• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Will Be The King of Spring 2012

Who will be King?

• Sunday River

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Loon

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Stowe

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sugarbush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Peak

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

Zand

Jay peak. April blizzard and below normal temps will carry them to may 1 or so. You heard it here

thetrailboss

Staff member
I really think that Sugarloaf is going to pull it off. Good location (far north), events planned, money budgeted for a longer season, and Boyne has been consistent in keeping Sugarloaf open late. As we saw, the GM came out and said "come hell or high water, we are staying open." IIRC they are getting the snowguns out. That's commitment.

As to the others, well, Sugarbush is down to Valley House Double, Stein's and Coffee Run. They are not blowing anymore snow. They are pretty much done, especially if it warms up once more. Pretty disappointing, but nothing could be done to deal with this terrible hot spell.

Stowe: IIRC they said next week is it.

Loon: we heard Easter.

JPR: they will go head-to-head with Sugarloaf.

Killington: the wildcard in my mind. If they blow snow, then that may just show that things have changed.

jerryg

I would usually agree with you on SL, on any given year, but with the SuperQuad down for the season, it really hurts their chances. The snowmaking plans during the season usually have them piling snow on Skidder, Kings Landing, Hayburner, and Candyslide, so they can run one lift (The SuperQuad) to access all the terrain. While the past couple of years have seen Spillway in use till the end, that has been because of lots of natural snow up high, and that's not the case this year. Double Runner to Skyline is very doable if there's enough snow to bridge the gap between the top of Skyline and the top of the SQ, but if the rumors about the SQ needing a complete overhaul are true, I can't see it happening. Not to mention that it's been rumored that due to less than usual skier visits, SL is operating at a 1.5 million dollar loss this year.

I hope I'm wrong on all fronts...

I really think that Sugarloaf is going to pull it off. Good location (far north), events planned, money budgeted for a longer season, and Boyne has been consistent in keeping Sugarloaf open late. As we saw, the GM came out and said "come hell or high water, we are staying open." IIRC they are getting the snowguns out. That's commitment.

As to the others, well, Sugarbush is down to Valley House Double, Stein's and Coffee Run. They are not blowing anymore snow. They are pretty much done, especially if it warms up once more. Pretty disappointing, but nothing could be done to deal with this terrible hot spell.

Stowe: IIRC they said next week is it.

Loon: we heard Easter.

JPR: they will go head-to-head with Sugarloaf.

Killington: the wildcard in my mind. If they blow snow, then that may just show that things have changed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would usually agree with you on SL, on any given year, but with the SuperQuad down for the season, it really hurts their chances. The snowmaking plans during the season usually have them piling snow on Skidder, Kings Landing, Hayburner, and Candyslide, so they can run one lift (The SuperQuad) to access all the terrain. While the past couple of years have seen Spillway in use till the end, that has been because of lots of natural snow up high, and that's not the case this year. Double Runner to Skyline is very doable if there's enough snow to bridge the gap between the top of Skyline and the top of the SQ, but if the rumors about the SQ needing a complete overhaul are true, I can't see it happening. Not to mention that it's been rumored that due to less than usual skier visits, SL is operating at a 1.5 million dollar loss this year.

Wow Jerry. What is wrong with the SuperQuad? Didn't they just rehaul most of it?

WoodCore

Not sure what your talking about, Super Quad is expected to run today. :???:

gmcunni

as of this morning -

Jay Peak, VT - 19 of 76 trails
Killington, VT - 5 of 140 trails
Loon Mountain, NH - 25 of 61 trails
Saddleback ,ME - 17 of 66 trails
Stowe, VT - 28 of 116 trails
Sugarbush, VT - 2 of 111 trails
Sugarloaf, ME - 19 of 153 Trails
Sunday River, ME - 57 of 132 trails
watervill valley, NH - 5 of 52 trails

soposkier

Where did you hear that SuperQuad rumor? Not that I would doubt it considering it had its issues and seemed to be running on diesel a fair amount, but like someone else said, it is scheduled to run.

gmcunni

Sugarloaf Mountain
‎26 degrees at the base and falling with strong wind gusts. Oh, and the snow guns are getting put into place. Talk about a snow-blasting good time!

xwhaler

Saddleback may surprise some folks here...I would be surprised if they are the last to close but I think they could go head to head with some of the bigger boys here.

Riverskier

The Super Quad at SL is running today, so obviously not done for the season.

Sunday River actually has a lot of snow left after last week's melt. Combine that with a few days of snowmaking, and I think they should be able to make it until the season passholder bbq on 4/15. That is the last Winter event on their calendar, and I am not sure they would push beyond that regardless of cover, but given the weather this year, 4/15 is pretty impressive.

jerryg

Sorry, folks, I had heard from a few people, on Saturday, that the SQ needed a complete overhaul. Apparently they were wrong, or it does, but can still run.
Notice I added the caveat, at the end, that I hoped I was wrong. Well, I'm glad I am. :)