• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Will Be The King of Spring 2012

Who will be King?

• Sunday River

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Loon

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Stowe

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sugarbush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Peak

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

JimG.

Staff member
Who knew that we raced against each other? :p The only I didn't race was in 1992 and it was raining. GPetrics was there a few of those years also.

1992: too late to register.
1993: cold, rain, SS was cut in so many pieces with a long walk in the middle. Course was set past the bottom pitch.
1997 - wife did it pregnant by a couple months.

One of those years, it was so foggy - it might have been 1996 (based on non-pics in my albums). You couldn't see nothing. I remember the starter saying to take it easy, don't go to fast (as it wasn't really groomed either).

Those years were the heyday of the triathlon too...Ski, MTB, Run.

Cornhead

I'll be on your planet Snowmonster, look for you there, can't wait. Nice to see a little refreshing going on...long live the King!

Last edited:

Cornhead

just f#$cking with ya JimG.

wind is honking with this one. maybe by the 10 opening it will have calmed down.

gonna be a pretty chilly BBQ

Just got off the phone with Jay, 8:30 opening. I sure hope the wind doesn't keep the triple from spinning.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Those years were the heyday of the triathlon too...Ski, MTB, Run.
I believe the triathlon started in the mid-1990s on Memorial Day weekend.

I started skiing K in late May 1984 and couldn't find any to share the ride and cost for June. They managed a super late June closing (not as late has June 22, 1997), the next year they just barely managed it. That was in the K Peak days.

It took a them a few season before making it to June again as they had moved Spring operations to the 'new' widen Superstar trail around 1988. 1992 was the first occasion and I've started a TR for that day almost 20 years ago. :-o

JimG.

Staff member
I believe the triathlon started in the mid-1990s on Memorial Day weekend.

I started skiing K in late May 1984 and couldn't find any to share the ride and cost for June. They managed a super late June closing (not as late has June 22, 1997), the next year they just barely managed it. That was in the K Peak days.

It took a them a few season before making it to June again as they had moved Spring operations to the 'new' widen Superstar trail around 1988. 1992 was the first occasion and I've started a TR for that day almost 20 years ago. :-o

Triathlon started early 90's I'm pretty sure...I remember the first one I was in attendance for was in 1992.

JimG.

Staff member
just f#$cking with ya JimG.

wind is honking with this one. maybe by the 10 opening it will have calmed down.

gonna be a pretty chilly BBQ

Wish I could justify to myself that I should go this weekend...7 hours each way for limited terrain and few if any bumps just doesn't add up in my mind. Even if they didn't groom the bumps would be hard as rocks.

Hopefully I can drown my sorrows with a few nice trout; gonna hit my local hotspot for some fly fishing.

snowmonster

Just got off the phone with Jay, 8:30 opening. I sure hope the wind doesn't keep the triple from spinning.

Huh? Saw this too on the FIS Facebook page. Just two minutes ago they said this: "‎10 am. You were right! New post coming up soon this one to be deleted. "

Which one is which? Big difference between starting the drive at 6 am or 4 am.

Cornhead

Huh? Saw this too on the FIS Facebook page. Just two minutes ago they said this: "‎10 am. You were right! New post coming up soon this one to be deleted. "

Which one is which? Big difference between starting the drive at 6 am or 4 am.
Exactly, just hope it's not too windy. The lady I spoke to didn't seem too sure of herself on the 8:30 start time, keep us posted.

kingdom-tele

Wish I could justify to myself that I should go this weekend...7 hours each way for limited terrain and few if any bumps just doesn't add up in my mind. Even if they didn't groom the bumps would be hard as rocks.

Hopefully I can drown my sorrows with a few nice trout; gonna hit my local hotspot for some fly fishing.

I haven't driven 7 hours to ski ever. (well, except for a long detour in the eastern townships one night, apparently kokanee boxes don't come with maps)

Enjoy the stream.

just get there at 8:30 - worst case scenario your skinning for turns.

bundle up. not to be your average spring ski day