• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing in slush

legalskier

What's your approach? Any good tips?

norm_slush_skiing.jpg

spring-slush-tour6.jpg

snowmonster

^ Thank you, sir. May I have another?

Break out the fat skis and slap on some yellow wax. Apply sunscreen. Stay away from short sleeved shirts or shorts because, if you take a digger, the raspberries you get on snow are worse than on astroturf. Trust me on this.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
^ Thank you, sir. may I have another.

Break out the fat skis and slap on some yellow wax. Apply sunscreen. Stay away from short sleeved shirts or shorts because, if you take a digger, the raspberries you get on snow are worse than on astroturf. Trust me on this.

Yeah, I fell last year at Wachusett, I was gloveless, and I scraped up my hands pretty damn good.

Cornhead

I had a feeling that was coming. At least you didn't say "wear a bikini." :smile:

23482_106864452672731_100000475298005_184838_3167765_n.jpg
Works for me, Zardoz works too. I haven't used it in a couple years, but the first time I did I was hitting wet spots and nearly face planting. I went into the shop and tried the towelettes, it worked. I had been buying the puck, and using it prior to hot waxing. Like 2knees said, stick to the bumps, it's the place to be in the Spring. Even I can ski Spring bumps, good for the ego.

snoseek

Fat skis and soft wax. This time of year I just was with a straight household candle (unscented), It has similar qualities to the yellow. Steeper shady terrain is where its at

Terry

Fat is where it is at. Fat skis are fun in the slush and mashed potatoes. Almost as fun as powder.

Cornhead

Fat skis and soft wax. This time of year I just was with a straight household candle (unscented), It has similar qualities to the yellow. Steeper shady terrain is where its at
Ha, I hot waxed with a household candle last year, it worked pretty good unless it was very cold, bayberry I believe. I've used straight paraffin wax too. You can buy it in the supermarket dirt cheap. It's used for canning. Love Spring skiing, don't blink or you'll miss it this year.:angry:

Ditto on the fat skis too, picked up some Mantras this year, better than my Tigersharks on everything but hardpack, not to shabby on that either.

ERJ-145CA

I have to learn to wax my skis, currently my method for wet snow is to move into the back seat until I'm past it. I put some rub on wax on my skis for Belleayre tomorrow but that's gone after a run or two.

Cornhead

I have to learn to wax my skis, currently my method for wet snow is to move into the back seat until I'm past it. I put some rub on wax on my skis for Belleayre tomorrow but that's gone after a run or two.

Go to Walmart and buy the cheapest clothes iron they've got, about seven bucks. I made a jig mimicking the soles of my boots, but two supports and rubber bands for the brakes are the way most shops do it. A plastic scrapper, gummy stone, file guide, texturing brush are all you need, oh and wax. I'm using One Ball Jay Flouro this year, it smells good too! I think it was about ten bucks. A shop vac is a big plus. I enjoy waxing my skis, snowboards on the other hand are a pita, I used to do my Son's.

If you're experiencing the grabbies, try Zardoz, see if they have the towelettes at the shop. They're a buck or two, worked for me.

goldsbar

Exagerated old school up-unweighting. Keep your skis pointed as much down the fall line as possible if you can get comfortable with the speed. Depending on how slushy your slush is, this strategy can get dangerous. Stay off untracked. Bumps are best. Structure your bases. Look for shade.

Skimaine

Exagerated old school up-unweighting. Keep your skis pointed as much down the fall line as possible if you can get comfortable with the speed. Depending on how slushy your slush is, this strategy can get dangerous. Stay off untracked. Bumps are best. Structure your bases. Look for shade.

Proper structure on the bases can make a huge difference. Happy Tunes did some magic structure thingy that got rid of the grabbing I was experiencing last spring.

Smellytele

Go to Walmart and buy the cheapest clothes iron they've got, about seven bucks. I made a jig mimicking the soles of my boots, but two supports and rubber bands for the brakes are the way most shops do it. A plastic scrapper, gummy stone, file guide, texturing brush are all you need, oh and wax. I'm using One Ball Jay Flouro this year, it smells good too! I think it was about ten bucks. A shop vac is a big plus. I enjoy waxing my skis, snowboards on the other hand are a pita, I used to do my Son's.

If you're experiencing the grabbies, try Zardoz, see if they have the towelettes at the shop. They're a buck or two, worked for me.

I have an old iron with no holes for steam which works great. I use a rat tail file to hold my bindings down or a fork. Actually not my skis but my family's skis - not an issue with the tele's. Also just a small piece of plexiglass works for scrapping.