• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Giving psswrd to get job?!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Me. And a big part of the reason is that I saw stuff like this coming a long ways off.

Now that I think of it, probably ~50% of my friends don't either. Yes, you can have "friends" with out FB.
Yea, I know, I held out for years until I was the only one in my social circle on another platform and not on FB. I know not everyone has one, but a technically detailed response with clarifications would have been a lot harder.

Any ways, maybe you guys would lie to get a job. I wouldn't lie to get a job AND I wouldn't disclose personal information such as IDs and passwords.

Companies can and do hold applications against employees. I have enough HR background in my position to know falsifying information on a application is not a good career move...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Yea, I know, I held out for years until I was the only one in my social circle on another platform and not on FB. I know not everyone has one, but a technically detailed response with clarifications would have been a lot harder.

Any ways, maybe you guys would lie to get a job. I wouldn't lie to get a job AND I wouldn't disclose personal information such as IDs and passwords.

Companies can and do hold applications against employees. I have enough HR background in my position to know falsifying information on a application is not a good career move...

Good point riv, I've never ever seen an application that asks for your Facebook password. Wish anyone luck proving you lied on an interview.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Me. And a big part of the reason is that I saw stuff like this coming a long ways off.

my wife doesn't have one and refuses to get one. She had a myspace when we started dating, but deleted it. Now all her family are facebook friends with me and when it's her birthday or they haven't heard from her in a while, I get to play messenger as they hit up my facebook. :lol:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I try to never post anything in public that will get me into trouble with employers, family members, or "others"
Even when I went through my divorce 2 years ago, (and now) I never aired my personal baggage and have no issue with anyone seeing what's out there.

That being said, I wouldn't give up my password to anyone. Trust is an important thing.

same its really bizarre to me when people post every detail of their ups and Downs .... I post the occasional personal update but normally its about sharing things I find interesting... those things may occasionally be borderline from a political correctness viewpoint but there is nothing I have ever posted online anywhere that I wouldn't defend in real life

Trekchick

same its really bizarre to me when people post every detail of their ups and Downs .... I post the occasional personal update but normally its about sharing things I find interesting... those things may occasionally be borderline from a political correctness viewpoint but there is nothing I have ever posted online anywhere that I wouldn't defend in real life
I have unfriended people who use their Facebook feed as a personal twitter account.

I'm sorry, but I don't care if you brushed your teeth before you got your kids up for school.

Facebook is a great social media platform but it can be too much.

bvibert

Staff member

jaja111

Now that I think of it, probably ~50% of my friends don't either. Yes, you can have "friends" with out FB.

+1. I ditched fbook a few years ago. Its only going to get worse from here on out.

The sad part is that I recently made a new fbook page with as many security closures that I could have and have zero friends. Why? Some companies are now only using an fbook page instead of a website. Fbook is sadly becoming a sort of sub-internet.

Cannonball

+1. I ditched fbook a few years ago. Its only going to get worse from here on out.

The sad part is that I recently made a new fbook page with as many security closures that I could have and have zero friends. Why? Some companies are now only using an fbook page instead of a website. Fbook is sadly becoming a sort of sub-internet.

My company will NEVER do that. And there will be hell to pay if it does.

SKIQUATTRO

i only follow ski areas and groups i'm intersted in..FB became too much of a "look at my fantastic life" "look where I'm at" ..... like i reallly care...any who do you think you are to think that anyone else give a damn about what you are doing 24/7

playoutside

When I read this the other day, I thought hell no. Reality is if you are hungry or been out of work a bit, you know you would give it up and hope the work police didn't somehow become offended.

I think in modern times, you need to assume companies will at a minimum Google and FB you. Not much shows when you google me, and I'm crazy careful with permissions and content of what I post on FB. It's a slippery slope tho...what I find offensive/wrong may not be what a business does. If that were the case and it cost me a job, my arrogant self would say "I didn't want to work for people like that anyway." However, if I were hungry or facing financial hurdles, it would be completely different.

The industries I've worked in for the last 20+ years have required me to have background investigations at a minimum. Most times it's background that also includes criminal and financial screens. Clean living so far, but scary to think where I would be with a foreclosure, bankruptcy or a DUI in my past. I'm also thankful for not having access to the internet and cell phone cameras during my teens/twenties -- no need to record the worst of those years for all the world to witness! :)

gmcunni

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Potential employers can search all they want. I've never had a facebook account. Am I missing anything? I highly doubt it.

Nothing wrong with searching, Something wrong with asking you password to get access and not only see everything you posted, but PMs and everything. Little thing called invasion of privacy. Oh, silly me, I forgot, 1984 has passed and we are living it.