• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Other ski areas in a death spiral besides Killington?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Killington could come out looking really good in all of this. They have stated multiple times that they will stay open through April, weather permitting.

Well, if the weather permits them to make snow, they do it and they make it through the month, that's really sticking to their promises beyond what most customers would expect.

Yep.

RENO

Perfect illustration of how last minute and under conveyed this event was.

I'm glad they did it, but next year have adequate quanties (When I went through at 1pm the drinks were down to 1 choice and the dessert was all gone... no dessert is a cardinal moose sin) and think about how to best handle the volume. Add some tables out in the snow. Keep the line moving. Put it in the drift and on the website next year more than a week in advance. I skied instead of hanging around for the raffle, but I heard there was a lot of items and a lot of winners. I heard nothing but good things about the raffle.

So thanks for lunch and Joey. Next year make more dessert, and blow more snow all year long and all mountain wide to keep up with your competition. Lots of customers had to go elsewhere this spring, and that can't be a good thing. This Monday would be good practice.....

Probably weren't planning to have it yesterday, but with the horrible weather and dwindling terrain they rushed it. I'm guessing they probably were shooting for Pond skimming weekend?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is it better to let the girl from Tahoe or the guy from Utah run the show in a Northeast forum?

New or not, that guy has a point.

DHS said it nicely (thanks). Both the girl from Tahoe and the guy who is now in Utah were originally from the NE. I'm a Vermonter who just moved to Utah. And yes I have skied many times at Killington.

Gilligan

Moderating a forum is a thankless task.
Its really nice that someone who's only been around a few weeks has all this insight to "fix" the site.
:beer:

Been around a lot more than a few weeks. That date is just when I decided to start posting here.

Took a quick look at the member list. Sorted it by post count. Turns out that this being my 21st post puts me ahead of about 80% of the people registered for this forum. Yeah, it looks like 4 out of 5 people that sign up here quit before they make more than 20 posts. Why? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of all the crap new people are put through when they try to join in the conversation here. I wish more people were as welcoming as Nick.

As a response to HighwayStar's challenge, I think I will just direct him to this link. I feel the same way about your boasts as these other guys:
http://www.killingtonzone.com/forum...t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Highway Star

Been around a lot more than a few weeks. That date is just when I decided to start posting here.

Took a quick look at the member list. Sorted it by post count. Turns out that this being my 21st post puts me ahead of about 80% of the people registered for this forum. Yeah, it looks like 4 out of 5 people that sign up here quit before they make more than 20 posts. Why? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of all the crap new people are put through when they try to join in the conversation here. I wish more people were as welcoming as Nick.

As a response to HighwayStar's challenge, I think I will just direct him to this link. I feel the same way about your boasts as these other guys:
http://www.killingtonzone.com/forum...t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Seriously? Did you just discover online ski message boards like last month? That is a serious question.

Or are you some sort of k-troll?

nonono2.gif

ScottySkis

I been here 1 year and I think that is the opposite of what I seen, so many nice people on here with knowledge much more then me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So let's get back on topic, which was HS's claim that Killington is not doing well this season. Any word if they are blowing snow?

Geoff

So let's get back on topic, which was HS's claim that Killington is not doing well this season. Any word if they are blowing snow?

I haven't seen any data yet that lead me to believe that Killington didn't do well this season. The traffic counter on the Access Road run by the Vermont Dept of Transportation is only down 3% for Nov/Dec/Jan. The state hasn't put February up yet.

The Access Road retail businesses are all bitching about a lousy year but it appears that Killington was still selling a lot of day tickets.

If you assume that Killington has simply given up on the metro-Boston market and doesn't care that Boyne is making snow at Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf, pulling the plug might make the most sense. It's not like the tri-state people have any alternative. New York State is already done for the year. Anything south of Killington is done. Sugarbush has shrunk down to nothing but Steins. Stowe and Jay Peak aren't much of a threat since they're so much farther north. New Yorkers aren't going to drive to Sunday River every weekend.

I guess this is what happens when a billionaire like Ian Cumming buys a string of ski areas for his son so he can "do something" with his life. It would be awfully nice if the owner actually cared about how the business does. Instead, we get some bean counter sitting in Park City appointed by Ian Cumming to limit his son's damage calling the shots.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I haven't seen any data yet that lead me to believe that Killington didn't do well this season. The traffic counter on the Access Road run by the Vermont Dept of Transportation is only down 3% for Nov/Dec/Jan. The state hasn't put February up yet.

The Access Road retail businesses are all bitching about a lousy year but it appears that Killington was still selling a lot of day tickets.

If you assume that Killington has simply given up on the metro-Boston market and doesn't care that Boyne is making snow at Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf, pulling the plug might make the most sense. It's not like the tri-state people have any alternative. New York State is already done for the year. Anything south of Killington is done. Sugarbush has shrunk down to nothing but Steins. Stowe and Jay Peak aren't much of a threat since they're so much farther north. New Yorkers aren't going to drive to Sunday River every weekend.

I guess this is what happens when a billionaire like Ian Cumming buys a string of ski areas for his son so he can "do something" with his life. It would be awfully nice if the owner actually cared about how the business does. Instead, we get some bean counter sitting in Park City appointed by Ian Cumming to limit his son's damage calling the shots.

Wow. Only a 3% decline is really small. That is interesting.