• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta

How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

• Like it

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

skiersleft

I know snowboarders don't like it. So if you're a boarder try not to vote. The point is to see how skiers feel about the ban. Of course, boarders should feel free to voice their displeasure about such policies in the thread, but it would be cool if we get a sense of how skiers here feel about this ban.

hammer

Really trying to :stirpot: on a too-warm spring day?

;-)

Guess I don't like it (think it smacks of elitism regardless of the stated reasons) but my feelings aren't that strong about it. Not enough to mean I won't go to those areas.

Last edited:

skiersleft

Really trying to :stirpot: on a too-warm spring day?

Not really. Just curious. A boarder over on Kzone wants a sticker that says "No one cares if you ski MRG". It's obvious what boarders think of the ban, but I'm not so sure opinion is that unanimous in the case of skiers. Maybe it is. Don't know, so decided to start a poll!

Riverskier

Don't care. Private businesses can run their operations as they see fit. If they feel there is a niche market for a skier only area, and that excluding potential customers is actually in their best interest, then so be it. Were only talking a few areas in the whole country, so it's not like snowboarders have nowhere to go.

Tooth

Who really cares? It is elitist but I am fine riding at great mountains all over the country and beyond. I wouldnt want to ride at those places anyway. I hope they all struggle financially and someday will beg snowboarders to help bail them out by offering access to them. I hope the snowboarding community remembers how they didnt let them in. If you dont want me then I dont care to ride at your place. I do think its cool how snowboarders poach those places anyway. Its an old and stupid set of rules. BTW, the division exists in skiing also. Alpine vs freestyle skiers. Different mindsets I guess. The freestyle skiers are way more like the snowboarders than the alpinists in terms of mindsets, personality, etc. Thats all the time I will devote to this.

gladerider

i ride and i don't care. whenever i think about hitting places up north, i never think about mrg. bush is always at the top of the list. don't think i am missing much. alta? don't think i am missing much there either, cuz i like riding snowbird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I knew we could not get through this season without the infamous snowboard ban discussion. We have it every season and it usually doesn't go over too well.

boston_e

I'm a skier primarially and there is no argument that makes sense for the banning of snowboards. That being said I guess I'm somewhere in between the "don't like it" and "don't care" category since it does not affect me. But as Warren Miller said,if snowboarding had been invented first then areas would ban people from going with those two funny looking sticks strapped to their feet.

Cannonball

I don't really think if it as an exclusion of snowboarders. I think of it as a quarantine for elitist skiers. It allows me to ride (or ski) at Sugarbush and Snowbird without the dicky contingent who are off on their own. We used to have similar 'special' areas in grade school. I wasn't allowed to ride on the short bus with them, but it didn't bother me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't really think if it as an exclusion of snowboarders. I think of it as a quarantine for elitist skiers. It allows me to ride (or ski) at Sugarbush and Snowbird without the dicky contingent who are off on their own. We used to have similar 'special' areas in grade school. I wasn't allowed to ride on the short bus with them, but it didn't bother me.

It's interesting that you mention this because I've skied a lot at both named areas and to some extent this is true.

Last edited:

AdironRider

Boomers will stop skiing. When they do, MRG and Alta open to boarders. Guaranteed.

Not only is it a 50/50 ratio at best for skiers to boarders for the upcoming generations, but we really dont give a shit about it either. If anything, people will get elitist about letting everyone in and not excluding anyone.

ScottySkis

I think everyone should be able to get down the hill how ever they want, but private owners should be able to set rules they want.