• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Giving psswrd to get job?!

legalskier

Some employers are asking prospective job applicants for their fb passwords.
If you were applying for a job, would you cough yours up even though you set fb to private? If you're an employer, do you agree with what they're doing? Is it over the top or just a good precaution?

*** Since the rise of social networking, it has become common for managers to review publically available Facebook profiles, Twitter accounts and other sites to learn more about job candidates. But many users, especially on Facebook, have their profiles set to private, making them available only to selected people or certain networks.
Companies that don’t ask for passwords have taken other steps — such as asking applicants to friend human resource managers or to log in to a company computer during an interview. Once employed, some workers have been required to sign non-disparagement agreements that ban them from talking negatively about an employer on social media. ***

Full story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio.../20/gIQAVlNhOS_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's bizarre.I can see companies doing due diligence to check out employees and what they have shared publicly but actually logging in? It's no different than asking for your email password or to see your mail in your home.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm not giving up my passwords to anyone, nor am I logging into my account and letting someone poke around. I may consider friending a HR person or something, but I think it's going too far.

hammer

If I were asked during a job interview I'd make sure they were serious...I would then get up and politely tell the interviewer that the interview was over.

Only possible exception would be if a job required a high-level security clearance and I would only provide what was legally required for the paperwork.

I have nothing to hide online (well maybe some of my soapbox rants :oops:) but this is getting way out of hand. Companies that do this will regret it when the job market gets better and people have choices.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Very simple, say you don't have a Facebook account and then set security on yours so that only friends can see it or change your info/profile pic so there is no sure way of telling it's you.

kickstand

No freakin' way. Depending on how the market looked or how much I wanted the job, I would log in for them and let them poke around while I was there, but then I'd delete all history, cookies and temp files. If they didn't agree to that, not a place I want to work.

The guy in the picture in the article, sounds like he works for a prison and they wanted to check for any gang affiliations. Not that I agree with the whole ask for the password thing, but in that situation I get it. That falls under special security clearance, IMHO.

gmcunni

only if i was absolutely desperate for the job and after a thorough clean up.

would you really want to work for a company that demanded this?

SkiFanE

Why make it easy for them? I'd have to be desperate to not walk out of the interview. But don't have anything to hide on FB, but it's the principal.

A friend of mine was telling me how spring break is pretty much a dead thing now (don't want to debate this b/c it's middle-aged cocktail talk lol), the prevalence of cams on phones makes anything you do recordable and put on the 'net within a minute of the event. Ahhh...all those poor girls stripping for wet t-shirt contests 2 months before graduation would kiss their careers goodbye lol.

hammer

Definitely not.

I've never even accepted a friend request from work associates.
I'm fine with using LinkedIn for work stuff but Facebook is actually mostly family. Wish my daughter was a little more restrictive about who she friends but I do try to keep track of that. Watching her was why I signed up for Facebook in the first place.

SkiFanE

Definitely not.

OMG no...as much as I like my work 'buddies', gotta compartmentalize. My teen unfriended me after I put the most embarrassing comment on one of her pictures ("cute" on one of her baby photos :roll: )

kickstand

+1

I had a guy I interviewed with contact me via Facebook, said he couldn't find me on LinkedIn. I denied the request and just told him I try to keep work stuff out of Facebook. I'm not a co-worker of the guy, but he was contacting me about a job. That's why I have LinkedIn.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have quite a few friends from work on Facebook. I have them in a group called "Coworkers" and when I share something I don't want them to see, I just exclude that group.

Glenn

Some of our managers will look up people on FB. But that takes place at home since it's blocked at at work. I can't really see the need to force someone to A) Unlock their profile or B) Give out their password.

We run criminal background checks on people as part of our process.

SkiFanE

That's fine, making sure one stays within the law is one thing, seeing what they do on their free time is insane. I got checked last time, credit report even I think.

hammer

Some of our managers will look up people on FB. But that takes place at home since it's blocked at at work. I can't really see the need to force someone to A) Unlock their profile or B) Give out their password.

Sorry but if I knew managers did that I would not be happy...that's going over the line.