• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Will Be The King of Spring 2012

Who will be King?

• Sunday River

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Loon

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Stowe

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sugarbush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Peak

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

snowmonster

Have some fun in the snow.

Thanks, man. It's always fun in the snow!
Exactly, just hope it's not too windy. The lady I spoke to didn't seem too sure of herself on the 8:30 start time, keep us posted.

Looks like it's at 10. I can never make an 830 opening unless I leave right after dinner and sleep in the parking lot.
bundle up. not to be your average spring ski day

I made this mistake last week. I thought it would be a spring-y day last Sunday and just wore a shell. FOr baselayers, I had a thin shirt and boxer shorts. I basically froze my butt off and my back kept sticking to the chair because of my freezing sweat. Never again.

Cornhead

Snowmonster, you are correct, 10:00, just called back again to confirm. That's O.K. by me, now I can leave the house at a somewhat reasonable hour. Just booked a room at the Snowshoe, $30, how sweet is that? I'll have to check out the water park some other time. See you on the hill.

Cornhead

Cornhead, see ya! I'll look for your Tigersbarks if you if you loom for my Squads.

Nick, will do. Don't be surprised though if we get a blizzard next week. It's that kind of season!
I'm not so sure I want to "loom for your Squads".:-o
I'm sure we'll hook up, just stuck the AZ stickers on my helmet. You feel handicapped trying to peel the stickers from their backing, nice stickers Nick.;) The small round ones make halfway decent guitar picks, till they soften up. Got the big one on the back, it's pretty legible. The small ones on the side, not so much. I'm sure I'll recognize tmcc71, Tim, if I see him.

Yeah, watch it snow next week, I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not getting to Killington after their dump. I've had a pretty decent Spring, Greek, Elk, Platty, Saddleback, Sugarloaf, Killington, Wildcat, now Jay. Last year's Spring was epic for me, the back side of the Loaf was open this time last year, it was insane. Wildcat got six inches the day before they closed. I skied Mt. Washington for the first time on Memorial Day Weekend. I may be tempted to at least try for some Auto Road accessed skiing after this weekend, not sure yet.

Got all my supplies, booked a room at the Snowshoe. Hey Tim, they do have wifi, I asked. Thinking I should leave no later than 4 am. Mapquest says six and a half hours. I should be able to delete some of that time, at the expense of mpg's, thanks Beltronics. :lol:

Looks like it should be pretty decent. Couple inches of fresh wet snow couldn't hurt.
532994_10150794168194441_19659899440_9398540_1023951348_n.jpg

Last edited:

snowmonster

Cornhead, sorry I missed you, man. I was looking for Tigersharks. Didn't see any. Hope you had a great time. Skiing today was awesome!

BTW, Jay cannot be the King of Spring...because its full on winter here. Bundle up if you go!

Cornhead

Snowmonster, sorry I missed you. I couldn't find tmcc71 till near the end of the day either, he was on his way to the water park. Found his car pretty easily, it was right at the end of the road up to the lift.

Yes, it was chilly, things did get a bit scraped off by the end of the day, but hey, we were skiing! Having a great breakfast at Bernie's as I type, then back to Jay for more turns.

What an awesome day to close out this otherwise sub par season. Skied bell to bell with tmcc71, we had a stellar day all around, sun, food, and great skiing. Kudos to tmmc71, it was his 130+ day on snow this year! And I thought I was a fanatic. This is my second year in a row ending my lift serviced season sharing turns with Tim, we had a blast. Three more hours of driving till I'm home, I'm at the Mc Donalds in Rutland, TR to follow.

Last edited:

Zand

So no lift wind hold problems at Jay on the last day?The way the wind was blowing around here I thought it might be an issue.

Wind was pretty strong but not bad enough to shut the lift. Flyer may have been another story but Jet is usually the most sheltered one anyway.

Cornhead

Canada doesn't count...:p
How far is Canada from Jay? I know it's close, my next exit on rt87 in NY was Canada. I'm almost relieved you now need a passport, else I might be tempted to hit the road yet again. At least someone made it into May. Prime Minister of Spring? The terrorist may have saved me a bundle. Just checked Mapquest, same distance as Jay to me, 360 miles. Some day I'll venture to Canada for turns, eh. :wink:

How far is Canada from Jay? I know it's close, my next exit on rt87 in NY was Canada. I'm almost relieved you now need a passport, else I might be tempted to hit the road yet again. At least someone made it into May. Prime Minister of Spring? The terrorist may have saved me a bundle. Just checked Mapquest, same distance as Jay to me, 360 miles. Some day I'll venture to Canada for turns, eh. :wink:

The mountain is about 3 miles from the Canadian border. The town of Jay litterally borders Canada.

Last time I was at Jay Peak I later received a bill from my then cell phone provider, Sprint, claiming I made international calls from Canada while I was skiing. So another answer would be - close enough to reach a Canadian cell tower! (I was able to argue and get the international rates removed.)

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Last time I was at Jay Peak I later received a bill from my then cell phone provider, Sprint, claiming I made international calls from Canada while I was skiing. So another answer would be - close enough to reach a Canadian cell tower! (I was able to argue and get the international rates removed.)

Moral of the story:

Don't make calls when you're skiing and leave that damn thing alone. :smash:

I wouldn't bother leaving from the state to ski Mt St-Sauveur unless you're already there on close by. Many places in Canada are worth a visit, MSS isn't worth the drive.

BTW, if it wouldn't for Mont St-Sauveur, Jay Peak wouldn't be King of Spring. MSS owned Jay for maybe 25 years and during that time, they never pushed the late season envelope probably because they knew that they add 2 hills compete against each other for the Montreal late season skiers. So give a thanks to MSS for selling Jay a few year ago. :spread:

Cornhead

^
Most sane people would say driving 700 miles round trip to ski two trails at Jay is crazy...wow, it even seems crazy to me when I actually type it out, it was fun though. It's a shame gas prices have skyrocketed, I like to drive, traveling to ski, especially to places I've never been, is a big part of what got me hooked on skiing. What Spring skiing lacks in terrain is made up for in lower prices, and usually nicer weather. Other than gas, it cost me $80 for two days of skiing and one night's lodging, that's tough to beat.

I'll have to plan a mid season Canadian trip sometime. I must admit I have a hard time keeping all the French names straight, a little research would help, I'm sure. Ski The Moguls, maybe I should check my records, I did make a few calls from Jay, I had no service in Montgomery, Verizon. I do remember people suggesting exchanging US currency for Canadian prior to skiing Jay when the exchange rate was thirty percent, Jay took Canadian money on par with the US dollar. Didn't they start asking for proof of Canadian residencey in order to accept the currency on par? Now the point is moot.