• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tent suggestions?

wtcobb

Looking to gear up for the season and I'm in search of a good tent. I'd like something suitable for two people (I'm 5'6" and don't cuddle wildebeests, so I don't need a massive 2-person) for three season use, though I'm not opposed to four if the price is right - I just won't use it much in winter and don't want to pay the extra cost.

Freestanding with a decent vestibule preferred. Fast pitch would be cool but not necessary. Weight isn't too much of a concern from what I've seen - I'm not a gram counter and I won't be packing for hell and high water.

I'm not looking to break the bank, but anything in the $150 - $200 range seems reasonable.

Any suggestions?

BMac

Website
apod.nasa.gov
I'd suggest looking at a hammock. I gave up tents 3 years ago and will never go back. I'm currently in a Warbonnet Blackbird which is great, but I've also had good luck with Hennessey hammocks.

skibum9995

In that price range, I'd recommend the LL Bean Microlight. I have the non freestanding version from 5 or so years ago and found it to be a great tent. The downside for me was the weight at about 2.5lbs, but it doesn't look like that is a concern to you.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Two tents that are in the price range are Kelty Salida 2 which is also sub 4lbs and in $160 range. For $20-30 or so more is the REI Half Dome 2 at about 5 lbs and I think that one has two vestibules and doors. Both killer values and freestanding for two people and both are Editor Choice winners in Backpacker the past few years. I do a lot of backpacking and I would buy the Kelty myself for the weight and price, usually something with that weight is much more.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I had just seem some Kelty's on sale last week, damn I wish I remember where that was. I'll see if I can dig it out.