Banner ads- why don't they open in a new tab/window?

AlpineZone

Banner ads- why don't they open in a new tab/window?

I hate clicking on one and it taking me away from AZ. I might never find my way back.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Right click > Choose open in new tab or window.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Right click > Choose open in new tab or window.
    No- that involves thinking and action on my part. I require as much automation as possible form all things. Someone else needs to do the work for me.

But seriously- why isn't the industry standard to open ads in a new window? Seems like it only makes sense- when a commercial comes on TV, they don't make it be on a different channel, after all.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    But seriously- why isn't the industry standard to open ads in a new window? Seems like it only makes sense- when a commercial comes on TV, they don't make it be on a different channel, after all.
    I agree with you. I'm not sure why it's the way it is. Some of the ads you can't configure to open in another window, for some reason, so there may not be much Nick can do about it.

Depending on the browser you're using, you may be able to configure it so that any link that points to an external website (from the page you're currently on) will automatically be opened in a new window/tab.
    Brian

People click on ads? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by dansherpa View Post
    People click on ads? Seriously?
    Support AZ, man! Do your part.

Back in the day, there used to be "ad clicking days" on Fark to generate revenue. Probably they don't need to do that anymore.
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    No- that involves thinking and action on my part. I require as much automation as possible form all things. Someone else needs to do the work for me.

Depends on the ad. If someone gives us a image ad, then I typically have it open in a new window (_blank).

Other ads are just embedded from a third party host, and I can't control that in that case
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information