• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Will Be The King of Spring 2012

Who will be King?

• Sunday River

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Loon

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Stowe

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sugarbush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Peak

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

Cornhead

So, anybody up for a trip to Jay this weekend?

Wheels in my head are spinning, it is a haul for me. Shredder of Gnar? Want to split the gas from Albany? $25 is sweet, may even splurge for $49 ski and splash, just for the hell of it, one day anyway. Snowshoe Lodge in Jay was $30 a night last Spring.Decisions, decisions.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Out of curiosity, why is everyone equating "last to close" with "king of spring"? The two things mean something completely different to me. "Last to close" means just that. King of Spring means that an area goes late into spring and offers the best spring skiing. I don't think a "king of spring" need be the area that is last to close. King of Spring might also have something to do with the general "feel" of a ski area as a good place to hang out and enjoy a beer and burger outside, the general spring vibe of an area.

Personally, I don't think any area is King of Spring this year. Let's face it, it was a shitty spring.

Jay will absolutely be last to close, though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Out of curiosity, why is everyone equating "last to close" with "king of spring"? The two things mean something completely different to me. "Last to close" means just that. King of Spring means that an area goes late into spring and offers the best spring skiing. I don't think a "king of spring" need be the area that is last to close. King of Spring might also have something to do with the general "feel" of a ski area as a good place to hang out and enjoy a beer and burger outside, the general spring vibe of an area.

Personally, I don't think any area is King of Spring this year. Let's face it, it was a shitty spring.

I guess I see your point, but I have a hard time believing that one can be the King of Spring and not be the last one to be open. How could it be any other way?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I guess I see your point, but I have a hard time believing that one can be the King of Spring and not be the last one to be open. How could it be any other way?
I seem to remember Sugarloaf carrying this title for a long time. Were they truly the last to close every year they carried that title? MadPat probably has the data on that.

How could it be any other way? What if Jay didn't reopen this weekend? Would a ski area in PA that reopened due to a freak snow storm really be the King of Spring?

Really?

Quality of skiing matters more to me than last to stay open, give or take a week or two. Obviously, a ski area shutting down first week in April isn't very impressive. But ending a week or two before others with superior terrain speaks more to me than last to close with sub-par terrain.

This isn't pertaining specifically to this season but just saying...

2knees

I'm seriously debating it but i'm wondering about the bump situation. anyone want to venture a guess on that? I have zero experience with Jay, spring or otherwise.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I seem to remember Sugarloaf carrying this title for a long time. Were they truly the last to close every year they carried that title? MadPat probably has the data on that.

How could it be any other way? What if Jay didn't reopen this weekend? Would a ski area in PA that reopened due to a freak snow storm really be the King of Spring?

Really?

Quality of skiing matters more to me than last to stay open, give or take a week or two. Obviously, a ski area shutting down first week in April isn't very impressive. But ending a week or two before others with superior terrain speaks more to me than last to close with sub-par terrain.

This isn't pertaining specifically to this season but just saying...

FWIW the "King of Spring" and longest season titles have been synonymous for many years...with Sugarloaf indeed claiming that slogan and making an effort to have a solid spring skiing product that was the last, or one of the last, to close. When we've used it here, we've used it for longest season. I understand what you are saying about "vibe" and feel. For example, I liked spring skiing at Pats Peak with their nice decks, low elevation making the snow fast to soften, good bumps, and good vibe. But they close way before many other places. Can I honestly call them the King of Spring?

snowmonster

I'm seriously debating it but i'm wondering about the bump situation. anyone want to venture a guess on that? I have zero experience with Jay, spring or otherwise.

Last weekend, there were some bumps on skiers' right on Jet. Ventured into it for a bit but it was too frozen for me. Forecast this weekend calls for sunny between 27-43F. Could be nice spring bumps in the PM. You'll never know until you go.

Cornhead

I just booked a room. I want to be a king of spring!

How was your season? So you'll be there this weekend? I have a feeling I may be there too. We'll have to share some turns again. I met Shredder of Gnar last April at Jay too. Ran into him twice this year, once at Hunter, couple weeks ago at Killington. Shredder, do you want to ski Jay this weekend? I'll be passing through Albany.

Let's face it, it was a shitty spring.

I don't agree, I had a decent, albeit short, Spring season. With the blowtorch weather we had early, you really had to make an effort to get after it before it was gone. Will I be skiing the back side of the Loaf this April? No, but I honestly can't complain. This Spring was a lot like this season in general, I skied about half the days I normally do, but had some great days too. If I never ski another frozen granular groomer, it'll be too soon. I don't think Seven Springs is really the "King of Spring", but I do give them credit for reopening their hill.

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com

Since I've been keeping track online. Jay record hasn't been much different on closing dates as Sugarloaf.

Taken from my last post last year: Last to spin for sure : Rant and Rave : Eastern Closing 2010-2011

LISTS:

Last one to spin:
2006: Bretton Woods: May 5
2007: MSS, Sugarbush, Wildcat & Killington: May 6
2008: MSS: May 11
2009: MSS, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush & Jay Peak: May 3
2010: MSS, Sugarloaf, Jay Peak: May 2
2011 (last 3): MSS: May 22 (modified with exact date)
Jay Peak: May 15
Sugarloaf: May 9

MSS has been the last (tied or alone) since 2007.

I have to go back to original posts as I was only marking the last one in last year thread.

2007:
Jay: April 28
Sugarloaf, SRiver, Sutton, Ste-Anne: April 29
MSS, Sugarbush, Wildcat & Killington: May 6 ( 4 tied)

2008:
Jay Peak VT: May 4
Sugarbush VT: May 4
Sugarloaf ME: May 5
Mont St-Sauveur QC: May 11

Sugarloaf and Jay have closed on the same day or Loaf had a one day advantage twice in the 2007-2010 period.

Last season, Jay beat out Loaf by an extra weekend. This season? Are least one. So there hasn't been a huge difference. If we remove the one day difference, the last to spin has been since 2006:

MSS: 5 times (3 times tied)
Jay Peak: 3 times (2 tied) / US only: 5 times (3 tied) * including this season for US
Sugarloaf: 2 times (2 tied) / US only: 3 times (3 tied)
Sugarbush: 2 times (2 tied) / US only: 3 times (3 tied)
Wildcat 1 time (tied) / US only: 1 time (tied)
Killington: 1 time (tied) / US only: 1 time (tied)
Bretton Woods: 1 time / US only: 1 time (tied)

So by closing date? Jay Peak would definitely have the upper hand. BTW, Bush hasn't been in the last weekend since 2009.

General terrain and amount of days open in the Spring, I would go to Sugarloaf who are offer open weekdays.

I personally don't care for titles, I just like to shoot holes through certain arguments.:flame:

tmcc71

cornhead and all orher az'ers at jay this weekend

Good to hear from you cornhead. Ill be staying at snowshoe Friday and Saturday night. I will be tailgating both days. 2012 silver subaru impreza wagon. Jay, Burke, Sunday river, berkshire east, and kingdom trails stickers with thule roof box. Anybody feel free to stop by for a beer burger or dog. I will have non alcoholic drinks as well. I hope to see some of you there. Ill be in a brown mountain hardware jacket with black pants. Grey Oakley goggles. Tim

View attachment 5109

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does MSS blow a ton of snow, or is just the case of their geographic location? How much natural do they get each season?

WWF-VT

+1

Mountains that are still spinning lifts in April this season are limping to the finish line unlike recent years when many mountains closed in late April / early May with significant snow cover and trails open.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Does MSS blow a ton of snow, or is just the case of their geographic location? How much natural do they get each season?
1) They blow a lot of snow (and move it around), but nowhere near the ton of snow Kmart did on Superstar back in the day.
2) Geographic location - yes
3) Definitely doesn't get the natural snow that the NVT ski areas received (not in the same league) - that being said, we got a 5cm in Ottawa this week.

I don't have many pictures (early or late season).

TR from this past November:

Mont St-Sauveur : November 26, 2011 – Back to our roots and zits!!!
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2011...-november-26-2011-back-to-our-roots-and-zits/

Eastern Closing thread 2008 with a MSS pic from May 6. The weekend that Jay, Bush and Loaf ended their season. MSS managed to reopen the following weekend.

Eastern Closing dates 2007-08 – Part 11 and last!!!
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/eastern-closing-dates-2007-08-part-11/

Riverskier

"King of Spring" can mean anything you want it to mean. That said, when discussed on here it is usually regarding last to close, and therefore defined as such for the purposes of those discussions.

gmcunni

other than a freak snow storm which allowed a PA hill to reopen (and let's face it this entire season has been unusual) the one who stays open the latest is typically the one who blows the most snow/takes the best care/makes the investment allowing it to happen.

Cornhead

Good to hear from you cornhead. Ill be staying at snowshoe Friday and Saturday night. I will be tailgating both days. 2012 silver subaru impreza wagon. Jay, Burke, Sunday river, berkshire east, and kingdom trails stickers with thule roof box. Anybody feel free to stop by for a beer burger or dog. I will have non alcoholic drinks as well. I hope to see some of you there. Ill be in a brown mountain hardware jacket with black pants. Grey Oakley goggles. Tim

View attachment 5109

Ah the Snowshoe, it's where I stayed last year, five channels on the TV, perfect sound, nothing but snow on the screen. Gotta love it, $30 pn is sweet however, is that what you're paying? Maybe I should call and reserve a room, else I may be sleeping in my car again. Love the bar, I don't drink anymore, but if I did, it'd be my kind of place. Genny Cream Ale on tap! Ah memories, my buddy had an LTD woody wagon, green, I can remember having about ten cases of Cream Ale pounders tied to the roof rack, missed photo op, Grizwalds. I don't know how we didn't get pulled over with that one? Different era, man am I old.

Looking forward to skiing with you again Tim, be great to meet any other AZ'ers who'll be there. I'll stick some of the AZ stickers I got at the AZ Summit on my helmet. Oh Shredder, where are you? Do you want to go? I could sure use some help paying for gas, everything else is dirt cheap. I'll bring my grill and some Spiedies if I go. How about you Rambo? Wanna go? Weather looks great, sunny, high 40's.

Last edited:

snowmonster

^ I'm planning on being there for the day. Can't figure out though if I'll be up on Sat or Sun because of family obligations. Jay photos on Facebook are looking sweet. I wish I could hit that now!