• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Will Be The King of Spring 2012

Who will be King?

• Sunday River

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Loon

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Stowe

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sugarbush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Peak

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
^ Planning on Jay if they open. MSS? They shoot my kind while crossing borders.;)

It depends of a number of factors:

Based on the terrain that should be available.

If I would be on the South Shore of Montreal, I would definitely go to Jay. In the city, MSS or Jay would be a toss up. North shore, it would be MSS.

That being said, my Edelweiss (owned by MSSI) allowed me to ski free at MSS when Edelweiss is closed. I did it only 2-3 times in the last few years, so it should tell you something about my preference (but I'm not your average skier). It also depends of the time I have. Ottawa is also an extra 2 hours from Montreal.

I would be able to make MSS in 2:15hours and ski free on 2 runs for 210 meters. Jay and Jet is maybe double in size, but also 3:45 away and not free not me.

Regardless, I'm planning to ski in May, lift or no lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Jay reopens, they win. Right now, I'd call it a tie between them and Killington. I don't really consider K being open an hour later than Jay worth bragging about.

To me, "King of Spring" is the last resort that spins the lifts for a day, even if they reduce operations midweek.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It'll be Silver Springs PA: http://www.7springs.com/page/category.detail/nav/5022/Snow-Report.html

The End Is Near!

file.php

SIKSKIER

Seven Springs

Monday's foot of snow in the Laurel Highlands has led to the reopening of Seven Springs Mountain Resort's skiing and snowboarding.

Skiing and snowboarding will begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday for a special one day only, thanks to the record snowfall. Seven Springs Mountain Resort said is the latest in the season that the resort has ever been open for winter sports. The previous latest end to a season was April 14, 1996. This year's ski season ended March 18.

Spokeswoman Anna Weltz said that the decision was made at 2 p.m. Monday to reopen the mountain, after seeing how much snow had fallen. It totaled about 11 inches.

"We knew the snow was coming, but we weren't expecting the accumulations that we got," Weltz said Monday afternoon. "As the day progressed, it got snowier and snowier."

There was staff on hand working to prepare the mountain for the off-season and cleaning and storing equipment. Seven Springs management asked them if they wanted to see if one slope could be reopened for one day only. A groomer went over the mountain and sustained the snow, Weltz said.

"The whole team is just excited and fired up to do this," she said.

One slope, Wagner slope, and the Cortina chairlift will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It will close for the season, for real this time, after Tuesday.

The expected snow never arrived in the immediate Pittsburgh region, but that wasn't the case outside the region. The winter storm warning for up to 6 inches to 10 inches of heavy, wet snow remained in effect until early Tuesday for the ridges in Westmoreland and Fayette counties.

"While we were not expecting the amount of snowfall that we received, our team did an outstanding job to allow us to be the only resort to re-open on the East Coast," Seven Springs CEO Eric Mauck said in a statement Monday afternoon.

jimmywilson69

I learned to ski at 7 springs and it's a pretty decent mountain that gets some great lake effect snow.

However, I don't think they can be considered "king of spring". They have been closed for about a month.

IMO, king os spring is about who offered the most spring skiing, ie open latest. this in my opinion is completely different than "longest season champion" which would be most ski days open.

Kudo's to them for opening. My buddy sent me pictures last night of a bunch of guys skining the northface and getting after it. I would've loved to join them, but I was out of hte office all last week and I am buried in work :???::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Cornhead

Seven Springs Mountain Resort, probably just reopen one or two days, kudos for doing so.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Killington is closed and Jay just announced they are reopening this weekend. Jay is the winner. :beer:

snowmonster

Id be cursious as to how much ncp Jay received the past couple of days. If it's a lot, reopening may not be an option.
Curious too. Last weekend, the rain turned to snow at some point for a nice coating. The same may have happened this week.
Killington is closed and Jay just announced they are reopening this weekend. Jay is the winner. :beer:

The latest Jay details, if you like, are on http://skitheeast.net..

http://bit.ly/JDjjHj

I had no doubt about this. Now, all they need are skiers to ride those lifts. All hail the King of Spring!

Riverskier

Congrats to Jay! This is the second year in a row by a decisive margin. They are officially the new King, and I think Sugaloaf needs to surrender the trademark.