Access the AlpineZone Forums from Facebook! - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Question: if I post on the AZ forum, does my post also show up on FB?

If so, that's a huge deal breaker for me.

You have the choice; I think there is a checkbox when you post that asks if you want it to share on your wall or not. I agree that woudl be annoying, sometimes you want to keep things a little separated
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Well I don't have a FB page so there is no wall to post on. What if you quote one of my posts, reply to it, then check that box to also post on your FB wall. Will your FB wall include my quoted post? Because that wouldn't be cool in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You have the choice; I think there is a checkbox when you post that asks if you want it to share on your wall or not. I agree that woudl be annoying, sometimes you want to keep things a little separated
    But what if I choose not to share my post and you quote it and you have no problem posting on FB?

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    But what if I choose not to share my post and you quote it and you have no problem posting on FB?
    I think it just shares your post and potentially a link to the forums. It wouldn't share your real name, just the same one that appear here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think it just shares your post and potentially a link to the forums. It wouldn't share your real name, just the same one that appear here.

It doesn't matter what name it shows up under. If I choose to post something on AZ no one has the right to put that post up on FB regardless of weather it shows up with my AZ user name or real name. I have gone out of my way to stay off FB and I intent to keep it that way. I guess this just means little to no posting on AZ anymore.

This FB add on might be a cool little feature to some, but it seems to cross the line in my book and I have a feeling other will think the same way.

Threads from AlpineZone get shared frequently on Twitter, Google+ and FB.... same basic concept, a link to here where they can view the thread and yeah, see our usernames and other available information on the boards. Its been like that for at least three or four years, but I'll try to check tomorrow on exactly what gets shared.

OK. I quoted a post and shared to my wall. This is what shows up:

Capture.PNG

it basically points to the thread on AZ.

While I totally get what you are saying, AZ always had links to "share" on facebook and being a site accessible on the web the content is technically public and available 24x7 (well, as long as the server is up )

If it makes you feel better the forums syndicated on Facebook are not separate or unique from here, nor do they show any additional information that is personal. Nothing beyond what you would get from a link to a thread hosted here. In other words, it's identical ... Mr. Evil here is just syndicated to there so the forums can be read in a 2nd place. That's all it really is.

I think the problem is that this:
    no one has the right to put that post up on FB
    isn't really true ... any forum or place you post online content can be shared. It can't be copyrighted (ie. copied and claimed as original) but it can be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    It doesn't matter what name it shows up under. If I choose to post something on AZ no one has the right to put that post up on FB regardless of weather it shows up with my AZ user name or real name. I have gone out of my way to stay off FB and I intent to keep it that way. I guess this just means little to no posting on AZ anymore.

This FB add on might be a cool little feature to some, but it seems to cross the line in my book and I have a feeling other will think the same way.

Is your secret identity Geoff?

I understand your concern, Mr. Evil, but this plug-in is really just a tool to make AZ accessible on FB to those who choose to have that convenience. With or without this plug-in anyone could link to, or copy/paste AZ content to FB, just like they could for any other website on the internet. If anything this plug-in puts up less information on a person's wall than would typically be shared by other methods.

Unfortunately to only way to guarantee that your words won't get posted on FB is to stop posting anything to the internet, forever. I guess what I'm saying is the internet is public domain, once your content is out there it's out there and anyone can do whatever they want with it. There are limitations to copyrighted material, but even that is difficult to enforce.

For the record; I don't use this plug-in, nor do I have any intention of ever using it. For me FB has become sort of a necessary evil since that's how a majority of my friends communicate, especially when it comes to hooking up for a MTB ride or something, but I don't want to use it any more than I already have to.
    Brian

Thread Information