• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 3/21/12

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Wednesday 3/21/12

Resort or Ski Area: Burke, VT

Conditions: Summer, Sunny, 80 base, low 70s top

Trip Report:

Got on the hill shortly before 1. All that's left is Dipper, Warrens, Bear Den, Willoughby, and upper Fox's. Unfortunately they pulled the rope on upper Fox's around 2, which also means the end of upper Warren's.
Dipper: Still in great shape except one part just after Carriage Road pops in. Groomers should be able to keep that covered for the time being, and I imagine the rest of it can make it till April 1st. Only trail I can say that about. Open Slope needs some help at the top, but is fine on the pitch. Flat at the bottom of Dipper is still fine.

Carriage Road: Actually not bad because of all the shade. A few waterbars melted out, but never had to leave the snow. Not as soft as the rest due to that shade, but at least the snow is holding in most spots.

Upper Fox's/Warrens: Upper Fox's was very interesting, most of it was about a 1-2' wide ribbon down skiers left, and in some parts even that was melted out. Had to cross grass twice. This was the only way to get to upper Warrens, and unfortunately it's all done so I think upper Warrens is done as well due to lack of connection. Warrens was pretty well covered... had to cross grass once in the middle of upper, but the rest was fine.

Shoot/Bear Den: Shoot is getting crappy in a few places, but the groomers should be able to patch it together for the weekend. Bear Den is very narrow in a couple spots, then obviously pretty well where the ice whales were (still some icy spots in fact lol).

Willoughby: A few melted out spots, but never had to leave the snow. Lower is having trouble hanging on, so don't bother with the wet muddy traverse at the bottom and just transfer back on Bear Den.

I'll be back up Friday. Kudos to Burke for staying open for the roughly 20 people that were on the hill today. No way they're firing up the Sherbie this weekend unless they really work some magic. Thanks to the cool down on its way this weekend, I'd say Dipper has a better chance than not of making it to the 31st/1st for pond skimming on Open Slope, but I think the other trails are done for by then.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Sweet Report, They must have gotten extremely creative to keep as much open as they have for so long.
How's the lift loading area holding up? I figured that would be the deal breaker for keeping the Mtn open. Are they stealing snow from High Meadows Pass?

Zand

It's a bit rocky and thin right near the lift and Zollie was digging trenches to keep the water moving. I imagine they can plow some in from High Meadows because I'd give the Sherbie a 0% chance of opening this weekend unless they can make a 300 foot path from Binney Lane and Dashney Mile up to the top of the lift. Otherwise, not too bad heading down into the field before the corner into the lift.

Top still looks good at the unload too, so if they can truck in some snow to patch up around the base of the lift then they should at least be able to have Dipper going for pond skimming.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Just got the Burke Blast Email. They are holding tough!

If you can't change it, throw a party.

Despite all of our efforts to make the season continue into April, mother nature continues to serve up consecutive days of record summertime temperatures. Unfortunately, the snow does not react well to the heat, and due to this, we plan to have a few trails from the summit this weekend. Temperatures tonight and tomorrow will determine the trail count for Saturday, so stay tuned to www.skiburke.com for updates. Trails and lifts at the Sherburne Base Lodge are closed for the season.

So we're thinking, what better time have a Hawaiian Beach Party? That's right, dig out your Hawaiian shirts, leis, grass skirts, coconut bras and join us as we embrace the sunshine. Wear your Hawaiian garb to the ticket window and it's a $25 lift ticket! Take a few runs, bask in the sun on the Mid Burke Express and then head to the Bear Den Lounge for a cold Corona, beach party music and some fun in the sun! The party continues with the Starline Rhythm Boys at 8pm, where one lucky winner will win a brand new pair of Dynastar skis!

We will shut down all operations Monday-Friday, March 26-30 with the hopes of opening one last weekend on March 31 and April 1 for skiing & riding and our annual Pond Skimming Celebration. In the event warm temperatures persist this could be our final weekend. After much consideration, we were unable to move Pond Skimming ahead to this weekend because the extreme temperatures made it impossible to form a pond with the loose snow.

Although the weather this weekend isn't really going to great for Coconut Bras :p

Zand

I saw that too... and yes it's going to be much cooler this weekend, but much more March like in the 50s lol. 288z GFS is hinting at 12-18" of snow on April Fools Day lol.

Zand

Site says they're down to Dipper, Willoughy, and Lower Warrens... probably means Upper Willoughby, then the cutover across Bear Den onto lower Warrens.