• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington = EPIC FAIL. Late March 2012 no snowmaking edition.

Highway Star

So, it seems that Loon (really, Loon?), Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Jay Peak, and Wildcat can all make snow, RIGHT NOW.

shortski said:
At Sunday River
Sunday_River_Snowmaking.sized.jpg

And Jay:
Jay_Snowmaking_Small.sized.jpg

And Loon
Loon_Snowmaking_Medium.sized.jpg

Snowmaking in late March? Yup, you heard that right! A big cool down is headed our way today, and as soon as we get temps, we'll be firing up the snowguns on 6 trails for a good 24 hour run! You'll find the most spring snow & terrain available in NH at Loon Mountain! Spring lift ticket rates are now in effect (see rates/buy online tab). For today, we plan to have 25 trails, 177 acres and over 12 miles of skiing and riding for all abilities with 5 lifts turning from 9am-4pm
I guess talk is cheaper than blowing snow, Beast my ass.

But Killington, the mighty Beast of the East, King of Spring, is down to 5 trails, one lift, and can't even muster some snowmaking on Superstar to allow them to stay open a couple more weekends? At this rate, the'll be lucky to make it to easter (April 8th).

This is after blowing most of their pathetic snowmaking budget on Bear / dew tour, failing to make snow on many expert trails, and skimping on middle superstar which is clearly going to melt out.

This is what I think of Killington's management and strategy.

:puke:

Good luck with your pass sales and overpriced village real estate.

WWF-VT

Why another thread to complain about snow making at Killington ? Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Jay Peak, and Wildcat passholders should be complaining that they didn't get a FREE lunch on Saturday.

legalskier

Note to Mods:

Please change this thread's title to Props to SR, SL, Jay, Loon & Wildcat for late season snowmaking!

Let's accentuate the positive for a refreshing change.

skiersleft

Please merge this thread with the other one in which HS complains about Killington. Or the other one. As I've heard mods say, there's no need to have several threads dissing Killington at the same time. Keeping all the dissing in one thread makes reading this blog a better experience for the rest of us.

Highway Star

This is it's own thread about it's own topic - that Killington did not make snow when they should have.

I know I've said this before, but at some point doesn't it become more of a PR or Marketing expense to blow a little snow as opposed to an Operational expense? Absolute props to those ski areas that are blowing snow. Killington is not looking good. Have you seen their Facebook page? And those are just the posts they have not deleted yet!

SkiFanE

I know I've said this before, but at some point doesn't it become more of a PR or Marketing expense to blow a little snow as opposed to an Operational expense? Absolute props to those ski areas that are blowing snow. Killington is not looking good. Have you seen their Facebook page? And those are just the posts they have not deleted yet!

Yes, completely. My hubby rode a lift with a SR marketing head and this is what he was told, at least for their early October type of snowmaking. Suspect it's similar for this late year snowmaking. Also...SR still has great coverage on many trails, just need some help with connectors, lift areas, a few bald spots, etc...they probably don't have to do tons of snowblowing to keep the place going. Also have some huge jumps and the half pipe to farm if needed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Killington's response on Facebook:

We won’t be making any additional snow during what appears to be a brief snowmaking window this week. We have made a lot of snow in the Superstar area and that snow is holding up well considering the week of record temps we just had. We plan to maintain that snow the best we can and keep the lift spinning through April or as long as Mother Nature allows.

skiadikt

Yes, completely. My hubby rode a lift with a SR marketing head and this is what he was told, at least for their early October type of snowmaking. Suspect it's similar for this late year snowmaking. Also...SR still has great coverage on many trails, just need some help with connectors, lift areas, a few bald spots, etc...they probably don't have to do tons of snowblowing to keep the place going. Also have some huge jumps and the half pipe to farm if needed.

plus most of those areas picked up the brits that k lost, so suddenly they're flushed with $$$ that was supposed to go to k. and yeah with next season's passes currently on sale it's a great way to showcase those areas. i try not agree with hs, but fail all around for k.

drjeff

And even with this, the vast majority of K regulars here on AZ will still be at K next year B$ching about the same basic things they always seem to. If you're that pissed off about what K is TODAY, then leave and take your business someplace else. Otherwise get used to the fact the Pres Smith is NEVER coming back, Superstar will more than likely NEVER have 30 feet or so of base on it again and that your season now is 6 to 7 months instead of 9 months. Some of you are really starting to sound likely a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats who need a nap!

K is a great mountain, unlike any in the East for what it offers in terms of variety. But things change over time, that's just life. If you can't change it back, then you might as well reasses if you really wan to be at a place that more and more seems to make so many of you miserable more than it makes you happy

hammer

And even with this, the vast majority of K regulars here on AZ will still be at K next year B$ching about the same basic things they always seem to. If you're that pissed off about what K is TODAY, then leave and take your business someplace else. Otherwise get used to the fact the Pres Smith is NEVER coming back, Superstar will more than likely NEVER have 30 feet or so of base on it again and that your season now is 6 to 7 months instead of 9 months. Some of you are really starting to sound likely a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats who need a nap!

K is a great mountain, unlike any in the East for what it offers in terms of variety. But things change over time, that's just life. If you can't change it back, then you might as well reasses if you really wan to be at a place that more and more seems to make so many of you miserable more than it makes you happy

I don't understand these endless threads picking on a ski area either. If you don't like going there or don't like how they conduct business, make a few complaints and then go somewhere else. It's not like we don't have any other ski areas to go to here in NE.

Highway Star

..... your season now is 6 to 7 months instead of 9 months. Some of you are really starting to sound likely a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats who need a nap!

Actually, the season was never nine months, more like 8ish. It has been a consistant 5-1/2 months over the last few years. I would be satisfied with a 200 day season, from late october to the 2nd weekend in May.

And......I may buy a $729 blackout pass, but I'll ski 50+ days on it and not spend any other money with Killington resort or businesses they own.

SkiFanE

To defend some of the K bashers, I can see their point. We bought off-mountain at SR in the ASC days. Love SR, but there were also non-ski related reasons why we chose to buy at SR (or else we'd be at Stowe lol). So when ASC sold to Boyne we had to hold our breath, really had no clue what we were in for. So if they took the Powdr route and disappointed us, I'd definately be in the whiner camp. We plan to keep our place for a looooooong time, so if I had to deal with what the K regulars have to deal with, I'd be majorly pissed about Powdr fucking up my lifetime plans lol. Skied K last year and had a great time, but glad I'm at a place that thinks and acts like a ski fanatic. SO thankful for Boyne.

vdk03

Actually, the season was never nine months, more like 8ish. It has been a consistant 5-1/2 months over the last few years. I would be satisfied with a 200 day season, from late october to the 2nd weekend in May.

And......I may buy a $729 blackout pass, but I'll ski 50+ days on it and not spend any other money with Killington resort or businesses they own.

Why even buy the blackout pass if your so dissatisfied with what you've been getting as a customer there? Do you consitinly buy other products that you feel fail this often?
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Gilligan

I don't understand these endless threads picking on a ski area either. If you don't like going there or don't like how they conduct business, make a few complaints and then go somewhere else. It's not like we don't have any other ski areas to go to here in NE.

The threads are only "endless" because of one person's excessive posts on the topic. It is not fair to blame all Killington regulars for HS's posts.

hammer

To defend some of the K bashers, I can see their point. We bought off-mountain at SR in the ASC days. Love SR, but there were also non-ski related reasons why we chose to buy at SR (or else we'd be at Stowe lol). So when ASC sold to Boyne we had to hold our breath, really had no clue what we were in for. So if they took the Powdr route and disappointed us, I'd definately be in the whiner camp. We plan to keep our place for a looooooong time, so if I had to deal with what the K regulars have to deal with, I'd be majorly pissed about Powdr fucking up my lifetime plans lol. Skied K last year and had a great time, but glad I'm at a place that thinks and acts like a ski fanatic. SO thankful for Boyne.
If a K basher has property in the area and feels that their investment is threatened by bad management at a ski area then I'd say they have a right to complain. Not sure that applies in this case.

The threads are only "endless" because of one person's excessive posts on the topic. It is not fair to blame all Killington regulars for HS's posts.
I'm aware that one person appears to be responsible and never blamed all Killington regulars.

Highway Star

Why don't you head on over to K-zone and share your views? I'm sure you will be well received!

Gilligan

HighwayStar, the most recent of those threads you are using as examples is already 2 months old. Two of those threads are from last season. If that is the best you can do then you just proved my point.

I also like the way you respond to my complaint about excessive posting by adding two more posts on the subject. Good job!

With regards to Kzone, of course there is a lot of complaining there. It is KillingtonZone after all. That is where most of your complaining belongs. When you do so much of it here it just make us all look bad.

Geoff

OK. Put your money where your mouth is. Buy my condo at the price it would command if Killington still received 1,000,000 skier visits and had a 7 month season. I'll happily change mountains.