Man lost in crevasse at Tuckermans - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be back. David, what's up with T4T's "Slackfest" this year? Seeing as there was barely any snow up top last year, I imagine less/none this, no? They did get a foot or so last week. I had a great time there and at Tux last year. I don't remember being as tired as I was, after hiking and skiing Tux, in a long time. Sure felt the forty pounds on my back. Would be sure to bring adjustable poles next time also, and wear my friggin sun block at all times. I left it in my car when I skied the snowfields, and was too lazy to hike back up for it, I got fried.

I was planning on skiing Killington and Jay this weekend to end my lift served season. I was considerng Mt. Washington again on Memorial Day Weekend, but it might not be worth it. I would enjoy just hiking the area however.

Anybody that has even a little experience in Tux should know that the worst place to hang out when there is icefall danger is Lunch Rocks.You should always check the Avi Center report before heading in anyway and if you did they report it loud and clear.
    SIKSKIER

The rocks did not appear there by themselves. Gravity helped. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Puck it; Apr 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM.

Mr. Priebatsch's body has been recovered. RIP and condolences again to friends and family:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...gton_crevasse/

Body recovered from Mount Washington crevasse

May 21, 2012

PINKHAM NOTCH, N.H.—The body of a Massachusetts hiker has been recovered from a Mount Washington crevasse.

Sixty-seven-year-old Norman Priebatsch (PREE'-batch) of Boston lost his footing and fell hundreds of feet into the crevasse while hiking with his son at Tuckerman Ravine on April 1.

A ranger had been lowered into the crevasse after Priebatsch fell but could not see or hear him. Officials determined he couldn't have survived the fall.

The search was suspended after conditions on Mount Washington became too treacherous.

On Sunday, officials determined that a tunnel leading to the crevasse had melted enough for searchers to enter it. They recovered the body in about two hours.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Wow, that was around 7 weeks.

Any rescue crews around when you were there Snowmonster? Did it freak you out at all? I probably would have been a little unnerved.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Wow, that was around 7 weeks.

Any rescue crews around when you were there Snowmonster? Did it freak you out at all? I probably would have been a little unnerved.
    Me too, it was a little eerie when I was there last May, only one other person in the bowl, blocks of ice tumbling by, water and corn snow sloughing off in mini avalanches with my every move. It would have been really freaky if I knew there was a body somewhere beneath me. Glad for the family he has finally been recovered, I was wondering if the critters would find him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This happened a day before I got there so I didn't see anything. Actually, I only found out about the recovery this morning on NPR. I'd like to think that I don't freak out. However, I'm pretty sure that it would be unnerving to be climbing around knowing there was a recovery misison going on..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Me too, it was a little eerie when I was there last May, only one other person in the bowl, blocks of ice tumbling by, water and corn snow sloughing off in mini avalanches with my every move. It would have been really freaky if I knew there was a body somewhere beneath me. Glad for the family he has finally been recovered, I was wondering if the critters would find him first.

Tux in the fog is a very eerie place. I was up there at this time last year and you could not see 20 feet in front of you. I could hear ice crashing down and every now and then, an ice boulder would scoot past me. I got out of there as soon as I could. This year, avoided going to Right Gully and Sluice partly because of the thought that Mr. Priebatsch was still somewhere down there. It would feel like walking on someone's tomb.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Finally, closure for the family. RIP

Yep, good for closure-thing. Once you've been around big mountains out in wilderness for a time, regardless of season, you realize that you're not totally in control...no matter how well you prepare... As said often, the Presidentials..by their closeness to the local Starbucks, aren't taken very seriously... Victims of the terrain don't get swept up by the morning roadkill crew till motha' nature decides....
    SteveD

Long history of death.. worth reading
    http://www.amazon.com/Not-Without-Pe...cm_rdp_product

Thread Information