• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta

How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

• Like it

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

emmaurice2

Your phrasing of the that (your skill is not allowed) made me think of this a different way. How about a mountain that says "advanced skiers and riders" only. If your skill doesn't put you in this category you are not allowed to slide on our resort. I wonder how that would play in terms of niche marketing and general acceptability.

Mount Bohemia uses this "expert only" marketing ploy. http://www.mtbohemia.com/

darent

don't understand a mountain that pushes a family agenda and bans boarders, not very family friendly,{Deer Valley}

eatskisleep

Your phrasing of the that (your skill is not allowed) made me think of this a different way. How about a mountain that says "advanced skiers and riders" only. If your skill doesn't put you in this category you are not allowed to slide on our resort. I wonder how that would play in terms of niche marketing and general acceptability.

Works great at Silverton Mountain, Colorado... And places in Europe ;)

How I feel.

And as a skier, MRG has lost out on my dollars on more than a handful of occasions over the years as I was skiing those days with snowboarders.

Yeah but you also need to keep in mind that there are people who ski there because it is skier only, who otherwise might not bother.

dropKickMurphy

One thing I noticed when we were at Park City earlier this year was the lack of snow boarders compared to skiers. I'd estimate the ratio of snow boarders at 10%-20% or less. It really surprised us as here in southern VT I'd estimate it's closer to 40-50% snow boards.
We skied Sunday through Friday and there were lots of retired folks at the mountains. Maybe that made a difference? Or maybe Deer Valley and their anti-boarder mentality is rubbing off on PCMR and Canyons too?

I haven't been to any of the Park City areas, but I thought PCMR was known for its terrain parks. Maybe that's where all the boarders were.
The places I have skied out there..Alta (obviously) Snowbird, Solitude and Snowbasin all seemed to have a fairly low percentage of boarders. Especially in areas that require traversing. I know Brighton is very popular with snowbarders.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah but you also need to keep in mind that there are people who ski there because it is skier only, who otherwise might not bother.

oh yeah?

what would they do if snowboarders were allowed? Hop a plane to Deer Valley or Alta? :lol:

I'm sure you are right; I just don't understand why some skiers STILL discriminate against snowboarders

RENO

As long as the shareholders-owners are 100% skiing and brainwashed on keeping it that way, I don't think they will flip. A better chance of it going out of business eventually and opening with new ownership that allows both.

Can't speak for Alta -- but you can at least already get over there from Snowbird if you want to.

Last time I saw a count of votes at MRG posted there were over 30% of the members that voted to allow snowboarding. It was about 5 or 6 years ago. Don't remember where I read that. I think it was in one of the ski or snowboard magazines and it was from a member. Eventually the old duct-taped miserable and angry members will die off and new more modern thinking people will join and snowboarding will be allowed at MRG! :lol:

The skier vs boarder stuff is ridiculous!

jrmagic

One thing I noticed when we were at Park City earlier this year was the lack of snow boarders compared to skiers. I'd estimate the ratio of snow boarders at 10%-20% or less. It really surprised us as here in southern VT I'd estimate it's closer to 40-50% snow boards.

Interesting. At Magic I would estimate its closer to the 10-20% threshold. I guess in part because we don't have parks.

AdironRider

Last time I saw a count of votes at MRG posted there were over 30% of the members that voted to allow snowboarding. It was about 5 or 6 years ago. Don't remember where I read that. I think it was in one of the ski or snowboard magazines and it was from a member. Eventually the old duct-taped miserable and angry members will die off and new more modern thinking people will join and snowboarding will be allowed at MRG! :lol:

The skier vs boarder stuff is ridiculous!

Thats some good info if true.

Im with ya on the older, angrier members dieing off. I cant remember the last time I saw or heard anyone bitch about snowboarders that wasnt at least middle aged. The next generation really does not care whatsoever. An extreme majority of the older generation doesnt care either.

eatskisleep

oh yeah?

what would they do if snowboarders were allowed? Hop a plane to Deer Valley or Alta? :lol:

I'm sure you are right; I just don't understand why some skiers STILL discriminate against snowboarders

The bumps. ;) I'm always on the lookout for good bump runs, but so far nothing compares to the bumps at MGR.

(Disclaimer: I used to snowboard too. Just ski now. Nothing against snowboarders. But the bumps at MRG don't compare to anywhere else. People out west say the same about the bumps at Alta vs Snowbird.)

deadheadskier

Staff member
The bumps. ;) I'm always on the lookout for good bump runs, but so far nothing compares to the bumps at MGR.

(Disclaimer: I used to snowboard too. Just ski now. Nothing against snowboarders. But the bumps at MRG don't compare to anywhere else. People out west say the same about the bumps at Alta vs Snowbird.)

I dunno, Sugarbush is pretty much the top bump destination in the east IMO and they allow snowboarders. I know MRG always has great bumps as well. If someone wants to argue they're better than those at the Bush, they maybe right. Still doesn't mean that the Bush doesn't have fantastic bumps and they obviously allow boarders.

I certainly don't disagree with the notion that a snowboard can screw up a bump line, but I think people over hype that fact. Most boarders I know don't really care for bumps all that much unless they're pow bumps. Even those boarders who do enjoy bumps, they tend to not be as fanatical about moguls as skiers.

I highly doubt the bump product at MRG suffers tremendously if boarders were allowed on the hill.