually. I'm a snowboarder and therefore not a crotchedy old skier. However, I voted to keep the ban.

RENO

Not all of them. :razz:
Of course, those 16 are supposed to be skiers so there must be a lot more AZoners that wish death on the 40! :lol:

benwhiteskis

Any traverses should just be banned to snowboarders unless they're very good. I can't count how many times I could have carried speed through an up but almost hit a snowboarder who couldn't carry speed and had to take off their board and post-hole their way up a little section

Method9455

Any traverses should just be banned to snowboarders unless they're very good. I can't count how many times I could have carried speed through an up but almost hit a snowboarder who couldn't carry speed and had to take off their board and post-hole their way up a little section

Classic.

You know that you can turn without scrubbing speed right? I can't remember the last time I had trouble running out of speed on a traverse whether I was on my skis or my board due to newbies clogging it up. But I've seen a million people stuck on traverses (skier or snowboarder) because they don't wax their gear and can't make subtle turns without skidding. Who exactly isn't very good?

RENO

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read! :lol:

Tooth

Classic.

You know that you can turn without scrubbing speed right? I can't remember the last time I had trouble running out of speed on a traverse whether I was on my skis or my board due to newbies clogging it up. But I've seen a million people stuck on traverses (skier or snowboarder) because they don't wax their gear and can't make subtle turns without skidding. Who exactly isn't very good?

Exactly.

MadPadraic

You what's really annoying? Having skiers (and maybe a boarder or two) strung out across the top of an uphill blocking you from finishing the cat track. But hey, it's never intentional, so why care?

Grumpy skiers should have their place to congregate. Why take it from them? Besides Anyone Can Ski Mad River Glen, but borders have to earn their turns :wink:

avery

No strong opionions here. I will say that one of my favorite things about MRG is the throw-back feel. So perhaps keeping it snowboard free is more reminiscent of days past when everyone had independent leg motion? That said, I'm married to a great boarder/mediocre skier... I'd have more fun ripping up MRG with him if he was on his board. Then again, we've had some laughs watching him try to navigate that mountain on his skies :)

Cannonball

No strong opionions here. I will say that one of my favorite things about MRG is the throw-back feel. So perhaps keeping it snowboard free is more reminiscent of days past when everyone had independent leg motion?

Ah, maybe that's a way to approach it. Instead of banning snowboarders, just call it the "throw-back" mountain. No equipment allowed that was introduced after 1980. That would pretty much solve the snowboard 'problem'. It would also solve the parabolic, mid-fat, fat, twin-tip, gore-tex, and helmet 'problems'.

Method9455

I'm a skier and a snowboarder. A large contingent of the people I ride with only snowboard. That prevents me from going to MRG and Alta.

I still don't think it's a problem. Let them do their thing. I personally think the mountains are converging too much on one model. High-speed lifts, lots of grooming and snowmaking, cookie cutter villages, high ticket prices, etc etc.

I like the uniquness of Magic, MRG, Alta, Silverton, or the park-centric mountains like Bear, Big Boulder, or Boreal.

There are plenty of places with that broad mix of some groomers, some bumps, some park, etc etc. But there is nothing wrong with places specializing. If you are a bump-master, go out to Mary Jane. If you love park, go to Breck. If you absolutely love groomers, go to Deer Valley. If you want trees, go to Steamboat. If every mountain is basically the same there is nothing memorable about it.

One of the best trips was going to Tremblant during the strike year in 2006. Not much was groomed, they hadn't made snow, there were few guests, but there were lots of bumps. The place was a total throwback. It turned out to be a lot of fun.

So it's completely fine if some places ban snowboarders. Frankly I'd love to go to a place that banned everyone who wasn't into park (so twin-tip skis, snowboards, or GTFO). Or was racing only, maybe a small place but there were 10 trails that had gates on them instead of just 1.