• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skier vs. snowboarder

Jcb890

People downhill from you always have the right of way.
By definition, it you hit someone or something, you are out of control.

What appears to have upset you more was the son castigating you over the incident.
Owning up to being at fault is expected. You get no points for that. Be more careful.

I agree that I was out of control and am the cause of said accident. However, I feel that the woman was also partially at fault for basically walking across a trail without looking (she had skis on, but was not moving fast). Mostly my fault though for sure.

What upset me most was hitting her and possibly injuring someone else. It shook me up and ended my day, I stopped after that run. I thought her son was a prick, but just being overprotective of his mother in that situation. It did annoy me at the time though.

Jcb890

Yeah ....Good point , they do Loiter around quite a bit!:grin:

Looks like he was being filmed and misjudged his path .

Normally I would agree 100% as many snowboarders do tend to loiter in bad spots. However, I have been noticing a trend this year of more skiers taking over this role.

JimG.

Staff member
Sounds like an addendum to the code is in order or a" Convetion"
To update responsibilties , Blacks , Blues , Greens , etiquette ,parks ....ect.
When did the first code come out anyway?

Right.

Because I know I read the skier's responsibility code every morning before my first run and I'm positive that every other slider does every morning also.

I'll assume you were being sarcastic.

ironhippy

i'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits but i hope the snowboader hits him with a big civil suit and gets a nice settlement. how the fuck do you get off on insanity for something like this?

What if you are actually legitimately insane?

Domeskier

i'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits but i hope the snowboader hits him with a big civil suit and gets a nice settlement. how the fuck do you get off on insanity for something like this?

Sounds like the boarder wasn't really hurt, though (thankfully). Maybe he can play up the mental trauma angle. Is insanity a defense to civil liability?

mbedle

Pretty sure that would be a waste of time and money. Kind of guessing this guy is not sitting on a pile of cash, nor do I see his future potential earning being very high.

Breakout12

sunbowl at camelback today, watching my son's adaptive lesson...so many goobers, so little common sense...just about every other chair they had to stop the lift because people had literally zero idea how to unload, but good judgment be damned they are going to keep riding that lift

adults who can barely ski trying to teach crying kids how to ski..."JUST GO DOWN THE FRIGGIN HILL, VINNY!"

the undisputed highlight however was watching someone's board come off their foot while riding the lift...landed perfectly and rocketed down the hill, nailing a fallen skier in the back of the head, who, according to ski patrol was injured by the runaway board

gmcunni

the undisputed highlight however was watching someone's board come off their foot while riding the lift...landed perfectly and rocketed down the hill, nailing a fallen skier in the back of the head, who, according to ski patrol was injured by the runaway board

saw this on pres weekend too in NH. how someone loses a snowboard is beyond me. at least the guy i saw had it happen as he loaded so the they stopped the lift and gave it to the chair behind him to bring up.

Rowsdower

saw this on pres weekend too in NH. how someone loses a snowboard is beyond me. at least the guy i saw had it happen as he loaded so the they stopped the lift and gave it to the chair behind him to bring up.

There used to be things called "step in" bindings that worked much like ski bindings. It basically had the binding base and highback and you wore a special hard boot (no straps) that snapped into the binding. I haven't seen anyone with these in probably 15 years. I don't even know if they still make them outside racing.

If he had normal bindings on then... I just don't know how they could have managed that. The ratchets on their bindings straps must have been shot or something.

albert a ripper

Sometimes snowboarders will loosen then binding while on the lift to let their feet relax, kind of like skiers do with their boots. Idiots who loosen them too much.....

NYDB

There used to be things called "step in" bindings that worked much like ski bindings. It basically had the binding base and highback and you wore a special hard boot (no straps) that snapped into the binding. I haven't seen anyone with these in probably 15 years. I don't even know if they still make them outside racing.

If he had normal bindings on then... I just don't know how they could have managed that. The ratchets on their bindings straps must have been shot or something.

burton
is bringing step in or step on bindings back

BenedictGomez

sunbowl at camelback today, watching my son's adaptive lesson...so many goobers, so little common sense...just about every other chair they had to stop the lift because people had literally zero idea how to unload, but good judgment be damned they are going to keep riding that lift

adults who can barely ski trying to teach crying kids how to ski..."JUST GO DOWN THE FRIGGIN HILL, VINNY!"

The above post is like a P.S.A. for why I don't ski weekends in the Poconos. That could have been any Saturday.

The above post is like a P.S.A. for why I don't ski weekends in the Poconos. That could have been any Saturday.

honestly, other than sunbowl, it was pretty mellow...i do freak out a little about my son having his lesson there, but the instructors are great and do a great job keeping him out of harm's way