• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best relocation options in the west (mountain/area)?

Paul_M

Retiring is not the topic. My bad.

Working in Reno/Sparks or Carson/Garnderville is a great option. Like I said I worked there for a couple years, but couldn't quite get the break I needed to make it permanent.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The biggest down side to Denver is that tis 1+ hours away from good skiing which takes longer if you go on weekends or holiday's. The I-70 madhouse is a mess.

San Francisco or Sacremento to Tahoe is similar with the I-80 madhouse.
I like being on the other side of Tahoe in Reno(Or Carson Valley). We never have difficulty on I-80 and

I lived in Keystone for the summer of 93. Good summer to be out there as Abasin stayed open until July 4th and we were hiking for turns into mid-August. I made the commute into Denver almost weekly for entertainment and definitely understand what a $hitshow I-70 can be. I guess it would be a sacrifice I'd be willing to make as Denver's music scene (at least for the bands that I see frequently) is light years better than SLC, Tahoe, etc.

Though Tahoe would certainly have appeal for me too due to it's reasonable proximity to the ocean. The one drawback to any of the western skiing destinations over the east is how landlocked they are. I very much enjoy being 15-20 minutes from the ocean during the summer months.

Trekchick

Retiring is not the topic. My bad.

Working in Reno/Sparks or Carson/Garnderville is a great option. Like I said I worked there for a couple years, but couldn't quite get the break I needed to make it permanent.
There are jobs to be had in many avenues.

I lived in Keystone for the summer of 93. Good summer to be out there as Abasin stayed open until July 4th and we were hiking for turns into mid-August. I made the commute into Denver almost weekly for entertainment and definitely understand what a $hitshow I-70 can be. I guess it would be a sacrifice I'd be willing to make as Denver's music scene (at least for the bands that I see frequently) is light years better than SLC, Tahoe, etc.

Though Tahoe would certainly have appeal for me too due to it's reasonable proximity to the ocean. The one drawback to any of the western skiing destinations over the east is how landlocked they are. I very much enjoy being 15-20 minutes from the ocean during the summer months.
I'm not terribly into music, but one of my very good friends was a music journalist in SF for several years. Now he's a ski instructor and still does some freelance writing. According to him there are some great things in music being seeded in Reno.
I can imagine, with Reno being a gambling town, but not a gambling mecca, there is a market for good music.
Keeping in mind that I don't know much about the Denver Music scene either.

What I notice about Denver when I'm there is how bad the beer and dog food plant(s) smell when you drive through.

Great convention center though......SIA Rocks!!!

snoseek

I used to love the smell of the Coors plant!!!!!

Indeed Denver is a progressive music scene. Plus Red Rocks is an incredible place to see a show. They also have old school movie nights there.

If you're a weekend skier the I-70 cluster is VERY frustrating. They need to figure that out desperately.