• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help Me Decide

The kids have off and we are heading north. It seems that despite the hype, SR does not have many blacks left open. Stowe and Killington look like the best for bumps. What about Jay or Loon?

skiadikt

Not about cheap, plenty everywhere. We want bumps.

they did groom supe today and i expect that they will as long as it stays cool. there are bumps lower on both sides. lower skye lark was closed since they didn't groom it. don't know if that's enough for you.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Given the current weather, I really don't anticipate decent bumps anywhere in New England this weekend.

Did Sugarbush groom Steins?

I can tell you right now by looking at what Stowe has open, you won't find any bumps there at all. None of the trails they have open have decent bumps anytime during the season outside of on powder days.

Hawkshot99

I can tell you right now by looking at what Stowe has open, you won't find any bumps there at all. None of the trails they have open have decent bumps anytime during the season outside of on powder days.

I skied Stowe on Thurs. and they had some pretty good bumps as far as I am concerned. Almost every open trail was complete bumps. I had never been there before, so I really dont know trail names.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I skied Stowe on Thurs. and they had some pretty good bumps as far as I am concerned. Almost every open trail was complete bumps. I had never been there before, so I really dont know trail names.

I'm assuming it was at least 60 degrees there last Thursday? At that temp, yes, there are good bumps all over Stowe, but that's the case pretty much everywhere in that kind of weather when it's too warm to groom anything.

Everything open now has been groomed in the past 24 hours and it's not warm enough for a corn cycle and bumps to form. If they get some fresh, maybe they leave a couple trails ungroomed and there will be bumps, but I wouldn't count on it.

Not sure if Jay has groomed Jet or Haynes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
foot in mouth, I did say none of their current trail line up has good bumps anytime during the season. Powder days and 60 degree spring days would be the exception.

Sat, Sunday and Monday show highs in the 40's and 50's that seems warm enough to me to create some bumps. There are some trails Stowe has not groomed all year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm just going off of what they have listed open on their snow report and my experience being a former resident in town. Most everything that is still open is cruising terrain and has been recently groomed, including Nosedive two days ago.

They have several closed trails listed with a "mogul" icon next to them. I'm not sure if that means they are closed because they're frozen over and will reopen when they soften. If Hayride, Upper Liftline etc. open for the weekend, it maybe good, but I think a lot of that depends on how much natural they get this week.

wtcobb

I hiked Mt. Mansfield on Saturday and came down on Stowe's Perry Merrill. Jogging down the side of the trail, it was half mud with very few bumps. There were some skiers but it didn't look worth it. I had a better time sliding down from the peak on my boots.

They've gotten an inch or two over the past couple days and done some grooming, but it was pretty rough there. From what I hear Loon is still blowing all week.

NotEasyBeingGreen

I'm also tossing the coin between Jay and Loon right now. Leaning to Jay, just because I sense they have a better chance at some natural to mix in with the snow guns. I wouldn't spend the premium money on Stowe - I just can't imagine they have anything left worth the gamble.

2sons

2 inches last night, fresh tracks on the webcam. Centerline and Gulch opened and I'm hoping they drop the ropes on Liftline for the weekend.:smile:

Shredder of Gnar

The kids have off and we are heading north. It seems that despite the hype, SR does not have many blacks left open. Stowe and Killington look like the best for bumps. What about Jay or Loon?

Where did you end up going?

We stayed at Killington. Snowed both days, but warm enough to get the bumps going as well. Looked sunny to the north Saturday,

Hoping for some sun tomorrow on more day.